The high cost of patrolling the border with Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Fortaleza-en-la-Frontera-Hoy-1024x618.png

The Ministry of Defense says the country spent RD$2.5 billion in surveillance and security at the border with Haiti in 2023.

The Ministry of Defense is building stretches of cement wall at certain sections of the border.

As the crisis in Haiti has escalated, entry through the three major gateways — Jimaní, Elías Piña and Dajabón — is restricted.

The Ministry of Defense constantly issues press releases indicating all is under control on the Dominican side of the border.

Despite the expense and investments in new border controls, reports reveal significant amounts of contraband of goods and people continue to cross the 391 km long border every day.

Read more:Presidency...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2024/03/07/the-high-cost-of-patrolling-the-border-with-haiti/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Quite frankly, the DR doesn’t borders a normal country and right now is even more abnormal than usual. The only country in the Western Hemisphere threatning itself to go to war with itself. This is the 21st century for crying outloud. Securing the border is not an option, is a must. Whatever it takes to secure it, so be it.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Quite frankly, the DR doesn’t borders a normal country and right now is even more abnormal than usual. The only country in the Western Hemisphere threatning itself to go to war with itself. This is the 21st century for crying outloud. Securing the border is not an option, is a must. Whatever it takes to secure it, so be it.
I was on Sosua beach yesterday.
Many Haitian bars and workers.
They are acting as if they own the country and have zero respect for Dominicans or the culture.
Haitian sub culture.
Enabled by men from Quebec looking for French speaking girls.
And the JetBlue crowd looking for fat bottom girls.
The bar workers trying to attract customers with ghetto talk, trying to be one of them.

DR is way too soft on Haitians in DR.

For those seeking the Haitian flair, go to Haiti not the DR.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
No indication of any shots ever fired.. Hmmn...
Windy. The post says despite the expense and investment significant amounts of contraband goods and people cross every day. That says it all. Should an intervention or full scale civil war occur, I doubt the DR military could fully secure the border without assistance from other forces. Concrete and steel are only effective if properly monitored and enforced.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
The problem for cash poor DR is that a lot of desperately need money now has to be spend on
Border defence and military.
The same problem is encountered by other countries.

Can't choose your neighbours or cancel historical facts.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I was on Sosua beach yesterday.
Many Haitian bars and workers.
They are acting as if they own the country and have zero respect for Dominicans or the culture.
Haitian sub culture.
Enabled by men from Quebec looking for French speaking girls.
And the JetBlue crowd looking for fat bottom girls.
The bar workers trying to attract customers with ghetto talk, trying to be one of them.

DR is way too soft on Haitians in DR.

For those seeking the Haitian flair, go to Haiti not the DR.
Cheap Haitian labourers are a necessary requirement for DR residential and commercial development companies. Construction of new resorts would come to a grinding halt If the Haitian labour supply was choked off. That’s always been the reality in the DR.

The Haitian ladies would starve to death plying their trade in Haiti. They follow the money and a lot of it’s in Sosua. The Venezuelan ladies did the same thing. The human desire to survive is the motivator. Don’t expect the Haitian ladies to fade away.

I like fat bottom girls. They make the rocking world go round according to Queen.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The problem for cash poor DR is that a lot of desperately need money now has to be spend on
Border defence and military.
The same problem is encountered by other countries.

Can't choose your neighbours or cancel historical facts.
If the DR government could eliminate waste and corruption and channel that money into the military, there would be more than enough to man and defend the border. As I previously posted, President Abinader’s best hope is military support from his CARICOM allies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Cheap Haitian labourers are a necessary requirement for DR residential and commercial development companies. Construction of new resorts would come to a grinding halt If the Haitian labour supply was choked off. That’s always been the reality in the DR.

The Haitian ladies would starve to death plying their trade in Haiti. They follow the money and a lot of it’s in Sosua. The Venezuelan ladies did the same thing. The human desire to survive is the motivator. Don’t expect the Haitian ladies to fade away.

