sosua barbers trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Jose Master "Barber Shop Professional" - I think he also moved, and also ripped me off the two times I tried him - also his hairdryer is actually a paint stripper and can inflict pain

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy, I'm disappointed in you. You've lived here a long time, certainly long enough to know that what you pay in Canada has nothing to do with what you pay here.

If you choose to get your hair cut from Andres knowing the price, that is your prerogative. But it should be because you like the way he cuts your hair and think it is worth the extra compared with what you get for less elsewhere.

Does the RD$500 include washing and blow drying?

Barbara went there and suggested I do the same, but I don't have enough hair or money for such luxury.

That's what I mean. 500 pesos here is cheaper than I pay in Canada. And yes, it includes washing, drying, trimming eyebrows, mustache & coffee.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That's what I mean. 500 pesos here is cheaper than I pay in Canada. And yes, it includes washing, drying, trimming eyebrows, mustache & coffee.

With all that, why do you need to flash a RD$2000 bill?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Well, i'm glad i caught this discussion right in time. for the best haircut on the island, hands down, go to Jose Genao in Bonao; he's my cousin. He uses a modified Home Depot Electric Hedge Trimmer for the eye brows and nostril hair. i'm not kidding. for the hair on your head, he uses pruning shears. He's very effective with these tools and he's been doing it a long, long time.

while i'm there i also get a shave. he doesn't have hot water yet, but he's excellent at cold water shaves and shaving against the grain of the beard, albeit with a few nicks here and there, but nothing that a few rolls of toilet paper won't take care of. if you have a thick beard (depending on its thickness and likeness to San Francisco's baseball relief pitcher Brian Wilson), he will use a combination of Hedge Trimmers and Black & Decker power-saw to trim it up.

He's excellent, highly skilled, and over qualified as a barber but, as side note, he's also an excellent landscaper and gardner.

Frank

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Well, i'm glad i caught this discussion right in time. for the best haircut on the island, hands down, go to Jose Genao in Bonao; he's my cousin. He uses a modified Home Depot Electric Hedge Trimmer for the eye brows and nostril hair. i'm not kidding. for the hair on your head, he uses pruning shears. He's very effective with these tools and he's been doing it a long, long time.

while i'm there i also get a shave. he doesn't have hot water yet, but he's excellent at cold water shaves and shaving against the grain of the beard, albeit with a few nicks here and there, but nothing that a few rolls of toilet paper won't take care of. if you have a thick beard (depending on its thickness and likeness to San Francisco's baseball relief pitcher Brian Wilson), he will use a combination of Hedge Trimmers and Black & Decker power-saw to trim it up.

He's excellent, highly skilled, and over qualified as a barber but, as side note, he's also an excellent landscaper and gardner.

Frank

Does he expect a tip from gringos?

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Jose Master "Barber Shop Professional" - I think he also moved, and also ripped me off the two times I tried him - also his hairdryer is actually a paint stripper and can inflict pain
Boy you're one tough act!
Did he move?
How did he rip you off?
Paint stripper hair dryer?
It's not a barber you need....
Mack.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
he asked me for 400 pesos both times, first time he tried to give me hair gel when i complained the price was a little steep.
You must have a tough scalp if you havent noticed the hairdryer or maybe you have very thick hair

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
he asked me for 400 pesos both times, first time he tried to give me hair gel when i complained the price was a little steep.
You must have a tough scalp if you havent noticed the hairdryer or maybe you have very thick hair

I'm getting lost here.....to whom are you referring in the above post? Hubby needs a haircut, but he doesn't want a second "haircut" when he pays.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
500 pesos for a haircut (men's) in the DR?
This is the same price you would pay in States.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
what is the average cost for a female's wash, cut and blowdry...medium length hair?

If you go to the German hairdresser at Las Canas it is 750 rds, but she does a real nice job. My wife is very happy with her.

As for myself, the wife cuts it for free. Admittedly, I do sometimes end up looking like a run-over hedgehog.

Feb 7, 2007
In POP I've seen many, especially when you see what some of them require the barber to do besides shaving his head. I visit my man two or three times a month, and each time it's like watching the Barber Shop movie w/ Ice Cube.:cool:

I do get haircut and shave and pay 200 pesos. Have been paying that for 4 years now.

Last edited:

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Jose is now located in Calle Pedro Clisante near the "Seacrets" bar. He charges me RD$ 150. I think he charged me more before I was accepted as a regular.
jr,
On Calle David Stern #18 you will find Jose Master "Barber Shop Professional" open 9:00am - 6:00pm.
When I first visited him a few years back he charged $150 DOP. Last time I was there, 2010 it was $200.00 DOP.
He is an excellent barber, well worth the money. But ask his price before... he crops you ;-)
Mack.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I'm getting lost here.....to whom are you referring in the above post? Hubby needs a haircut, but he doesn't want a second "haircut" when he pays.

i was refering to jose master barber

actually you can go anywhere but ask the price before sitting down, that was my mistake as I was a regular customer at the first place I mentioned so didnt think I needed to ask

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I told jose i was refered to him by a regular customer , he promptly ripped me off, not a good move ... so not going back , hes also not very freindly ( or maybe just to me ) seemed to be trying to burn me with his paint stripper as my head tried to get as far away as possible, not easy when in a barbers chair without getting up

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I told jose i was refered to him by a regular customer , he promptly ripped me off, not a good move ... so not going back , hes also not very freindly ( or maybe just to me ) seemed to be trying to burn me with his paint stripper as my head tried to get as far away as possible, not easy when in a barbers chair without getting up

I've had others say he over charged, which is stupid on his part More often than not when I walk past his shop he is sitting down hoping for a customer. Looks like he is now also selling clothes and perhaps other things in an effort to have an income.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
The last time I was at Jose's he charged me 400 then couldn't make change on 500. What a jerk. He had in the past always charged me 200. Now whenever I walk by I waive at him. When he gestures at his chair I laugh at him.
Go see Angela at the Checkpoint bar. She does an awesome job for cheap. She also does womens hair and dyeing, etc.

Feb 7, 2007
Why would anyone pay 300, 400 or 500 pesos for a man's haircut even in Sosua is beyond my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.