Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Hooooooold on a sec! We were talking about stupid cheap prices, weren't we? Not that it makes sense or not. No fair changing the criteria midstream.

The places I know that prepare a "Plato del dia" have very little overhead and are happy (resigned) to make a
minimum profit. I know more than a few with pretty large fan bases (because I'm surrounded by Free Zones with thousands of employees) and many of them sell 150-200 plates a day of what I think is very good food.
Obviously for low-income folks.

There is a guy who has a colmado down the street from me that sells Juices and Empanadas. He sells them by the hundreds every morning.

Another woman I know started selling pacas from her carport, then bought a 20 ft. trailer box selling clothes, then built a supermarket with a filtered water plant and a small outside bar on the side. And on the second floor of the supermarket? The same clothes she sold from her carport.

All examples of selling cheap and saving their money.
"Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380."
Does that description look like any of those places that sell Empanadas or "Plato del dia" or any other of those low price food places? Atleast I don't know any of those places that you described would serve a Cuba Libre....
So all the time I've been writing here I've been taking into account that type of business.

Yeah I know of those folks aswell, that have the brains and the economy to actually pull that off, but they are rare.
Yeah those places server quite good food, I regularly buy from a local guy who makes very good food for those days you don't want to/have the time to cook on your own (although I still prefer my own cooking :sneaky: ).
And yes the only reason why they are actually in one sense making good money although not bringing in that much per plate, is first of all low overhead and great volume.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Exactly. Only the strong survive in the food business.

Reactions: Caonabo

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yea, but is it enough to support a family? Is it an over or under for the $15k pesos/month, which another thread posted as median income here.
I can tell you three of the food places I visit are selling between 200-300 plates a day, down from an average of 500 a day.

If they make 10 pesos a plate, that's 2k-3k a day they're clearing. So 40K -60K a month minimum.

I'd say they're surviving.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Hooooooold on a sec! We were talking about stupid cheap prices, weren't we? Not that it makes sense or not. No fair changing the criteria midstream.

The places I know that prepare a "Plato del dia" have very little overhead and are happy (resigned) to make a
minimum profit. I know more than a few with pretty large fan bases (because I'm surrounded by Free Zones with thousands of employees) and many of them sell 150-200 plates a day of what I think is very good food.

There is a guy who has a colmado down the street from me that sells Juices and Empanadas. He sells them by the hundreds every morning.

Another woman I know started selling pacas from her carport, then bought a 20 ft. trailer box selling clothes, then built a supermarket with a filtered water plant and a small outside bar on the side. And on the second floor of the supermarket? The same clothes she sold from her carport.

All examples of selling cheap and saving their money.
Plato del Dia...is the only way most Dominicans can eat out...and if they get lucky maybe a small presidente...and yes the one around me have tables and chairs.......

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yea, but is it enough to support a family? Is it an over or under for the $15k pesos/month, which another thread posted as median income here.
No sé‼️
But at least it is income.
Compared to the number of restaurants that have closed during the COVID-19 toque de queda it is most certainly better than nothing.
And remember it is not just enough to make 15K pesos/month.
You must also manage it well.
By not buying Johnnie Walker.
Even if it is current on sale (Red) for less than 1000 pesos in Olé right now.
Some don't even want the working man to get any pleasure if it is not between the legs of his wife or girlfriend.
:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
That's right ‼️
They take hand outs from rich people who live in the buildings where they work.
They except chump change from people who are above giving to them directly and instead send their kids to do it in order to teach them a lesson.
And they buy local instead of Johnnie Walker.

As a side note, Johnnie Walker Red is on sale right now for less than a 1000 DOP/750 ml at Ole.
And I am enjoying my beans and rice prepared by a young chica I am currently having a late supper with.
Just finding a way to make things work for me.
Cause all my life I been poor.🤑

No sé‼️
But at least it is income.
Compared to the number of restaurants that have closed during the COVID-19 toque de queda it is most certainly better than nothing.
And remember it is not just enough to make 15K pesos/month.
You must also manage it well.
By not buying Johnnie Walker.
Even if it is current on sale (Red) for less than 1000 pesos in Olé right now.
Some don't even want the working man to get any pleasure if it is not between the legs of his wife or girlfriend.

There is a lot of pleasure to be gained in moving your family forward, in knowing that you are setting a good example for your kids. Many people get that when they become Adults, others stay in a perpetual adolescence.

Everyday that a poor Dominican doesn't drink, doesn't pay for a prostitute etc means that he has more for his family or for his family. Keep it simple bruh, eat lots of soup, habichuelas, rice and beans, eggs etc

Limit your drinking to once or twice a pay cycle, dont get another woman pregnant and life will get better for you and yours, slowly but surely. Thank God I have never had to live like this, but I have seen many do it and would like to think that i would do the same if God hadnt blessed me with better fortune.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
look for the small places that have a el plato del dia..;. for about $125 pesos, thats how many Dominicans dine out...........

This is so ridiculous, where does one begin.
Plato del dias are geared towards working people, as in people who happen to be working at that hour of mid-day.
Are there not places in your home nation that feature "lunch specials"?
It is hardly "eating out".
Look before you leap, or at least, wipe your Crocs upon entry.

Reactions: Africaida

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
If we are talking about Boca Chica. Bocana actually has by far not teh best food around and i stopped going there long time ago. I do eat at Da Nancy almost daily and at Pequeina Suiza, i do not think their prices went up in the past 5 months.

