If you're a tourist and you still think you can drive in The DR...

shawn27

May 24, 2010
So what happens when a "tourist" gets in an accident with a hired driver? Is there insurance (probably not I'm thinking)? I know in Cuba if a national is hurt then you both go to jail til it's figured out....

Then the driver's at fault. That's why I hire drivers : o )

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I don't trust any other drivers here, fine for dotting around the city in traffic but on longer trips where I get the foot down there is only one person I trust with my and my families life.

I would say more accidents happen in city traffic compared to longer trips....

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I find it amusing that some people harp so much about how dangerous driving in the DR is, and make it clear that the main reason is crazy Dominican drivers; then their "solution" is to hire a Dominican to drive for them.

I understand that there are some highly professional and experienced drivers in the DR who do a great job. If you have any reservations whatsoever about your own ability to drive safely, you should definately look into hiring one who has a good reputation. Personally, whether it is here in the US or in the DR, I trust myself behind the wheel more than I would anyone I could hire.

Those statistics are meaningless. When you consider the other ways healthy tourists could die, should it be a surprise that traffic accidents top the list? Also interesting that despite way fewer tourists, more die from traffic accidents in Thailand.

Why is it a bad solution to "hire" a professional driver? Driving conditions are different in DR than in other countries. When I drive in Miami I don't have to look out for shoe shine boys darting in traffic, gua gua's of all shape and size, truckloads with hay falling out, oh and not to mention crazy driver's who don't know what a turn signal is...

shawn27

May 24, 2010
As a tourist, I trust an experienced Dominican driver lot more than myself since he understands and is used to the unspoken rules or no-rules in his country (of course he has to drive his own car).

I make them provide their own car as well. I pretty much always agree with everything you say Africaida!!!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Dominicans are good driver because they know exactly when the other driver is thinking and capable of doing. They know how other dominicans drive. The foreigners simply have to expect the unexpected and you will be fine. I understand the dominican mentality and i know exactly what stupid / dangerous stunt the driver ahead of me will pull. Guess what, I am ready for it. Now I have come to a point in my life, where I pull the same dangerous stunts but after calculating the risk. I drive just like them and notice that they don't seem to mind at all. I like driving in DR and I think its just perfect for my taste. Driving in USA is stressful and plain boring. I have to stop at stop signs, watch my speed and look out for police. Even at dead of the night, I have to stop at red lights. Now with cameras everywhere, you can't break any traffic laws. Boring!!!!!!!!!!!
AZB

This is exactly what I'm trying to say as well. But I guess others are so self centered arguing that they lost the capability to adapt and learn.

We as Dominicans always expect the worst from others cars and that makes us really skillful drivers. I can look at my rearview mirror and detect the car that will cause problems 4 cars behind me, or know that the car that is hiding 3 cars ahead will suddenly make a right turn without putting the turn signals causing the entire lane to slow down and maybe cause an accident. Once I notice that car intention I'll be ready when it happens be it slowing down in advance or turning to the other lane to avoid the mess. This is just an example of countless of scenarios you encounter yourself while driving in the DR.

There's also the guy driving in the left lane and then wanting to make a right turn at the last moment in a intersection, foreigners won't be ready for that type of stunt but any Dominican driver who respect himself know how to handle that situation.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I would say more accidents happen in city traffic compared to longer trips....

Yeh, you get more dunches and people rear ending each other. I've been in a few where they just shout across the lanes and carry on as normal, that's what I mean by no one knows where the car is on the road, utter lack of skill. I try to keep a 6 or 7 foot invisible barrier around me, if I see a bike coming up the inside I'll squeeze him before he gets to me, let him become someone elses insurance problem, but again that is every city in the world, not just here, and I now have a police siren horn which keeps people off my paintwork.
I have a friend who gets knocked of his delivery bike every few months, injuries vary from stitches in chin to skinned body, no broken bones,,, yet! But I think that is a good sign that many many motos are getting flattened daily in the capital. As far as my family goes, I'm more concerned about high speed crashes than dodging around the city.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This is exactly what I'm trying to say as well. But I guess others are so self centered arguing that they lost the capability to adapt and learn.

We as Dominicans always expect the worst from others cars and that makes us really skillful drivers.
situation.

That is a contradiction, WE as Dominicans know to expect the WORST (as in really sh1t driving decisions), which makes you really skilled drivers! (what in the fact you know each other are so bad, you know to expect crap decisions on the road?

Any idiot can be alert on the road, so when did becoming alert become skill?
A skilled driver doesn't make stupid decisions as he considers those behind him may not be on the same level, right?