I like fat bottom girls. They make the rocking world go round according to Queen.
No, they are not necessary. They can be replaced by Dominicans, in fact by law 70 percent of them are supposed to be Dominicans anyways. The contractors just like the cheap labor which gives them higher profit margins. My eyes tell me there are more fat bottom Dominican women than Haitians. The Haitian ladies have nicer legs.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

Not to forget black bottom girls.

I like Elephants and hippos when on safari, their jiggling fat bottoms make me laugh.
Lot's of laughs on Sosua beach :ROFLMAO:

You mean the working age part of the DR population is not enough?
So many poor and without work people.
Guess it's like farm workers, cleaners and restaurant staff up North. :ROFLMAO:

In the old days people worked to survive, whatever it takes.........new world!

Now the Haitian and Venezuelan talent is cruising the Darian Gap for greener pastures.
Realities are what we create.

Reactions: Big

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
If the DR government could eliminate waste and corruption and channel that money into the military, there would be more than enough to man and defend the border. As I previously posted, President Abinader’s best hope is military support from his CARICOM allies.
I wouldn't pin any hope on military or financial support on CARICOM.
They are not exactly the most potent States, sharing this geographic location.
Many couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Many of the observer states are consumed by their own problems.
The factual realty of the world is, that States and governments are increasingly reluctant to throw money at the problems of others.
Maybe if self interest is involved.
The leader of your country wants to look good on the world stage giving aid to others,
While his country is financially, militarily and ecomonicaly impotent because of wrong policies, incompetence and the absence of long range visions.
It should be one of the richest countries in the world.

Countries need long range plans and visions to implement improvements.
With Abinader in two terms we have a little hope.
Ideally DR money should be invested into education, industrial development, not into defence against Haiti.
But these are realities the DR has to face and finance.

We will simply live in a world of increasing regional conflicts like Haiti - DR.
Who wants to spend money or put their soldiers on the ground?
States will be selective in their interests, to help others.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If they really wanted to stop illegal Haitian immigration... they would stop the selling of real Dominican cedulas, by certain people that are in the government...I know of 4 that work at my gym that became Dominican overnight and now have names like Poncho..Orlando... Maria...Cesar......and now they can vote. Think of the ramifications of that..............

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If they really wanted to stop illegal Haitian immigration... they would stop the selling of real Dominican cedulas, by certain people that are in the government...I know of 4 that work at my gym that became Dominican overnight and now have names like Poncho..Orlando... Maria...Cesar......and now they can vote. Think of the ramifications of that..............
But it's like the drug thing that Windy keeps harping, I mean talking, about. Too much money to be made.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy. The post says despite the expense and investment significant amounts of contraband goods and people cross every day. That says it all. Should an intervention or full scale civil war occur, I doubt the DR military could fully secure the border without assistance from other forces. Concrete and steel are only effective if properly monitored and enforced.
I am sure there are issues. They need to protect the DR better. That has always been the case since I moved here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But it's like the drug thing that Windy keeps harping, I mean talking, about. Too much money to be made.
Indeed. That old axiom on prohibition.

Never was there a better time to increase border security, despite all the failures therein.
Haiti does not seem to have anyone going in to rescue it.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Indeed. That old axiom on prohibition.

Never was there a better time to increase border security, despite all the failures therein.
Haiti does not seem to have anyone going in to rescue it.

Some seem to forget that they live on an island.

The Haiti land border is about 376 km.
The DR Coastline about 1,288 km.
Could one imagine, that there are a few yolas arriving at night laden with Haitians on the DR coast?

Any of us living here and maybe even those venturing out of their gated plaaces,
Will know the Haitian settlements and also the Haitians living interspersed in Dominican neighbourhoods.
There are thousands.

Another aggravating factor are foreign, mostly US and Canadian Missionaries.
Catering to Haitians in the DR, also building free housing.
Foreigners actively enabling Haitians in the DR, because they are now afraid to go to Haiti.

High time the gob.do boots them out and charges them with foreign interference in the operation of DR politics.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro