Santo domingo to las galeras

slf85

Jan 24, 2010
Hello, I am a female single traveler going to las galeras next january. My flight lands at 7pm and that is of course if no delay. I was wondering what will be the best way to go about it. Take a taxi and stay in santo domingo and the next day take a bus to samana and from there to las galeras or take a taxi that could drive me up there. I want to be safe, and don't see myself traveling at nights. Any logistics help is highly appreciated..

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Your first option, i.e., take a taxi from SDQ to SD and stay overnight, then either the Caribe Tours or guagua the next morning is the best, IMO. You can also take a guagua from Samana to Las Galeras. It's much less expensive.

sprintrs00

Dec 13, 2009
any idea how much a guagua cost from SD to Las Galeras? and where do they depart from? looking for a hotel that is near the departure of Caribe tours or guagua for the same reasons.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
any idea how much a guagua cost from SD to Las Galeras? and where do they depart from? looking for a hotel that is near the departure of Caribe tours or guagua for the same reasons.

There are two guaguas leaving from calle barahona, just behind plaza lama on duarte in the morning and around 1.00 p.m, about 4 1/2 hours to Las Galeras, 280 pesos. You have to take your luggage into the bus and possibly pay for an extra seat if you have to much.

Timewise there is not much difference between taking the direct guagua or going with Caribetour to Samana (6 times a day, 4 take the new highway) and catch a guagua to Las Galeras (every half hour) before 6.00 p.m. when the last one is leaving to LG.

If you stay in the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo you are quite close to both stations (not more than 150 Pesos by Taxi) and have an nicer ambiance than near the stations which are not the prettiest areas. For cheap hotels check the santo domingo section.

Have a good trip!

Berliner

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Las Galeras

As stated above there is a direct bus to Las Galeras from SD, but please be aware that it stops where anyone wants to get off and takes a lot of time. Caribe Tours from SD to Samana on the new highway(carretera nueva) leaves 4 times a day and only makes on stop - it takes 2 and 1/2 hours. I guess Berliner and I have a diffeent opinion on this but every trip is different on the Samana Transport and this bus can be much slower than Caribe Tours. And then it is only $30 in a taxi to Las Galera or 75 pesos in the local guagua. I recommend doing that. It is also hard to find Samana Transporte behind Plaza Lama. The taxi drivers don't always know where it is, but everyone knows Caribe Tours.

Catherine
Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras