Opinions, please.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Precisely,
I just changed tires on my US car. It ahd the originals on it.
Was built in summer 2015 (MY2106).....

Bought Toyo Proxes III.....

The Asian tires are very good....from all reviews...Hankook, toyo, etc
I have had two sets of Chinese tires. Ones I bought for a Santa Fe the other that came on a Kia Sorento. Forget them - they are inferior in wear, ride and useful life.
And they aren't going to save enough to make it worth your sacrificed quality

• Wow
Reactions: La Profe_1

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hankooks are Korean... Toyo is Japanese....study up on them...among others
I'll be honest with you, I'm limiting myself to Hylsa or Pricesmart, so it's going to depend on what they have in stock.

Pricesmart only has the Bridgestone Dueler (Which I'm leaning towards)

The size I'm looking for is slightly harder to find: 265/65R18

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Hankooks are Korean... Toyo is Japanese....study up on them...among others

They make awesome tires and I believe, if memory serves, that Cobraboy's analysis showed that there are plenty of Asian/Chinese tires that are great value and better than the big name brands. https://dr1.com/forums/threads/tires.124479/post-1709758

Also, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I get tired.... of the blatant racism and prejudice from a few of my fellow members ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, excellent tires..... there was a time, many moons ago, that the reputation was not as good

Not now

JD, the Duelers are very good tires....my 2005 Wrangler had them

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They make awesome tires and I believe, if memory serves, that Cobraboy's analysis showed that there are plenty of Asian/Chinese tires that are great value and better than the big name brands. https://dr1.com/forums/threads/tires.124479/post-1709758

Also, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I get tired.... of the blatant racism and prejudice from a few of my fellow members

JD
My M-UX came w/ the Duelers HT..... made in Taiwan my Isuzu.....Chico will flip
I have no issue with Korean, Japanese or Taiwan products.
China and Vietnam tires yeah they are bad.
Consumer reports suggests to expect 1/3 the wear life and poor stopping power.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Remind me -- who is looking to buy Chinese tires ?

I'm a bit lost....
We were talking Asian tires, and I mentioned with the exception of Chinese and that kicked it off.
I have Jingalongs on my Kia and they are pure junk. I have less than 5,000 miles on them since I bought the vehicle with them on it and then they were new then, now half worn out. I had 2 Blackhawks before and they were slightly better - but got bubbles in the sidewalls soon after purchase.
They might get 12,000 miles out of the Jingalongs before being shot and they corner horribly.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

Also, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I get tired.... of the blatant racism and prejudice from a few of my fellow members ;)
What a joke! A man doesn't like foreign tires and he's a racist. Lmao

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is from the Chinese tire thread..... Chico was in it
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Cobraboy responding to LTSteve
I would stay away from Chinese tires. You are better off spending a little more and getting a better quality. As you well know, tires in the DR take a beating and that is the only thing between you and the road. I once bought a tire made in Canada and it was a very good quality and the price wasn't bad. Sorry, can't remember the mfgr. name. Don't buy cheap tires you are throwing away money. The other thing to look for when buying in the DR is the date on the tire. If it is an older date the tires have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere and the quality is no long the same as when they were fairly new.
If your post was dated maybe 2003, it might be true.
But in 2018 the statement is no longer accurate. To assume that Chinese tire buyers are not as concerned about safety as North Americans is a silly prejudice.
Quality of Chinese products has made quantum leaps right before our eyes in virtually every category.
Tires are no different. Most manufacturers buy production equipment from the same vendors as "name brands", and that equipment is often not made in the US. They buy raw materials from the same vendors. They have pirated industrial process engineers and consultants from the name brands to oversee production. They employ and are judged by ISO9001 standards, just like the "name brands."
Most electronics are now made in China and few complain about quality---including Apple fanbois.
Harley and Piaggio have their parts made in China and few have quality issues with them. Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental are all there building tires in China, and Pirelli’s biggest factory is located there. Expensive Sony TV's are made in China.
I'm on my fourth set of Chinese tires on my SUV and E350 van (van LT tire pressure: 75psi) with *zero* issues after many tens of thousands of miles in the roughest of conditions in the DR. And I am a serious gearhead and know machines with wheels, wings, keels and transoms...including tires.
Buying a brand of Chinese tires produced in an ISO9001 factory is not throwing your money away. You just aren't paying for union wages and job rules, onerous environmental regulations, SEC and gubmint compliance costs, enemy-from-within HR departments and other expensive components embedded in every product.
The Chinese tires mentioned in this thread are DOT certified if US gubmint approval is important to you. Each is rated for traction, heat and wear. One can use these ratings in their purchase choices.
FWIW, a good friend from high school is an industrial engineer whose bulk of his consulting work is with Chinese tire manufacturers who are copying US technology and equipment, particularly from Firestone, under joint agreements.
But, as usual, opinions vary, some with more knowledge than others.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
But when I said Hankook and Toyo you took off on Chinese....

Doesn't follow, IMO..... but whatever !!???
I like Hankook - Had them on my Trooper. Had some Z-Rated Toyos on an Alpha I owned years ago- Both excellent brands.
If you stick with ones you know then probably all will be fine
The best tires I every owned were Goodyear Wranglers - lasted forever and I drove them on an SUV to Costa Rica and never had even a flat.
It doesn't take much to get me to lay into inferior Chinese products. I was 'triggered'

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tires tires tires…..

DF6D5338-8B12-4752-A56E-F30E08B0C0B5.jpeg

Reactions: Big

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Apparently sticking with name brands (even if made in China) you will be OK
But if it is not manufactured under a Western brand avoid the Chinese brands.

I never had Kuhmo tires - Are those sold in DR. Anyone have an opinion on those ?

Getting back to the OP post - You have a heavy (and valuable) Prada - Maybe look for F-load range tires from a major manufacturer. F is equivalent to a 12-ply rating

Reactions: JD Jones