Chilli Peppers... we are blessed in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
We can grow hot chili peppers year round and always have available to use. I have an over abundance of small habaneros now and long Thai peppers that I prepared in a number of ways. Use fresh. Dry in the sun. Simple mesh screen and dry the old fashion way to conserve, make a chilli oils using virgin olive oil ,or make a paste. I am making the chilli paste tonight with 20-30 habaneros and various spices.

Any other ways?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I don't get along very well with hot food.

My wife on the other hand thinks the hotter the better.

Yesterday I did a fry up using slices of chicken breasts. Onions, peppers, ...etc and stir fry the whole thing.
The final touch was a splash of honey, or so I thought 🫤.
We harvest some honey, so of course it goes into a small brugal bottle --- Dominican 101---. Turns out that my wife also uses the same kind of brugal bottle for marinating chilli peppers from hell in olive oil.

Yes, yes, my splash of honey was in fact weapon-grade spicy oil. 🥵.
A gnarly experience all the way through my digestive system🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: jd426 and johne

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
We can grow hot chili peppers year round and always have available to use. I have an over abundance of small habaneros now and long Thai peppers that I prepared in a number of ways. Use fresh. Dry in the sun. Simple mesh screen and dry the old fashion way to conserve, make a chilli oils using virgin olive oil ,or make a paste. I am making the chilli paste tonight with 20-30 habaneros and various spices.

Any other ways?
Chili peppers sound great! So many ways to use and store them. Pray tell, have you been able to grow sweet corn? I tried a couple of times without much success.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Chili peppers sound great! So many ways to use and store them. Pray tell, have you been able to grow sweet corn? I tried a couple of times without much success.
I didn't but I let a Haitian helper plant it. It took up more space than I cared for. He was let go for other reason and I pulled everything out. I just don't have the space for the tomatoes, pepper etc. and NOW the auyama is cicling the wagons big time with it's vines. I'm afraid that one day I don't return to the house and they find me tied up like an Egyptian mummy.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Capsaicin . For those folks that have aches and pains you would should read up on this and why you should plant a tub full of hot peppers. No need to buy the cremes. Check it out. Save some $$$$

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
People that know about gardening explained that the DR is not a place where sweet corn can be grown. I do miss it as well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Really? And what do YOU know about corn...not even the subject BTW?
You might have noticed that there was a question about sweet corn that I responded to directly above my response. Or perhaps you missed that detail.

When I lived in upstate NY. We had great sweet corn available. Silver Queen, Butter and Sugar and other varieties. My first wife also grew it in our home garden. Nothing like talking if off the stalk and cookin' it up to eat within 10 minutes.

When I came to the DR I asked why it was not for sale in the markets, I was told it had to be imported because the climate here didn't work to grow sweet corn. I have had corn sold here, and it just isn't anything special. But that's all I know-

About sweet corn. Now back to the island that spice forgot so we have to grow our own hot peppers.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa

Any other ways?
I love spicy peppers, HATE habaneros though, they are as fun as getting sucker punched in the nuts...
I would love to be able to find some Scotch Bonnet, ghost peppers, caroline reapers, Scorpion they at least have a bit of taste and is not just intense heat.
However, how do you get them? I've not seen them in any supermarket, I've only seen Jalapeños and Habaneros, and I rule out buying them online as I guess they would get seized by customs, or probably even rejected by the carrier company to transport them.
A friend a couple of years ago brought caroline reaper seeds with him and tried to make them grow here, was not successful.

Reactions: ramesses

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I love spicy peppers, HATE habaneros though, they are as fun as getting sucker punched in the nuts...
I would love to be able to find some Scotch Bonnet, ghost peppers, caroline reapers, Scorpion they at least have a bit of taste and is not just intense heat.
However, how do you get them? I've not seen them in any supermarket, I've only seen Jalapeños and Habaneros, and I rule out buying them online as I guess they would get seized by customs, or probably even rejected by the carrier company to transport them.
A friend a couple of years ago brought caroline reaper seeds with him and tried to make them grow here, was not successful.
I have yet to see anything beyond the occasional habaneros.
No Scotch Bonnet, Ghost Peppers, or Carolina Reapers have shown up in the local markets.
I have seen the occasional Serrano and Thai chilies for sale at Playero or Janets. Almost never see jalapenos.
Keep in mind, it is likely there are 6 of us on the island that would go near them, so demand is very low for hot peppers.

This is the island that spice forgot.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
No Scotch Bonnet, Ghost Peppers, or Carolina Reapers have shown up in the local markets.
I have seen the occasional Serrano and Thai chilies for sale at Playero or Janets. Almost never see jalapenos.
Keep in mind, it is likely there are 6 of us on the island that would go near them, so demand is very low for hot peppers.

Yes, true. I find it fascinating when my wife or her relatives think that Sriracha is too spicy. 😅

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua

In Super Pola I have bought fresh Jalapeno, and Scotch Bonnet. Both packed on small styrofoam trays, covered with plastic wrap. There were found in the refrigerator on the veg and fruit isle.

Reactions: windeguy

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Well since scotch bonnet peppers grow well in Jamaica they should grow well here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For years we had very hot peppers growing in the same spot on our finca, near a wall. We never planted them, I guess a bird volunteered the seeds and they took off. They were very tiny. I never picked them so I guess they reseeded themselves. On one visit with us, Lindsay/Matilda spotted them, and you’d think she’d struck a vein of gold. She knew what they were called (I don’t remember) and she gleefully filled a sandwich bag to take home with her. We always brought more to her every time we drove up to visit her, I just made her promise not to put any in our food, lol!

I’m not sure what happened, but when we returned after being away during Covid for a few years, they were gone. I guess an overzealous gardener. I was kind of sad because they reminded me of Lindsay, and I had promised some to Nan San Pedro.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For years we had very hot peppers growing in the same spot on our finca, near a wall. We never planted them, I guess a bird volunteered the seeds and they took off. They were very tiny. I never picked them so I guess they reseeded themselves. On one visit with us, Lindsay/Matilda spotted them, and you’d think she’d struck a vein of gold. She knew what they were called (I don’t remember) and she gleefully filled a sandwich bag to take home with her. We always brought more to her every time we drove up to visit her, I just made her promise not to put any in our food, lol!

I’m not sure what happened, but when we returned after being away during Covid for a few years, they were gone. I guess an overzealous gardener. I was kind of sad because they reminded me of Lindsay, and I had promised some to Nan San Pedro.
I have birds eye peppers and they are too hot for me now that I am older.
Buying seeds for the super hot. https://pepperjoe.com/products/carolina-reaper?variant=32378786086954