English School gets broken into

barfly

May 21, 2009
keeping it real

what a nice person u r 4 doing this good work.

to live in the DR successfully means not being a target. U make u r self a target when u have valuables. So teaching without computers is something 2 consider. In fact the only possible solution.

The DR is 2 choatic a place 2 do what u want 2 do. That the cold hard reality of the place. This is very sad 4 the people of the dr. When I lived there I paid a guard 2 watch my place....it was robbed. It is the social reality of the place. This is why the DR will see no real progress in its future. If a bussiness or school cant operate without being so routinly robbed their is no future 4 that country. The future is technology. I can give u story after story about this but i will not bore u.

These poor sweet children have no future beyound being limpia botas or prostitutes.
Crime is so endemic in the DR that it is normalized. To be fair the US right now is being looted by the bankers 2 the tune of 14 trillion dollars, they are asking the fed 4 another 8 trillion.

As has been mentioned by other posters.... teach with black board only...u dont need computers. It warms my heart to see good people like u in this world.
Don't be discouraged by the trolls and those with personality disorders on this site.

Good luck.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
These poor sweet children have no future beyound being limpia botas or prostitutes.
Crime is so endemic in the DR that it is normalized. To be fair the US right now is being looted by the bankers 2 the tune of 14 trillion dollars, they are asking the fed 4 another 8 trillion.

Good luck.

There are innumerable poor children in the DR that have numerous options besides being shoeshine boys or prostitutes. I know literally hundreds of children in Jarabacoa that will be neither. The numerous good choices these children have the options of making, even with 25% unemployment.

barfly

May 21, 2009
keeping it real

hi bob

I hate being so negative. These children deserve better. The Dominican republic has a wholely substandard educational system. The class rooms often have no electricity and there is no access to a quality library or computer. They lack books and often the teachers themselves are poorly trained and supported. Most of these children face a life of economic struggle with no government safety net to help them.
The middleclass in the dr is growing but very small. The vast majority of dominicans earn no more than a couple thousound dollars a year and thats if they r lucky. Look around the dr , there are few fat people.
Of course the US has its growing economic problems....hopefuly we will not see a depression.
But life is not about money. U can live a good life with very little. To live in a country with such warm and kind people is a compensation of sorts.
U do good work bob but u face many challenges.
to be successful in the dr ...u will have to conform to the harsh realities of that country. U will have to think more like a dominican...when in rome.

good luck bob......I miss the DR