US tourists will be tested at their hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Playacribe2. Just because the order is clear, it does not mean it is enforceable. If a US governor wants a quarantine to go alone with Biden, it can happen in that state. Otherwise such a quarantine will not be enforced in states that don't go along with Biden's EO. Biden has no authority to mandate such a quarantine in every state.

Agreed, just the threat of additional issues will reduce travel internationally.

Jan 9, 2004
Playacribe2. Just because the order is clear, it does not mean it is enforceable. If a US governor wants a quarantine to go alone with Biden, it can happen in that state. Otherwise such a quarantine will not be enforced in states that don't go along with Biden's EO. Biden has no authority to mandate such a quarantine in every state.

Agreed, just the threat of additional issues will reduce travel internationally.
Unless challenged the order will stand.

The President has broad powers with EO's and even more so while a national public health emergency exists (just renewed Jan 21st).

His EO while not law, has the effect of law.

I suspect most states will align policy with the order................and those that do not wish to..........will need to challenge it.

The continued negative effect on tourism to the DR will be obvious and clear in the next few months. This is yet another economic blow to a country and economy that is already suffering.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
And another question..........

Say you want to go to the US for a week....
can you go to the airport to leave?
Or is that breaking quarantine?

Transit passengers are exempt - as I read it
The form you fill out on arrival asks your final destination.... if not in that state... your off the hook - IMO

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The form you fill out on arrival asks your final destination.... if not in that state... your off the hook - IMO
Stay tuned for how this quarantine plays out in the states rights versus federal rights area.
The thought that Biden is not going to be challenged on this is unthinkable, in my opinion, that is.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Stay tuned for how this quarantine plays out in the states rights versus federal rights area.
The thought that Biden is not going to be challenged on this is unthinkable, in my opinion, that is.
There's no issue here. Why would a state have a problem withthe federal laws? What's in it for them?

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
There's no issue here. Why would a state have a problem withthe federal laws? What's in it for them?
States (like Texas) take issue with federal laws and executive orders all the time (i.e. the Affordable Care Act) because they take the position that the federal laws and executive orders infringe on the States' individual rights to govern their people. Federal law is supposed to be limited to only a few things, and the States are supposed to have large control over everything else. Current Governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, said while he was the Attorney General, "I go into the office, I sue the federal government, and I go home."

Jan 9, 2004
We are straying from the topic at hand, but an EO is not a law..........but has the effect of law until over turned or discontinued in some fashion.

As pointed out, it is a matter of state versus federal authority...............but given the declared national public health emergency..........the federal government may hold the upper hand here.

Either way, most states are likely to conform without a legal challenge, with the ultimate negative impact on international travel, and more specifically travel to/from the DR.

No matter how easy the AI's make it to get tested, the mere hassle/interruption of getting tested while on vacation and then having to also quarantine, are net negatives for those considering a vacation outside the country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We are straying from the topic at hand, but an EO is not a law..........but has the effect of law until over turned or discontinued in some fashion.

As pointed out, it is a matter of state versus federal authority...............but given the declared national public health emergency..........the federal government may hold the upper hand here.

Either way, most states are likely to conform without a legal challenge, with the ultimate negative impact on international travel, and more specifically travel to/from the DR.

No matter how easy the AI's make it to get tested, the mere hassle/interruption of getting tested while on vacation and then having to also quarantine, are net negatives for those considering a vacation outside the country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Completely agree. If I was working, an international trip would be out of the question due to all the BS. Americans like easy. This ain't it.

Reactions: Big and Clandestino

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let's see. Uhm. How about Republican governors? Yeah, that's it. And it being a state's right, not something a POTUS can EO.

A POTUS cannot even tell people they have to wear masks unless they are on Federal property or travelling between states, or into the US and crossing borders, let alone force them to stay home.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Let's see. Uhm. How about Republican governors? Yeah, that's it. And it being a state's right, not something a POTUS can EO.

A POTUS cannot even tell people they have to wear masks unless they are on Federal property or travelling between states, or into the US and crossing borders, let alone force them to stay home.
You sure about travelling between states? They are in one state or another. That would be that state's call.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I seem to recall something about 24 hours but have forgotton the nitty gritty of the details.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wait !

So you return to the USA for something.... and get it done...

You can't leave !!!???
I highly doubt that......

The quarantine is for you to enter local society.... not to trap you inside the conutry

If logic means anything here

Jan 9, 2004

The powers of the President are greatly expanded under a designated health emergency...........which this is/has been declared.

Again, states can challenge that authority and are free to do so. HHS is currently working on the specific guidelines regarding that incoming international quarantine order.

If there is going to be a challenge to his EO, I expect it will come very soon. Stretching a bit, the President may also be able to invoke the Commerce Clause as support for the authority to invoke a quarantine.

I notice in another thread, someone has already had a cancellation because of the EO.

