How Much Money to Live Comfortably in Santo Domingo?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I know a lot of y’all would say that depends on yo out lifestyle ; but please try to give an answer with a number for someone who is a middle aged man and cares about safety MORE than flashing/flexing a nice a car

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Rey - why so many question posts? Are you trying for some kind of record on spamming DR1?
But if you need to ask how much you need that is such a variable - depends on the lifestyle you want?
Come rent cheap and observe for yourself

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
King, I spend $550 USD on rent for a 3bdr house in Boca Chica. $18 per month on electricity. $600 a month for food, including restaurants. $22 on the gym. $20 every 6 months on propane. And maybe another $100 a month on transportation. $75 for phone internet and home wifi (very shitty).
Not bad. Which area in Boca do you recommend, sir?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Shouldn't cost much as long as you never go anywhere. Safety first.
Good point. Know before you go.
I don't know anyone (foreigner or Dominican) who has lived in SD for more than a few years who has not been a victim of random street crime... this includes myself getting pick pocketed.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This for example is considered a good and safe neighborhood. https://www.point2homes.com/DO/Cond...R-EN-LA-JULIA-SANTO-DOMINGO/132484762. Dehtml You dont need a car in Santo Domingo. Public transport, cabs, uber all cheap. I cant give you an accurate number but if you aren't a big drinker, restaurant goer you can easily live comfortably on 2000-2500$ US. Less if you are a frugal person.
I Will live like a king on less than that, of course not in SD. Santiago or Sosua are cheaper than the capital.

JJ

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The OP asked how much it is to live in Santo Domingo, and with a lot of respect, Boca Chica is 40 mins drive from Santo Domingo and a completely different place.

In Santo Domingo I would set a budget of about US$1,000 to rent an apartment, that will get you a reasonable condo in a safe area. US$2,000 will get you somewhere nice in a top-end condo. Supermarkets and restaurants in the capital are now way more than the US and I think you'll need at least US$ 500 for food and drink. And I'd probably suggest about US$ 100 a month for electricity. I have three apartments in the capital and even though we try to keep the electricity usage down as much as possible it's always clocking in at a minimum RD$ 6,000. Fridges, AC's and Inverters all use a lot of power.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Good point. Know before you go.
I don't know anyone (foreigner or Dominican) who has lived in SD for more than a few years who has not been a victim of random street crime... this includes myself getting pick pocketed.

Me, I have never been a victim of random street crime. I've had more serious crimes but never been pickpocketed or mugged. And I don't think I know anyone who has been mugged or pickpocketed, but admittedly all my friends go round in private vehicles or in Uber.

• Wow
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme