Travel back to Canada after July 5 2021

alke

Apr 7, 2021
Dominican Republic
As Canadians are aware, they can travel back to Canada with less restrictions if they have had "qualifying" vaccines.

What I am wondering, is how quickly vaccinated Canadians are getting through customs upon arrival in Toronto.

In the past (pre-covid), I would have my ride pick me up at the airport 45 minutes after the scheduled arrival time.

How long is it taking to get through customs now? Can anyone describe the process upon arrival at Toronto airport from an international destination?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Just ran the gauntlet late last night. Would say it took about 45 minutes which included a PCR test, which is kinda good because the results take many hours, giving one time to escape.

If you really want the results, better pay attention to the instructions as there are multiple security layers keeping you from finding out.. Turns out I got my childhood address wrong. Seems as though it was 1234.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Just ran the gauntlet late last night. Would say it took about 45 minutes which included a PCR test, which is kinda good because the results take many hours, giving one time to escape.

If you really want the results, better pay attention to the instructions as there are multiple security layers keeping you from finding out.. Turns out I got my childhood address wrong. Seems as though it was 1234.
Are you saying you got a PCR test in Toronto ? Or you brought the results of a PCR test taken within 3 days and were through in 45 minutes.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

Do you have a vaccine? Which one? Were you ask for Vaccine proof? Did you have to go to Quarantine Hotel? I am assuming you have Canadian citizenship or resident as what I understand is the border is not open to foreigners yet?

I hope we can have more details as you are the first one on DR1 to fly to Canada.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Do you have a vaccine? Which one? Were you ask for Vaccine proof? Did you have to go to Quarantine Hotel? I am assuming you have Canadian citizenship or resident as what I understand is the border is not open to foreigners yet?

I hope we can have more details as you are the first one on DR1 to fly to Canada.
I have both Pfizer shots so no quarantine hotel. Not sure what proof they were looking for because they wanted some paperwork and not others. I had the Colombia check-mig form, PCR negative form, paperwork from both Pfizer shots and the arrive Canada form. There was some more paperwork handed out on the airplane and I believe that was still in my hand when leaving YYZ. Seems as though they wanted more paperwork from me to leave Colombia than to enter Canada but some of that info was photographed and I assume sent to the Canadian officials.

The airport couldn't be quicker given the need for another PCR test and the fact that my smart phone wasn't smart enough to register the QR? code for the test results.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I have both Pfizer shots so no quarantine hotel. Not sure what proof they were looking for because they wanted some paperwork and not others. I had the Colombia check-mig form, PCR negative form, paperwork from both Pfizer shots and the arrive Canada form. There was some more paperwork handed out on the airplane and I believe that was still in my hand when leaving YYZ. Seems as though they wanted more paperwork from me to leave Colombia than to enter Canada but some of that info was photographed and I assume sent to the Canadian officials.

The airport couldn't be quicker given the need for another PCR test and the fact that my smart phone wasn't smart enough to register the QR? code for the test results.
Thank you for the details, the key for Canada is you had Both Pfizer shots and the PCR test.

Canadians expats living in DR with both Sinovac shots(China) still not officially accepted in Canada to bypass Covid Hotel and Quarantine.

alke

Apr 7, 2021
Dominican Republic
Thank you for the details, the key for Canada is you had Both Pfizer shots and the PCR test.

Canadians expats living in DR with both Sinovac shots(China) still not officially accepted in Canada to bypass Covid Hotel and Quarantine.
Correct.

( https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada )

Accepted vaccines:
  • Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
Vaccines not currently accepted for fully vaccinated status in Canada:
  • Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)
  • Cansino (Convidecia, Ad5-nCoV)
  • Gamalaya (Sputnik V, Gam-Covid-Vac)
  • Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm-Wuhan)
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)
  • Vector Institute (EpiVacCorona)
  • Other
The list of accepted vaccines may expand in the future.

You also must have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In addition to having a double dose of an approved vaccine, the real PCR test seems to be the biggest hurdle for those leaving the DR wishing to enter Canada. Still lots of labs offering what they call PCR tests in this country that may or may not be sufficient to meet the requirements. Still lots of confusion as to where to have this Covid testing done and it is a bit late to adjust when standing at the counter in an airport or in line at immigration in Canada and someone says "wrong test".

Feb 15, 2006
www.villasmarlena.com
Correct.

( https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada )

Accepted vaccines:
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • Other

You also must have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada
We arrived by land July 10. Arrivecan had Sinovac as an opiton for vaccination. after a few phone calls we received an email exempting us from Quarantine due to the Sinova vaccinaton being accepted.

Feb 15, 2006
www.villasmarlena.com
Correct.

Accepted vaccines:
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • Other

We actually received exemption to our quarantine based on the Sinovac vaccination. We were obviously very pleased

Reactions: Yes Alfredo

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We arrived by land July 10. Arrivecan had Sinovac as an opiton for vaccination. after a few phone calls we received an email exempting us from Quarantine due to the Sinova vaccinaton being accepted.
Could you let us know who you made these phone calls to? That would be a great help for anyone entering Canada that has had the 2 Sinovac vaccines.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Turns out the automated system just sent me an email about an "at home" test to be performed later. It seems there is a glitch in the system which can't tell the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. Thankfully they answered the phone and told me to disregard the email.

Feb 15, 2006
www.villasmarlena.com
Could you let us know who you made these phone calls to? That would be a great help for anyone entering Canada that has had the 2 Sinovac vaccines.
We first spoke to health Canada and then they told us to call the Border Agency. They told us we needed to point that out when we crossed the border. So if the agent does not say anything I would point it out as they can approve it right there. YOu would only need to do the first test and skip the one on the 8th day if you tested negative.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I know folks who have flown to Canada direct - Punta Cana to Toronto. A family member flew last Saturday. They had NO vaccine but had all the documents required to prove Covid recovery within the last 3 months.

NO TEST REQUIRED AT AIRPORT.
NO 8 DAY FOLLOWUP TEST REQUIRED.
NO COVID HOTEL QUARANTINE
14 DAY QUARANTINE REQUIRED

I also read here that a DR1 member landed in Toronto from Columbia recently. See post #2 and #9 in this thread. Fully vaccinated. They stated that they were processed in about 45 minutes INCLUDING a PCR test. I don't understand this because, as I understand it, test results from a true PCR test cannot be processed in that short time.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I know folks who have flown to Canada direct - Punta Cana to Toronto. A family member flew last Saturday. They had NO vaccine but had all the documents required to prove Covid recovery within the last 3 months.

NO TEST REQUIRED AT AIRPORT.
NO 8 DAY FOLLOWUP TEST REQUIRED.
NO COVID HOTEL QUARANTINE
14 DAY QUARANTINE REQUIRED

I also read here that a DR1 member landed in Toronto from Columbia recently. See post #2 and #9 in this thread. Fully vaccinated. They stated that they were processed in about 45 minutes INCLUDING a PCR test. I don't understand this because, as I understand it, test results from a true PCR test cannot be processed in that short time.
I got the negative PCR test result long after leaving the airport, as stated in my post #2.