I will accept you are a skilled driver, but don't put those I drive around with daily in that category, I share a road daily with them, skilled is not the word I'd use!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

We as Dominicans always expect the worst from others cars and that makes us really skillful drivers. I can look at my rearview mirror and detect the car that will cause problems 4 cars behind me, or know that the car that is hiding 3 cars ahead will suddenly make a right turn without putting the turn signals causing the entire lane to slow down and maybe cause an accident. Once I notice that car intention I'll be ready when it happens be it slowing down in advance or turning to the other lane to avoid the mess. This is just an example of countless of scenarios you encounter yourself while driving in the DR.

There's also the guy driving in the left lane and then wanting to make a right turn at the last moment in a intersection, foreigners won't be ready for that type of stunt but any Dominican driver who respect himself know how to handle that situation.

I agree and I caught up to this from very early time. The truth is, some of the expats and tourists who are complaining about the driving rules and conditions are just way too innocent for this country. You have to meet these people in real life to really get the whole picture. these people will get their pockets picked even in a church picnic. Some of these people only know how to follow written rules and don't have the capacity to act quickly in a split second situation. Look at the same people, who they are married to in DR? You think they made the best choice when finding mates? so why do you think they are ready for anything else in this country? they will make bad decisions in traffic situations as well and get themselves into an accident.
I insist, if you really want to know why some people always complain in this country and can't seem to get anything right, you must meet them in person. The mystery will be all over in about 10 minutes.
AZB

Reactions: woofsback

Radel

Mar 3, 2008
dominicans are the worst drivers in the world period!! they are terrorist behind wheels, they don't obey traffic lights, they zig zag all over the place, they don't know how to make turn and driving drunk is like a culture to them ...

dominicans should be riding burros instead!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I'm easily amused

I like to sit on the sidewalk in front of my apartment and what the skilled drivers parallel park. This should be the easiest thing in the world for them, as thats almost the only kind of parking there is here in Santo Domingo. But can most of them NO. It can get really funny after the 4th attempt. This includes both men and women.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree and I caught up to this from very early time. The truth is, some of the expats and tourists who are complaining about the driving rules and conditions are just way too innocent for this country.
AZB

I sort of agree, but innocent is the wrong word. I don't feel because someone has failed to 'follow the flock',and adapt bad driving practices this makes them innocent. By all counts it makes them better drivers in their own right. Yes you have to adapt to the driving method and thought process, but once you start to drive like them, then you are swapping your NIKE for your 'plaza lama home brand'. IMO.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I sort of agree, but innocent is the wrong word. I don't feel because someone has failed to 'follow the flock',and adapt bad driving practices this makes them innocent. By all counts it makes them better drivers in their own right. Yes you have to adapt to the driving method and thought process, but once you start to drive like them, then you are swapping your NIKE for your 'plaza lama home brand'. IMO.

I do what works. I know atlanta driving will get me into an accident here. So I drive like dominicans but with caution and with calculated risks. I don't do everything dominicans do, but only extract what I like and discard the rest. I like the way men keep their composure and act like the male figure in the relationship. This system works very well here so who am I to change the rules? Let the women be sweet women and let the men be men. Now when it comes to driving here, I will follow the unwritten rules and do what actually gets me from point A to B without getting into an accident. I must be doing something right because in 12 yrs of daily driving here I have yet to cause an accident.
AZB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I do what works. I know atlanta driving will get me into an accident here. So I drive like dominicans but with caution and with calculated risks. I don't do everything dominicans do, but only extract what I like and discard the rest. I like the way men keep their composure and act like the male figure in the relationship. This system works very well here so who am I to change the rules? Let the women be sweet women and let the men be men. Now when it comes to driving here, I will follow the unwritten rules and do what actually gets me from point A to B without getting into an accident. I must be doing something right because in 12 yrs of daily driving here I have yet to cause an accident.
AZB

Apart from run over a policeman? Haha!!

No, I completely agree with having to adapt, as I have stated quite a few times. My only grief with this thread was this guy telling me of the superiority of skilled dominican drivers, still laughing at that like mist who have read it.

Reactions: Celt202
According to an article from USAToday "Road deaths are the No. 1 risk to tourists ? ahead of terrorism, plane crashes and infectious diseases". The DR is ranked third in terms of highest numbers of road fatalities only behind Mexico and Thailand.

Here's the article:Traffic accidents are top killer of U.S. travelers abroad - USATODAY.com

So if DR is ranked third in road fatalities why in the hell would I double my chances of being killed with 2 morons going head on, the one coming at me and the one driving me. If I am driving I can usually see a moron coming and avoid him.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i find its better to be a passive driver, let everyone else do the mad things and watch from a safe slow distance with plenty of time to adjust-aggressive driving is going to **** the wrong person off one day