Presidency requests Congress reinstate National State of Emergency

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, it turned out to be Sunday:

45 days of State of Emergency just passed in the DR Senate. Now we see what Danilo does with it.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Frankly, I hope they shut the airports back down. There are entirely too many tourists coming in from compromised nations - especially the U.S., and bringing the bug with them.

When they reopen, hopefully they will implement some of the measures being used successfully in other countries. Namely, you don't get in without a Covid-19 test having been taken AND coming up negative within 72 hours of your flight. You can take a test at the DR airport, but have to stay at a controlled hotel or facility until the results come back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What hotels does he own or have stakes in?

Wiki Results

Career
He was elected vice president of the Dominican Revolutionary Party in its 2005 National Convention.

He is currently Executive Chairman of ABICOR Group, which has developed and operated major tourism projects in the country. This family group led the business plan of what is today the company Cementos Santo Domingo, of which he is Vice President.

He has been president of the Association of Hotels of Sosúa and Cabarete and is a member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Hotels and Restaurants (ASONAHORES).

He is member of the Board of Directors of the O&M University's Foundation.

He was recognized by the Rhode Island General Assembly for his career in public service, education, and business. He also received acknowledgments from the City Hall of Boston and the Massachusetts Senate for his contributions to higher education, civic engagement, and community service.

Abinader was the vice-presidential candidate of the Dominican Revolutionary Party in the 2012 election and in 2005 was pre-candidate for senator from the province of Santo Domingo.

nortenomore

Jul 26, 2019
He's just doing what the IMF tells him to do.

That $650 million dollar loan in April came with mask and curfew strings. The reactions of Dominicans to it when they find out should be interesting.

Reactions: GusFring

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Wiki Results

Career
He was elected vice president of the Dominican Revolutionary Party in its 2005 National Convention.

He is currently Executive Chairman of ABICOR Group, which has developed and operated major tourism projects in the country. This family group led the business plan of what is today the company Cementos Santo Domingo, of which he is Vice President.

He has been president of the Association of Hotels of Sosúa and Cabarete and is a member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Hotels and Restaurants (ASONAHORES).

He is member of the Board of Directors of the O&M University's Foundation.

He was recognized by the Rhode Island General Assembly for his career in public service, education, and business. He also received acknowledgments from the City Hall of Boston and the Massachusetts Senate for his contributions to higher education, civic engagement, and community service.

Abinader was the vice-presidential candidate of the Dominican Revolutionary Party in the 2012 election and in 2005 was pre-candidate for senator from the province of Santo Domingo.
Very little to find in the links other than his cement business.

Yes, he is well attached to Tourismo here in "close relations" with the likes of Vicini, Bonetti and Rainieri one would assume.

Certainly a good thing for future development with regards to approvals and permits which is a good thing for the DR.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I hear the AA flight into Puerto Plata every day and just think "plague ship".

Me too... I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to travel right now, excluding any people that go to home / to their families or have to travel for work etc...Many flights to POP come from MIA and that is the worst spot in the US at the moment... I just really hope people and the authorities use their heads...

Reactions: Harleysrock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What hotels does he own or have stakes in?
He was part of a group trying to revamp the resort near Perla Marina in Cabarete. The idea was abandoned after an issue with importing fixtures.
No idea which ones he might be involved in, others will know.

Reactions: GusFring

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Frankly, I hope they shut the airports back down. There are entirely too many tourists coming in from compromised nations - especially the U.S., and bringing the bug with them.

When they reopen, hopefully they will implement some of the measures being used successfully in other countries. Namely, you don't get in without a Covid-19 test having been taken AND coming up negative within 72 hours of your flight. You can take a test at the DR airport, but have to stay at a controlled hotel or facility until the results come back.
I don't every see what you say as ever happening here. But time will tell.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Namely, you don't get in without a Covid-19 test having been taken AND coming up negative within 72 hours of your flight. You can take a test at the DR airport, but have to stay at a controlled hotel or facility until the results come back.

That is just not the way the public health system is using testing in most places right now. It may be easier to do in the USA but other countries don't generally test or even allow testing for travel related purposes. Canada being on of those countries where getting a covid test on your own can be quite difficult, never mind the documented results of such a test.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just spoke to my cousin in NY who is manning the CV19 hot lines in NY . To get test results takes between 5 to 7 days. Impossible to get results for a test made within 72 hours of a flight.

Reactions: Africaida

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
We talked about a possible crime wave before. Imagine now. Even if borders are kept open there will be hardly any tourists