worst drivers in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
i have driven in most of the places you have mentioned and i put dominican drivers at the top of the list....a bit ironic dont you think.....the sum of all wrecks,blogging about driving?

Frankly I don't believe you.

The Dominicans usually stay on their side of the road, don't drive particularly fast, usually stop at red lights etc.

In Karachi they don't do any of that. In Nairobi the matatus and trucks will push you off the road at any speed in Mumbai drivers will never ever give way or slow down unless there is a brick wall.In London if you don't know your way around you will be getting the finger regularly. In Paris it's a free for all , in Torino it's a race.

Dominicans do not have driving lessons , patience or discipline.
Live with it.

Reactions: whirleybird

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
True. Driving in the DR is insane but in my experience places like Lima (for anarchic urban traffic) and Kenya (for truly psychopathic highway driving) are a lot worse.

steve queen

Banned
Oct 13, 2009
wrecksum your trying to be funny.....right

The Dominicans usually stay on their side of the road, don't drive particularly fast, usually stop at red lights etc................sir are you talking about the d.r........this statement is delusional

Aug 19, 2004
They aren't the worst - but why is rule 125 from the UK Highway code such an issue in the DR.

125. Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards other road users.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I saw a guy driving an oil truck through Cabrera the other day going about 50. The fact that he didn't kill someone was amazing. Are you people out of your f****** minds when you get in your cars? You would not be able to get a learners permit in most developed countries with a generous bribe. Does this government give a damn that the average male elsewhere lives to about 70? It should. If a few cops started handing out speeding tickets the average life expectancy would jump 5 years and your emergency rooms would be empty. Saving millions. In my forty years of driving in the states i have given the finger (my award for driving excellence) to maybe two people. Since driving in the D.R. for a year and a half I have flipped the bird to probably thirty drivers. It's time for this lazy government to get off its ass and teach people how to drive a damn car.

If you think that was scary, he probably didn't have any brakes either.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
He is...

The Dominicans usually stay on their side of the road, don't drive particularly fast, usually stop at red lights etc................sir are you talking about the d.r........this statement is delusional

joking. Well I hope so. Not sure about the driving conditions in Nairobi or Karachi and I don not plan to find out either.

To be a little serious, I think driving gotten much worse here. I remember enjoying going to Santiago 9 years or so ago. Now its just hell, especially during rush hours. Same infrastructure, double the amount of cars and bikes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Same infrastructure, double the amount of cars and bikes.
I travel the entire country often. In the last 3 years I have seen emormous improvements in infrastructure, especially roads. And the best news is engineers are actually doing something about roadside drainage to keep the roads in better condition.

However, this ain't Kansas. It's till many clicks below the First World.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I love the fact that Dominican drivers or motorcycles and automobiles seemed totally shocked when I give a little toot of the horn to let them know I am behind them. The horn doesn't seem to be the problem so much as the possibility that someone else might possibly be on the road; it never occurred to them that someone might be behind them.

At first, I felt the use of the horn here was very rude. But over time, I have found that using the horn as a means of politely letting people know I am present is prudent. Many intersections have limited visibility and other people honking have saved me from pulling out in front of them.

Turn signals seem to be confusing, but I use them to let the motorcycle drivers know I am going to turn so they won't try to pass me on that side as I'm turning.

Where I draw the line on tolerance, however, is with the large gasoline carriers driving through towns at far above an intelligent speed. An accident with one of them would kill not only the other driver but possible everyone nearby should the tank explode.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
where did you see this ? is it worth making it a tourist attraction ?

I'm sure he must be referencing Odebrecht, a Brazilian engineering company, which is involved in many publi works projects here. In fact I saw the road they did going to Constanza and it was solid work from a civil engineering point of view. My only concern would be they need more guardails.

Also, for those who don't know imo most of the roads fail here because of lack of consideration of drainage, groundwater or poor compaction of the subgrade or asphalt. There are competent engineering companies who can build roads the right way but I expect they may not be in cahoots with the politicians in power at the time; thus they don't win any contracts. A classic case of corruption and nepotism, not ignorance of standard engineering practices.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Steve Queen, stop being such a drama queen!

The driving here really isn't that bad. Not if you are a good driver anyway. You have to be able to read the road conditions and pre-empt what they will do. Drive defensibly on the open road and aggressively in traffic.

Once you've got the hang of it you might even enjoy it.

I like driving here. With few rules to get in the way, it's a bit like whacky races! And no, Dominicans don't drive that fast and they do spend the majority of their time on their side of the road. Red lights are optional at night time, but most obey during the day with AMET about.

Don't get all bent out of shape. As others have posted, you will lose. Road rage doesn't really exist here as a lot of people carry guns!

Although I have a fantasy that involves driving a tank through Santiago and seeing how many carro publicos I collect when they cut in front of me and then stop to pick up or set down a pax!

Reactions: wrecksum

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I moved here a few months ago and drive everywhere. One has to be extremely into the driving experience and drive defensively and also aggressively at times to avoid problems. It is what it is. My only advise to people here is that when you make a mistake...be it driving, buying things, employing people and whatever...you will pay for it more than most other countries. One has to be more aware, calculated, awake and alive and careful here. In the DR there is no safety in most things you do... On the good side of things...there are few real rules to follow...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
One has to be more aware, calculated, awake and alive and careful here. In the DR there is no safety in most things you do... On the good side of things...there are few real rules to follow...

I prefer just the safe side of drunk and the wrong side of sober, seems to work for me:bunny: blending in, keeping on the same wavelength as everyone else.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I moved here a few months ago and drive everywhere. One has to be extremely into the driving experience and drive defensively and also aggressively at times to avoid problems. It is what it is. My only advise to people here is that when you make a mistake...be it driving, buying things, employing people and whatever...you will pay for it more than most other countries. One has to be more aware, calculated, awake and alive and careful here. In the DR there is no safety in most things you do... On the good side of things...there are few real rules to follow...

I think this is quite exaggerated. As far as driving goes, as bad as driving may appear here Dominicans are very defensive and generally will accomodate bad decisions by other drivers.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Geez, the way you guys put it we must be living in downtown Bagdad or something. I must be living in a different country.

Certainly, driving here has it's idiosyncracies but I don't find it being any more stressful in the States, just different. In the States you have to worry about getting a ticket for whatever and there are traffic lights every 100' to turn left, right or go straight. You pass most of your day in the stupid car and you have to worry if you had a drink or two.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Geez, the way you guys put it we must be living in downtown Bagdad or something. I must be living in a different country.

I agree 100%, never understood the big deal. Yes the first few days take a bit of getting used to but no biggy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm sure he must be referencing Odebrecht, a Brazilian engineering company, which is involved in many publi works projects here. In fact I saw the road they did going to Constanza and it was solid work from a civil engineering point of view. My only concern would be they need more guardails.
That, the roads in Samana (massive project, the drainage came last, then they'll lay the final asphalt), the Jarabacoa-El Rio road construction, many stretches along the north coast highway, roads in the SW (not much drainage needed), the Santo Domingo-Nagua road, some areas of the autopista Duarte, etc.

Hope springs eternal...

Status
Not open for further replies.