Gazcue Restaurants & Activities

SantoRob

Dec 16, 2007
Hello and Good day everyone,

I will be coming back down to the good ole DR in a couple of weeks. However this time I will be staying in Gazcue. I have visited there before so I know about the Jaragua. But can anyone recommed for the some of the following. All as close to the gazcue area as possibe: within walking distance or taxi is fine, and most importantly inexpensive.

1. Extended stay hotels. Nothing fancy, but A/C and laundry would be nice. Remember price is the major deciding factor here. Will sacrifice amenities to save $$$$.
A. Any reviews/opinions on the: Hotel Danae calle danae 18 Gazcue
or the Hotel La Residence, which seems to be right near the Danae.

2. Inexpensive restaurants - serving semi american type cuisine, or simple chicken and rice dishes.

3. Nightlife - not the whorehouses.

4. Cabanas - ( I know # 3, but I already know where the casas are.

Also any input on the following would be nice.

1 A good resource for finding apartments in the Gazcue area. (already know about this site and supercasas.com

2. Any local (to Gazcue) DR1ers, who wouldn't mind showing a newby some of the sights and ropes.

3. A car service that could be hired to transport me to and from the Zona Franca de San Isidro a couple days. WOuld this be cheaper than taxis.

4. The best bank to use if living in that area.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some helpful ideas.

Rob

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I've used El Se?orial for 20 years or so. Run by Swiss, on the Parque Infantil (the Boy Scout park on the Malecon), calle Presidente Burogs, one block south of Independ?ncia. Reasonbly priced, free breakfast, friendly. Will give a long term rate.

IMO Gazcue has the best restaurants in SD, but Hermanos Villars, just a couple of blocks from Se?orial on Independ?ncia has haute cuisine dining, cafeteria, a terrific NY deli style sandwichera, take out service, panaderia AND deli.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
IMO Gazcue has the best restaurants in SD, but Hermanos Villars, just a couple of blocks from Se?orial on Independ?ncia has haute cuisine dining, cafeteria, a terrific NY deli style sandwichera, take out service, panaderia AND deli.

Yes indeed, a great little spot located at Avenida Independencia and Pasteur. Be sure to try the Cuban Sandwich from the deli section.

2iurklw.jpg

Another one of my favorite places is El Conuco. It is really a tourist restaurant but it has such a nice atmoshpere. Be sure to bring company with you for your dining pleasure.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are some good restaurants in Gazcue but many more in the Colonial Zone and the Naco/Piantini area - the bakeries there are much better than Hnos. Villar.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I've used El Se?orial for 20 years or so. Run by Swiss, on the Parque Infantil (the Boy Scout park on the Malecon), calle Presidente Burogs, one block south of Independ?ncia. Reasonbly priced, free breakfast, friendly. Will give a long term rate.

I heartily concur on this hotel. Also, the restaurant in the hotel is exactly what you seem to be looking for. It is Swiss, but great food, large portions, and very reasonable prices for SD. Try the Chololate Souffle with fruit and marshmellows for desert.