The quality of Bocana's offerings, staff, and clientele has dropped significantly from what it was pre-C19.
While agreed, it is not the #1 place to dine in Boca Chica, hopefully they can regain their former self this year.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There is a lot of pleasure to be gained in moving your family forward, in knowing that you are setting a good example for your kids. Many people get that when they become Adults, others stay in a perpetual adolescence.
Nah, Bro that ⬆️ that is some seriously wishful thinking.
It is hard, thankless, back breaking work.
To start with nothing and build something.
We all build on the shoulders of our parents.
My Father would be proud to see what I have (and will ultimately build) by the time of my untimely demise.⚰️
Everyday that a poor Dominican doesn't drink, doesn't pay for a prostitute etc means that he has more for his family or for his family. Keep it simple bruh, eat lots of soup, habichuelas, rice and beans, eggs etc
All my life I been poor.
Thank you for that excellent advice.
Wish I had it as a young man.
Might of gotten ahead faster
Limit your drinking to once or twice a pay cycle, dont get another woman pregnant and life will get better for you and yours, slowly but surely.
Thank God I have never had to live like this, but I have seen many do it and would like to think that i would do the same if God hadnt blessed me with better fortune.
Just because someone is willing to do it does not mean they will have success.
You and many others born into :unsure: have no idea what it is like to have to run up the tilted playing field.
And from what I've seen the 🇩🇴 has a even greater slope than in my country of origin.
But you keep believing that :poop: you b tossing out Bro.
Like a broken clock that is right two times a day.
I am sure it will help some poor 🇩🇴 reading DR1 build a better life.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now, I believe the DRGOV should get out of the way of people and let them earn.
Longer hours
Greater demand
More supply of the products restaurants need
Lower prices.

It is simple my man.
And no 🥃 or 👯‍♀️ gonna solve the micro economic problems those of lesser socio economic status are facing here in 🇩🇴.

Sometimes in life you just have to roll a hard six ‼️

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

Would you eat everyday out of that Plato del Dia place?

Would you buy and wear the clothing sold by this lady?

There is cheap, and there is cheap.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

As stated previously.....
"Plato del dias are geared towards working people, as in people who happen to be working at that hour of mid-day.
Are there not places in your home nation that feature "lunch specials"?"
These are far from welfare soup kitchens.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

Mr JD Jones,

Would eat everyday out of that Plato del Dia place?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Haven't eaten there recently, but a couple weeks ago I was checking out prices on the menus of the restaurants on Cabarete Beach. Taking into consideration the recent 10% devaluation of the pesos, prices there didn't seem much different in USD than they were a year ago. Beers and Cuba Libres were around $2.50-$3.00 and dinners ran between $10-$20. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Reactions: HDR
Feb 7, 2007
Tourists have never paid attention to prices. They want, they pay.
Locals in the other hand...

Tourists DO pay attention to prices. Maybe some American tourists don't, but in general terms, any non-insanely-rich tourist does pay attention to prices. And they visit the "best cheap eats" sites etc.

Having said that I haven't seen any increase in food prices in Madrid this January compared to a year before, actually some prices were even lower and many many coupons and special offers like 2x1 and free meal upgrades (free margaritas with a 2x1 takout huge burrito etc. all for 6.99 euros etc.)

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Nah, man ‼️
Most tourists behave as if they are "one week millionaires".
If they really knew how much things cost in 🇩🇴.
Compared to the crazy prices they pay to stay in a AI.
Or eat in a tourist area.
They wouldn't do it.
It is like when we all travel through a airport.
We know the prices are inflated.
But we are hungry.
So we pay the inflated prices anyway.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Mr JD Jones,

Would you eat everyday out of that Plato del Dia place? Probably, I've been doing it for years. She prints a menu every week with different daily choices to offer some variety. Not only that, she delivers (free) if I don't want to leave work.

Would you buy and wear the clothing sold by this lady? Nope, she sells womens clothes. But I have bought quite a few things from her for my lady .....um.... "friends" :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand your point, Rad?

Note: Remember, I have been living here for decades and am probably more "Dominicanized" than many Dominicans. lol

Last edited:

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I'm not sure I understand your point, Rad?

Note: Remember, I have been living here for decades and am probably more "Dominicanized" than many Dominicans. lol

My point is that Plato del Dia is catered for certain population within the DR community. The lady selling the "pacas" clothing its also designed to be bought by obviously the same circle which financially can only afford and are forced to stay with a Plato del Dia as opposed to a dinner at La Cussina in Santo Domingo, these folks are not able to seat and eat brunch at La Dolceria in Santo Domingo either.

Hence, using them and the Plato del Dia as a gauge to measure and define what's cheap in the DR in terms of economy is egregious at best.

Don't give me wrong; I've too mingled at some of these places but don't have the need to do it as a routine. The ones eating Plato del Dia and buying pacas do so because they have no other mean to have access to anything but to that.

Any Expat living that type of life as routine in the DR doesn't do it for pleasure but for necessity.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Any Expat living that type of life as routine in the DR doesn't do it for pleasure but for necessity.
You are dead ⚰️ wrong.
That would mean I rep EAST SIDE‼️
Because I have too.
But, I am completely comfortable with those who think that.:ROFLMAO:
I happen to like street food as opposed to fine dining.
I can burn meat on my grill better than most dining establishments can produce.
But step onto the tennis 🎾 court with me and check out my rags and my stick.
Then tell me I am poor.
I am, but it wouldn't bother me unless you beat me 6-0, 6-0.
You see we all have personal preferences and make lifestyle choices.

Why would I leave my home country in order to duplicate the sort of life I had in it❓
I know I was not interested in doing that.
But then again...
Soy tan barrio.
EAST SIDE‼️

Reactions: irsav