RD was my backup plan, but who knows?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
To get a DR driver's license you need a national identity card called a Cedula. To get a Cedula you need residency. You may need to fly home first as the residency process starts at the DR embassy/consulate in your home country. I would recommend hiring some help for the initial residency application. It can be a daunting morass of govt. bureaucracy. I'm not sure there is a way to apply without going home first. You'll need a bunch of documents that you probably don't have with you.
Could you provide us with some info about this topic?

markelbat

Sep 7, 2020
Las Vegas NV
You can drive here for three months on your stateside license, but that's the least of your worries.
An attorney will be happy to take your money.
Cars are expensive here.
It can be difficult to find one without issues.
You really don't want to have an accident here, of which the probability is high if you are driving.

I'm trying to balance wants/needs/realistic possibilities.

If I stay here only one month I'll continue as I am, using taxis and Ubers as needed.

If I stay here 6 months it changes the equation but it still sounds like I'd be better off using Ubers mostly.

A year or more; I'd definitely look much harder at self driving.

I'm kind of unsettled. Santiago is very nice, at least the neighborhood I'm in, and people are polite but I don't know anyone here. The biggest issue for me is that I don't really know how to be retired, especially when so much of the world is closed off to the plans I had made previously. I want to stay in one place for a couple of years at least but I don't think RD is that place.

Sorry for venting a little, and thanks for the helpful input

Reactions: JD Jones

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You can drive here for three months on your stateside license, but that's the least of your worries.
An attorney will be happy to take your money.
Cars are expensive here.
It can be difficult to find one without issues.
You really don't want to have an accident here, of which the probability is high if you are driving.
We don't know about the OP's driving skills, but if he takes care and keeps his wits about him I wouldn't say the chance of an accident is high.
I agree that it's not worth the hassle and expense of buying a car for such a short time, especially as his licence will not cover the entire period, although I expect we all know several people here who continue to drive after that without getting a Dominican licence.
If he is a good motorcycle driver that is an easier short-term option for local use, with the possibility of renting a car for longer trips.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Motorcycle is good if you have a large life insurance policy and someone to collect on it..........

Just drive for as long as you are here. I know people here for 30 years driving with no Cedula or DR license. And yes they have been stopped and nothing happened.

As for an accident you will get the same gringo treatment that we with DR licenses get. Pay, pay, and pay.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Motorcycle is good if you have a large life insurance policy and someone to collect on it..........

Just drive for as long as you are here. I know people here for 30 years driving with no Cedula or DR license. And yes they have been stopped and nothing happened.

As for an accident you will get the same gringo treatment that we with DR licenses get. Pay, pay, and pay.
License or no license,
Cash is and always will be King down here.
Its a cultural thing and I don't think this will
change during either of our lifetimes.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

If I stay here only one month I'll continue as I am, using taxis and Ubers as needed.

If I stay here 6 months it changes the equation but it still sounds like I'd be better off using Ubers mostly.

I'm kind of unsettled. Santiago is very nice, at least the neighborhood I'm in, and people are polite but I don't know anyone here. The biggest issue for me is that I don't really know how to be retired, especially when so much of the world is closed off to the plans I had made previously. I want to stay in one place for a couple of years at least but I don't think RD is that place.

That plan makes a lot of sense.

You may find this hard to believe, but if there were more ubers available in my vicinity, I'd use them 95% of the time, and I own three SUV's.

As for living here, the whole curfew thing is really throwing a damper on everything and really restricts a lot of what you can do.

Reactions: markelbat

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Don't forget about guaguas. They're not that bad and tons cheaper. Plus you get to walk a bit more. Those are all plusses for me.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
lol, you're thinking of Haitian tap taps. Never seen a chicken on a guagua in SD, BC, or SPdM. Those are the only places I've taken one.

Oh yea, and not on Caribe Tours either. :ROFLMAO:

Give it some time. Chickens will be the least of your visuals.

markelbat

Sep 7, 2020
Las Vegas NV
I've been in Cabarete for about a week now. I like it quite a bit and I think I'll stay here through the end of January. I've attempted to use Uber a couple of times but the app says NO CARS AVAILABLE. So I've used taxis and motoconchos a few times with no issues.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Just shout "Ladrona" in front of everybody, and shame her.

I wish I could have thought that fast, because that's a word I know.

However, my reaction was "WTF are you doing" in English in a very loud voice. People around either saw or got the message. I did end up ripping her mask off and throwing it out the guagua window. This happened in mid August if I remember correctly.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Cabarete and Samana are my favourite places on the island.
There are lots of expats in Cab so you will probably meet more people. Try Claro Cafe for breakfast (or any other meal) and Gorditos (their hours are Fri-Mon, 12-7pm until Dec). Try kite-surfing. Head east and checkout Playa Grande, Las Terrenas, Samana.
You just might decide to stay longer.