The virus will likely peak in the next few months...................but the negative economic effects for tourism in the DR will linger for some time.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a similarity to RD here....

Some are challenging the validity of a fine... breaking curfew
This not a 'Law'..... it's a health directive....not punishable by a fine

USA might be facing the same problem

Clandestino

Feb 19, 2013
Please correct me if I am wrong, but IgG and IgM are for antibodies. USA is requiring antigen or NAAT (below I took excerpts of interest added below the link).

This is the source – CDC in USA

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/global-airline-testing-order_2021-01-2_R3-signed-encrypted-p.pdf

Test Results must state:

the test result states “NEGATIVE,” “SARS-CoV-2 RNA NOT DETECTED,” “SARS-CoV-2 ANTIGEN NOT DETECTED,” or “COVID-19 NOT DETECTED.” A test marked “invalid” is not acceptable

Negative Pre-departure Test Result for COVID-19 or negative Qualifying Test result means documentation of a negative COVID-19 test taken within the 3 calendar days preceding a flight’s departure. Such documentation may be in paper or electronic format as required by this Order. Testing must be performed using a viral test. The documentation must also include sufficient verification information—such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.

Viral test means a viral detection test for current infection (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test or a viral antigen test) approved or authorized by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Wait !

So you return to the USA for something.... and get it done...

You can't leave !!!???
I highly doubt that......

The quarantine is for you to enter local society.... not to trap you inside the conutry

If logic means anything here
Anytime I've read about self-quarantine, it meant you can't leave your house except for essential medical services. I never saw going to an airport and getting on a commercial flight included(?).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Please correct me if I am wrong, but IgG and IgM are for antibodies. USA is requiring antigen or NAAT (below I took excerpts of interest added below the link).

This is the source – CDC in USA

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/global-airline-testing-order_2021-01-2_R3-signed-encrypted-p.pdf

Test Results must state:

the test result states “NEGATIVE,” “SARS-CoV-2 RNA NOT DETECTED,” “SARS-CoV-2 ANTIGEN NOT DETECTED,” or “COVID-19 NOT DETECTED.” A test marked “invalid” is not acceptable

Negative Pre-departure Test Result for COVID-19 or negative Qualifying Test result means documentation of a negative COVID-19 test taken within the 3 calendar days preceding a flight’s departure. Such documentation may be in paper or electronic format as required by this Order. Testing must be performed using a viral test. The documentation must also include sufficient verification information—such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.

Viral test means a viral detection test for current infection (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test or a viral antigen test) approved or authorized by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2.
Earliar today I had a talk with a general manager of a large hotel and asked about this free test etc. She said yes we are being ordered to do it BUT the materials being given to us by the government are NOT what the U.S. wants! En seriously? Si. Incredible.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Earliar today I had a talk with a general manager of a large hotel and asked about this free test etc. She said yes we are being ordered to do it BUT the materials being given to us by the government are NOT what the U.S. wants! En seriously? Si. Incredible.

I can completely believe this. I wouldn't be surprised if the hotels had to pay for the tests as well

Yes, exactly this. The tourists who go to AI's want it easy, they don't want to think about being tested. And the requirement to quarantine will have a big impafct. This will be the final blow to a lot of the AI's in my opinion.

Reactions: Big

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
We (Canadians) have been dealing with the hell of self isolation suggested by the federal and provincial governments at the beginning of the pandemic and lately, federally enforced isolation required if your returning from a foreign country. Even if you test negative you are still required to isolate.

Forced isolation in Canada gives you two choices. A choice of an all expense paid one at a government designated facility or one at your residence if you can prove you can isolate effectively at home. Will US travellers have the same option?

Alberta has the shortest program for isolation. A test when you arrive back in the country. If negative you isolate for seven days. After that you test again. If negative your isolation is over. Something like this might be easier for the new administration to sell to many states.

All provinces are on board with the Federal isolation requirements. Enforcement is done by the provinces. The federal emergency decree was done with minimal pushback from the provinces. Political division in the US is still strong. It’s very likely some states will push back hard through the courts and US isolation requirements could be a patchwork similar to mask wearing requirements.

Given the large percentage of US citizens strong resistance to something as simple as wearing a mask, I can’t even begin to imagine how the new federal isolation decree is going to be administered and enforced in the US. I certainly can’t see the US federal government giving you the option of isolating at home or in a government designated facility. It’s a logistical nightmare in Canada. More so in the US with more than ten times the population.

US citizens are about to get a bitter taste of Big Brother in their mouths. The same bitter taste we Canadians have been dealing with since the pandemic began.

The new US administration is emulating aspects of our pandemic response but ignoring the fact that the virus is still spreading faster now in Canada despite our best efforts.

Welcome to another level of Covid hell neighbours.

Reactions: Clandestino
Status
Not open for further replies.