Sosua: Marriott Just Opened a New Luxury Resort in the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sometimes all that is needed is a change of name and brand, mostly psychological in nature. That's the way of business. The Hard Rock Resort in Bávaro was built as a Moon Resort. The Mexican owners were not happy with assistance. The place was converted to the Hard Rock and haven't seen back ever since.
A name change perhaps but also people showing up that want to pay the price. Ganesvoort could have been a street name in my home town, but as a hotel name I never heard of it before so there was no brand recognition there. Perhaps because I never made it to being a 1 percenter.

Did you like the Moon but not the Hard Rock?

As for the Marriott hotel now open in Sosua:

Nightly rates on the Marriott web site for the Marriott Ocean Club in Sosua are from $588 USD for a

1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Ocean view, Balcony​

to $2,430 USD for the

Bi-Level with Rooftop, 4 Bedroom Penthouse Suite, Oceanfront, Roof Top Terrace​

(Where's Big to say it is not open or he cannot use his MARRIOTT points? )

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My prediction is that the Marriott in Sosua will be closed before the W in Cabarete is ever opened.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
My prediction is that the Marriott in Sosua will be closed before the W in Cabarete is ever opened.
The hotel may not close but they will stop paying Marriot to use their web site as no one is paying 580 a night (U.S)for a room in Sosua.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The W in Cabarete to offer daily excursions to Mojito Bar 2fer1 long island iced tea happpy hour and Callejón de la Loma. Clients paying 800/night will enjoy the dusty road #5 and polluted Cabarete Bay

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The W in Cabarete to offer daily excursions to Mojito Bar 2fer1 long island iced tea happpy hour and Callejón de la Loma. Clients paying 800/night will enjoy the dusty road #5 and polluted Cabarete Bay
I guess you don't like Cabarete, eh? To each their own. Some people actually like Sosua. Go figure.

I wonder why Marriott finds it worthwhile to build a W resort to replace the old Club Azul resort , already with an Ocean Club in Sosua and of course the failed attempt at a Ritz Carlton Reserve?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I guess you don't like Cabarete, eh? To each their own. Some people actually like Sosua. Go figure.

I wonder why Marriott finds it worthwhile to build a W resort to replace the old Club Azul resort , already with an Ocean Club in Sosua and of course the failed attempt at a Ritz Carlton Reserve?
Does Marriott actually build hotels now, more interesting news. I thought they only owned a small percentage of their properties and managed and licensed others for a fee. Thanks for the info

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Both in you current persona and your previous one, you seem to feel the need to constantly knock Cabarete. The Mojito bar is the most popular on the beach so obviously many people don't share your negative opinion of it. How is the main street (Route 5) any more dusty than any other road in the country? What is your evidence of Cabarete bay being polluted - any more than any other beach that you don't choose to knock?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Idk. I know about Hilton and Marriott because Bob told me. I don't know what you mean by Trump. Are you ok?
Trump licenses his name for "branding" use on projects. Like some are saying the Marriott Ocean Club in Sosua is simply branded with Marriott's name.
Or perhaps the "W" in Cabarete. I have no idea why this really matters to us, but it certainly does to those directly involved financially.

Did you not know that about Trump selling his brand? Even here in the DR in Cap Cana that was attempted and many left holding the bag.

I am fine, are you?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Both in you current persona and your previous one, you seem to feel the need to constantly knock Cabarete. The Mojito bar is the most popular on the beach so obviously many people don't share your negative opinion of it. How is the main street (Route 5) any more dusty than any other road in the country? What is your evidence of Cabarete bay being polluted - any more than any other beach that you don't choose to knock?
Some people just don't like certain areas of the DR. I hate Santo Domingo. El Hijo de Manolo just doesn't care for Cabarete.

But let us get back to how long The Marriott Ocean Club will keep the Marriott brand.
Prices do seem to be a bit high for Sosua even for the high rollers that frequent it. That is a joke in case you don't get it. You know the high rollers that if they disappeared so would Sosua? LOL

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Trump licenses his name for "branding" use on projects. Like some are saying the Marriott Ocean Club in Sosua is simply branded with Marriott's name.
Or perhaps the "W" in Cabarete. I have no idea why this really matters to us, but it certainly does to those directly involved financially.

Did you not know that about Trump selling his brand? Even here in the DR in Cap Cana that was attempted and many left holding the bag.

I am fine, are you?
I don't know much about Mr Trump, but thank you for the info

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
My wife and I went to Ocean Club for dinner last night. It was our anniversary, so price wasn't much of an issue. The resort was very busy with families. It was hard to tell if they were light skinned Dominicans or Spaniards. The menu prices are in American dollars and are the same prices as back home. Expensive for Sosua, but normal otherwise. The most expensive plate was a Tomahawk steak at USD$195.00....crazy price even for back home. Pasta and fish plates range from $28-36. Wine starts at $15/glass. Food and service were both excellent. Underground valet parking is also available.

Status
Not open for further replies.