Contamination of Dominican Beaches in Bocachica/Guayacanes/JuanDolio

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wow! All this has to do with beach contamination in Boca Chica?
Nothing, but we have a new member that wants to raise his or her post count with irrelevant nonsense................

Reactions: Jan

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
Is there any body who lives in Boca Chica, Juan Dolio area who can tell us how they feel about the Contamination and over all situation in the area?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The mayor of San Pedro is making serious efforts to clean up the municipality.

He is also spending a fortune on an “SPM 0.23” sign upon entry to the city from the east, as well as murals of famous locals. Lots of ballplayers, Juan Luis Guerra, Vakero, among others, mostly all men.

He also started to talk about the restoration of various historical buildings.

It’s all targeting tourism of course, but his overall approach seems too disjointed to me. Whether he’s aiming at foreigners or locals, whether he thinks his massive sign will be a major draw, or if anything comes of it all remains to be seen.

I am sure costs will be double what actually comes out of it. But their pockets will grow and the world will turn.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I observed a gas station worker last week dumping a bucket full of brown gas smelling liquid in the ground while he was cleaning out an underground holding tank. In the big open drain thingy, Canada, not long ago the neighborhood protested that it needed cleaning but not less than a week later I saw a woman throw her trash into the cesspool. I just don't get it at all.

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
San Pedro : Guayacanes Sent heavy equipment to remove trash from Los Bancos De Arena near los Delfines right on the side by the water: Great Job!!!!!

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
PN. Articles like this will raise the profile of the pollution problems on the DR beaches. It may result in the cleanup of some of the beaches. It won‘t solve the problem of the degradation of the DR coastline over the long term.

The core problems are uncontrolled sewage deposition because of a lack of sewage treatment plants, the constant littering creating large amounts of persistent plastics on the beaches, and uncontrolled development creating changes in the geomorphology of the coastlines.

Sewage deposition can be resolved if the government is willing to enact legislation to prevent it, enforce it, and assist municipalities financially to enable them to build treatment infrastructure.

Littering is a cultural mindset. Education and enforcement are the two tools needed to resolve the issue. Again, it’s a government initiative and it’s takes years to ingrain an anti litter attitude in a culture. The government doesn’t have the will to enforce the necessities like traffic rules. It’s highly unlikely it will ever enforce litter laws. There may be hope for the younger generations of Dominicans but you won’t change the older generation.

The degradation of the coastlines can be mitigated with a proper coastal development plan. Something not too expensive and easily done. Unfortunately DR politicians would see this as an impediment to resort development and wouldn’t been keen to develop such a plan. The current administration has said tourism development is a high priority. Previous administrations have done the same thing. Don’t expect that to change soon.

Again, I admire your concern and perseverance. If the DR had environmental NGO’s, they could put pressure on government to resolve the issues area by area. Small steps but important steps, especially in the area of public education initiative.

A National election is not that far away. That may provide you with the opportunity to pressure politicians to do something about the coastline problems. What you want to achieve is not impossible. It takes constant attention and time to resolve the issues.

We went through the same process in Canada. We started in the 1970’s and we still continue to resolve issues today through government and non government means. We have very experienced NGO’s and Coastal planning expertise available to the DR government if they made the decision to implement proper coastline development.

Reactions: tht

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I thought gasoline and Diesel was expensive in DR, how are this people spilling it on the ground.

JJ

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I thought gasoline and Diesel was expensive in DR, how are this people spilling it on the ground.

JJ
Locals are purchasing and selling gasoline and diesel in any kind of container they can find. Not UL approved plastic type fuel containers with nozzles. Pouring fuel into motorcycles, scooters, from bleach jugs, lube oil containers, soap containers, creates spills. Drive any campo road and you will see locals seeking fuel by the roadside in non approved fuel containers.

Reactions: NanSanPedro