Canada to Rep Dom

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WW - Note sure that I agree with your times from Sosua/Cabarete - to STI about 1 hour 15 mins, to SDQ via Toll roads round Santo Domingo and Santiago 4 hours 15 mins , to Punta Cana about 6 hours via Nagua and the toll roads. That is from fairly recent experiences !

Olly and the Team.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Westjet cancelled all their flights to the DR for September and October yesterday (Sept 13). If you go to their website they are showing their first flight here on Thursday, Nov 5, 2020. It leaves from Toronto and is showing daily flights throughout Nov and Dec.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I does now but previously when I checked it showed flights. Now its shows N/A up to Nov 4.
They are not the most reliable airline I have ever dealt with.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My wife just got off the phone with Westjet and we were re-booked in early November. They assured her they would be flying then unless another massive Covid closure comes up again.
With the Canadian government in near hysterics that there are more cases daily yet they keep testing more people its anyone's guess at this point what will happen.

siamesepat

Jun 24, 2019
WestJet cancelled their September YYZ-POP flights in mid august (purchased on a seat sale in July) due to low demand. Rebooked for October and got word this morning cancelled again. They want me to rebook for November but it'll be lockdown again! Whoever is plotting against me is winning.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
I flew Air Canada direct Toronto to Punto Cana on July 18th,2020
Twice the money,1/2 the service. Ususal AC hospitality
Heading back to 14 day quarantine October 17th,2020

As far as I know, Canada flying down is not open yet.

My wife is 'en route'....
Toronto - Chicago- Newark
overnight
EWR - POP in the AM

Not perfect but no options... flights are still at less than normal routes

From the west - perhaps you can get to FLA or Atlanta to connect....

My point is - it's a peripatetic route.... but possible, nonetheless
Whether it be POP, SDQ or STI.....
Where there's a will - there's a way

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
My husband was eligible for Canadian citizenship at the end of 2019 and applied in January 2020. He likely would have written the exam and had his Canadian passport by July if not for Covid.
His Dominican passport expired this past May. Now his only option is to fly home with an expired passport to renew. Going through the US on a transit visa would likely be a pain. So we’re really hoping there will be Canada-DR flights even though I can’t go until at least next summer due to work/quarantine restrictions.

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
My husband was eligible for Canadian citizenship at the end of 2019 and applied in January 2020. He likely would have written the exam and had his Canadian passport by July if not for Covid.
His Dominican passport expired this past May. Now his only option is to fly home with an expired passport to renew. Going through the US on a transit visa would likely be a pain. So we’re really hoping there will be Canada-DR flights even though I can’t go until at least next summer due to work/quarantine restrictions.
No Dominican consular in your area of Canada to renew his Dominican passport?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
No Dominican consular in your area of Canada to renew his Dominican passport?
Not close. He might as well just make the flight to the DR. So not the only option, but it’s around $130 to renew it in Canada, about $30 in the DR. Once he pays for a flight to Toronto or drives to Calgary, uses a couple of leave days/takes the time off work, maybe pays for a hotel/AirBnB (maybe not) it’s starting to almost approach the same cost/hassle as a decent deal on a flight to the DR. 🤷🏻‍♀️

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
AC canceled all October flights to POP so still not an option as far as I know
AC is still flying to Punta Cana on weekends out of Toronto. Air Transat is also flying on weekends but out of Montreal. I don't know if any Canadian airlines are flying to Santo Domingo but you can always google it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think they ever did use SDQ....

PUJ is very remote for some people --- like me
Even worse for Sos/Cab and Pto Plata

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Am I wrong in assuming that you cannot travel internationally with an expired passport, even to your home country.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Am I wrong in assuming that you cannot travel internationally with an expired passport, even to your home country.
Possibly. We haven’t looked into it or tried booking flights since pre-Covid. We had everything planned to go in April this year but that obviously never happened. If that’s the case he either goes to a consulate here or waits for his Canadian Passport.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Air Canada is now offer the following:
Starting today, new round-trip international flight bookings until and including October 31, 2020 with Air Canada will include complimentary COVID-19 emergency medical and quarantine insurance underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (“Manulife”), Canada’s largest provider of travel insurance.

You can get more info at travel@manulife.com.

Hopefully it will start to get people traveling again. Now if Canada would just relax the 14 day quarantine upon arrival back this just might get some traction.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Possibly. We haven’t looked into it or tried booking flights since pre-Covid. We had everything planned to go in April this year but that obviously never happened. If that’s the case he either goes to a consulate here or waits for his Canadian Passport.
From what I can see he will most likely be getting his DR passport renewed in Canada before goes to the DR if the DR requires it.

If he is a dual citizen, those citizens are normally required to enter the country using the passport of that country in which they are also a citizen.
Since he is a dual Canadian/DR citizen, he probably has to enter the DR on a DR passport, but that is up to the laws of the DR.

But you and I know that immigration laws in the DR are not always adhered to, or it may just be fine for him to use a Canadian passport. That is something to look into.

Reactions: Auryn