Politicians resort to offer meals to entice votes

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think generation Z will bring some change. They seem smarter. Better at English for instance. In the capital.
Generation Z - they are often lazy, refuse to pay back their student loans, think they will be able to just work remotely and have been indoctrinated by government Wokeness and have social media addiction.
On top of that they were vaccinated with a cancer causing, heart attack inducing vaccine and they're like ticking time bombs to thwart their longevity.
If you think Gen Z is the future we're screwed.
They have the lowest 'thriving' rate of any generation.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It's very common. It obviously works or they wouldn't be doing it. I've also seen music blaring from speakers as well. It's just a different culture, one that they can keep.
Exactly, and not even the worst I have seen... A few years back, one political candidate, I think, was throwing money to the crowd while standing on a pick-up truck...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Back in 2016 one candidate was handing out $250 peso coupons.
Valid only if he wins

I have a copy of one of the coupons.

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I remember one year when Amable threw 2 lb sausages from a helicopter causing a few injuries shades of Les Nessmen throwing frozen turkeys if you ever watched US tv show WKRP in Cincinnati.
”As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”. One of the best lines ever from one of the funniest WKRP sitcoms. The Barney Miller hash brownie episode Is also one of the best.

My Luperon friend made the mistake of trying to promote a business venture during a National election. He ended up spending a small fortune on food and booze catering to both parties. Both parties also wanted cash contributions. Elections are what they are, a chance to grift, pay off old debts, reward the party faithful, and promise everyone everything.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Generation Z - they are often lazy, refuse to pay back their student loans, think they will be able to just work remotely and have been indoctrinated by government Wokeness and have social media addiction.
On top of that they were vaccinated with a cancer causing, heart attack inducing vaccine and they're like ticking time bombs to thwart their longevity.
If you think Gen Z is the future we're screwed.
They have the lowest 'thriving' rate of any generation.

Aren’t you describing the American gen Z ? Maybe it’s different here. A step up as they grew up with the internet, smartphones and social media. Where the generation before had nothing.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Back in 2016 one candidate was handing out $250 peso coupons.
Valid only if he wins

I have a copy of one of the coupons.
Just last year at a small village nearby Santiago:
- Chocolate boxes with the face of the candidate for Mothers Day
- Xmas Bonuses at Christian churches with the face of the candidate hiddent on the debit card

- Yesterday update @SantiagoDR @bob saunders (targeted to millenials and Gen Z in Santo Domingo: free drinks at Drink2Go this Saturday):

Reactions: aarhus

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Aren’t you describing the American gen Z ? Maybe it’s different here. A step up as they grew up with the internet, smartphones and social media. Where the generation before had nothing.
Yeah that's all I can reference. Don't know many - Millennials had all that too.
The things you listed don't make them smarter or more productive if they don't use it judiciously and learn software.
TikTok, Facebook and YouTube are just mind-numbing electronic pacifiers. They will be overgrown babies if that's how they use it

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Yeah that's all I can reference. Don't know many - Millennials had all that too.
The things you listed don't make them smarter or more productive if they don't use it judiciously and learn software.
TikTok, Facebook and YouTube are just mind-numbing electronic pacifiers. They will be overgrown babies if that's how they use it
I don’t know if millennials in the DR had access to the same media as early. I mean them having the same access to tools, apps and information equally to everywhere else. Really it’s just a theory of mine that here it may help them catch up. Kids in the barrios and in the campo. You may phrase it then as they will be equally stupid as American kids haha

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Where we live not the current mayor, but the one before him paid the town drunks rum every month while he was in office. never did a darn thing other that that with all the money he got. Had 3 girl friends , maybe a wife, some girl friends got pregnant, and a nice new truck.
Life is good

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
As foreigners living in the DR as Guests we have to adapt !.... Therefor: everybody that's invites me to SBG for Dinner gets my vote.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucifer and tee

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Many Dominicans will take whatever the gift is from any Politician and still vote for whoever they want.
There it is ! 👆

Miesposa said the exact same thing ....Most Dominicans are smarter than the políticos give them credit for. They know the deal....fool me twice....shame on you... now, let's eat.....dame algo. If you want to "buy" my "promise"( to vote for you) ...that's on you.🇩🇴😁 For the politicians ...a big turnout (albeit for sancocho or rum) is good optics ...so ...win-win . Pun intended.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Potential candidates paying for votes by whatever means is their first step on the road to political corruption. Small wonder they become more corrupt the longer they stay in politics.

How can the system change for the better if all parties engage in these practices? Other countries political parties do similar things but usually in a low key manner. Our incumbent parties rush to spend money on badly needed infrastructure projects prior to an election to gain votes. Bad enough because it ends up increasing our government debt but not as wasteful as buying food and booze for voters and paying off their debts. At least we get better roads, bridges, schools, etc.

The blatant vote buying in the DR and its media coverage gives it a level of acceptability and makes it’s the norm. As El Hiho says, “Nothing changes if nothing changes”.

If President Abinader is able to get at some of these root causes of political corruption, he may be able to reduce or eliminate them. A journey of a thousand miles but one worth taking. He’s already taken the first step.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes we are waiting for our new asphalt here
🤣 I hope you get it. At least that’s a long term benefit, not like food and booze. We had one political leader so arrogant he said he could run a yellow dog in any district and get it elected. He was corrupted and in power far too long.

One of my friends in Costambar,a Canadian lady, has a Dominican companion who is running in the upcoming election. a decent hard working fellow, executive chef by profession. He has the best of intentions but I know, at some point, he will become part of the DR political norm. It’s hard to resist.