[history] Why the Dominican Republic was the only country to expand visas to Jews escaping Hitler

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For peoples knowledge base.
The Abinaders’ hometown of Baskinta, Mount Lebanon, is a Christian village in the mountains near Beirut, famous for its “slightly tart apples.” President-elect Abinader’s grandfather, José S. Abinader, immigrated from Baskinta to the Dominican Republic in 1898.

Abinader is not the first Lebanese president of the Dominican Republic. From 1978 to 1982, Jacobo Majluta Azar served as vice president to Antonio Guzmán, and then served as president for 42 days after Guzmán committed suicide.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for the info Bob. I didn’t have time to search any info. about that. Now I don’t have to. There are a lot more Lebanese influences in the DR, but I don’t remember reading any threads other or articles on that. Only information shared from people I’ve met.

Reactions: A.P.Colorado

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
1608578833941.png

Reactions: A.P.Colorado

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I just had time to do the search. There are several threads on Jews in Sosua on DR1 going back to 1999.

My grandfather was in Holland for the liberation so WWII history has always been of interest to me.
Mine was stationed at Pearl Harbor.
Had the pleasure of going with him out to sea
on a battle ship for a (Pearl Harbor) commemorative
wreath laying ceremony to honor the sacrifice of those
young soldiers when I was a child.

Trujillo did take in a lot of Jews during and after the war
and gave them land to farm/ develop/ settle..

Dominicans I know in Sosua tell me it was done to help
whiten the population.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Right - Sosua......
and like the Vietnamese 'boat people'...... these are the cream of crop, not the dregs of society

Those spaces on the Vietnam boats were $250kUS....
try that when your banks are shut, currency is disarray.... etc
You bet the captain slimmed you down on value unless you ahd gold or US cash
I don't want to go off-topic but it needs to be said.
When it comes to how the USA took in Vietnamese
during the US invasion of Vietnam you have no idea
what you are talking about.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't want to go off-topic but it needs to be said.
When it comes to how the USA took in Vietnamese
during the US invasion of Vietnam you have no idea
what you are talking about.
I have no idea how many went to the US - or elsewhere

I'm just citing the cost of their travel

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes! That is one of the main sources I used. Out of print in English so hardcopies are pricey. The e-book was around $25. I can't recommend it enough
I just bought a new paperback version for $30 on Amazon.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think this is just as interesting....

The slave ships to Samana

It wasn't just to Samana, but all over the place from Santiago to Higüey, Santo Domingo to Puerto Plats. They were brought by Haitian dictator Jean Pierre Boyer presumably to darken the Dominican population, though most went back to the USA a few years afterwards. Something about cuty people not getting used to a rural society. There was hardly anyone in Samana when they arrived and this lack of a large presence of people before their arrival is the msin reason thry continue to exist today. Of the ones that stayed elsewhere, they all melted into the population that was aleeady there as they married into Dominican families. Boyer also placed colonies of Haitians in several places to further darken the population. Las Terrenas is actually one of those places as is the case with Don Pedro in Santiago and elsewhere.

Those actions is basically Dominican history. The Dominicans want one thing, but the foreigners impose something else, then the Dominicans gain control again and try to undo what the foreigners had imposed. Rinse and repeat. Dominicans always getting the broken plates which were broken by someone else. lol Then Dominicans are criticized and blames for "breaking" the plates and then trying to clean up the mess.

Anyway, I don't know what that has to do with Jews and consequently this thread since the people settled by the Haitians in Dominican soil were not Jews at all.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you study it -
specifically in Samana - 2-3 boatloads arrived... one was lost at sea

From the PHL area... 1850's thereabouts

As JD said... still speaking English there...Samana

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have always found the English speaking descendants of slaves in Samana to be a fascinating subject. They still speak English as their predecessors did.

In my experience, knowing a couple of families with this background (obvious English last name), only the elders speak English. Their kids and grandkids assimilated and married into the Dominican population and only have their last name (sometimes first name as well) to show for.