Water Supply Problems on the North Coast

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well, you have to consider how much one is paying for water. I have no idea how much corraplata charges customers, or how ---- a meter, per month, etc ...

In my case, the water delivery system is locally owned, though corraplata wants to change that, thankfully as it is the DR that has been ongoing for years, and, hopefully, years to come.

I pay 300 pesos per month, well actually 150 pesos 2 times as I have 2 connections, ie 2 pipes coming off the main circuit.
For that price you get water for a couple of hours every other day ( well 2 days out of 3 when water is plentiful ).
I have no problem keeping a huuuge underground cistern at least half full, and the tinacos are never dry. Unless there is a problem, like a burst pipe somewhere along the distribution line.
Every man and his dog should be using a ladrona, small pump that augments water flow when they do send water to your house.

I used to complain about the water situation, but when I compare the price over a year, around 50$ for me !!!!!! to back home, I'll take the DR system anyday.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
After reading the entire thread it seems like drilling your own well and opting out of the system is the only solution right now up north.
I don't live up north. But both I and my neighbors have had problems with our shallow (less than 50 wells). We have all had to drill new ones.
One neighbors made three dry holes before he made a wet one.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
After reading the entire thread it seems like drilling your own well and opting out of the system is the only solution right now up north.
I don't live up north. But both I and my neighbors have had problems with our shallow (less than 50 wells). We have all had to drill new ones.
Totally agree. We rent, but the home was built by an Englishman, probably around 25 years ago. I don't know how deep it is but it's working well and we haven't paid 1 peso in water bills (except for bottled drinking water) in almost 3 years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most people in my area are getting by with using a cistern (5,000 gallons) and pump/pressure tank system. The cistern gets filled very slowly by CORAAPPLATA every few days and a pump and pressure tank system are used to provide water to their houses. Of course this requires electricity, which is on most of the time. Now power, no water, no matter how much is in the cistern. Some will say to put a tank on the roof for gravity feed. Houses where I am were not built for that.

For those with higher water usage requirements a well is the next best option over having to pay for water delivery trucks after you run out of water. Keep in mind that just putting in your own well without approvals is not legal, but we all know what people say about laws.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Totally agree. We rent, but the home was built by an Englishman, probably around 25 years ago. I don't know how deep it is but it's working well and we haven't paid 1 peso in water bills (except for bottled drinking water) in almost 3 years.
Even if you never use the local government water company, you are supposed to pay them a monthly fee for that well.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not everywhere will a well be successful for wells.
Ask your neighbors and a local well driller if there is water there - some of the smart old timers will know.

Or do some witching. I used to doubt 'dowsing' but then an old guy at the Water District where I worked for out of college taught me how to use two bent copper rods to find underground pipe ( works on empty pipe too). And it was always successful within about 18"

I have seen several dry holes nearby me, even down 200', and the money just went poof.
Even if you hit water the drawn-down might mean the pump runs dry as you suck the level down ( and it can drop very quickly too), and I have seen this on two wells in my neighborhood and even after a very close neighbor replaced a burnt out pump his second one burned out too.

What we need is Corraplata on the North Coast (this thread) to deliver what they charge for. A competent manager could have the system cleaned up in 18-24 months with leaks fixed, illegals connections cutoff and water pumps working. Doesn't take a genius - just someone with a work ethic that knows how to lay down the rules for those that want to keep their job.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed what is needed is the government utility to fix the problem. CORAAPPLATA is clueless.

Another point is that some houses on the north coast might find water when they dig a well, but it might it might have salt in it because they are too close to the ocean, or be too close to septic systems and be polluted. Wells won't work for everyone

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Water Testing _ where to get testing done?

I am looking for somewhere that is officially recognized to test a number of water sample. Some from Wells, some from other sources and our own cistern water.
Can anyone suggest a place, what the procedure is and what it costs per sample?

Thanks in advance

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Water Testing _ where to get testing done?

I am looking for somewhere that is officially recognized to test a number of water sample. Some from Wells, some from other sources and our own cistern water.
Can anyone suggest a place, what the procedure is and what it costs per sample?

Thanks in advance
Quick down and dirty method. (Doesn't give pH)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Keep in mind that a TDS meter will not tell you if your well water contains bacteria or harmful chemical runoff. Best to find a lab if one exists that specifically tests well water for potability, use for bathing, laundry etc. Good luck.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
You all on the north coast might find the recent Meeting minutes with Coraapplata by Perla Marina Dissorolla interesting and informative. This was a followup to the earlier meeting referenced in this thread. As it was posted in a public FB page I feel it is important for all on the North coast.

Attachments

• (EN) Minutes of Coraapplata Perla Marina HOA meeting 19april2023.pdf
    209.7 KB · Views: 122

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting Olly, especially the water table dropping discussion and the amnesty on wells already done clandestinely.

Who would not like to see "Yassica Lake"? I won't be holding my breath that any of these changes actually happen.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Weren't these wells supposed to be drilled in El Choco several years ago?

Olivar Brugal - any connection to the Brugal family?