New "business" in Sosua - BEWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Now we can happily witness a new form of "Russian business" here in Sosua. ( To be precise - not "Russian" but "Russian-speaking" as they are from Georgia-Armenia, notorious crimeland of the late Soviet Union).

Not far from Varomar (Playa Chikita) a "parking" is set up. In reality - an impound storage area for vehicles towed away by AMET for "illegal parking ".

To release the car our smart Georgean-Armenian friends charge $700 DR (so far) for "storage service".

Of these $700RD $200RD goes back to AMET guys to stimulate more and more towaways for "illegal parking" in addition to a fine to be paid to AMET by the owner.

A nice and easy new money for both AMET and for our Georgian-Armenian brothers.

So, owners of cars in Sosua - BEWARE now... Keep running. Do not stop.

For whatever reason Sosua now seems to be a huge magnet attracting slime from all over the World. Good ol days, where are you...

Sad.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
what is the exact location of this venture

Next to the Russian homemade child day care center and to Russian dairy colmado. Across from the Hungarian restaurante. Alejo Martinez.

Anyone knows how legal is this "towaway- $700 release" scheme from the legislative point of view? Can it be contested in the Court?

If not taken care now, sooner or later every of us will have this nice $700DR pleasure.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
"now"? With all due respect, the streets of Sosua have not exactly been attracting the Mother Theresas of the world for quite a while. So your sense of outrage at this new "criminal element" seems odd to me.

Just sayin'.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Vaqueros en las calles

Anyone knows how legal is this "towaway- $700 release" scheme from the legislative point of view?
If even the towaway costs are included in this fee it's fairly cheap, isn't it?
If the Geogians provide security (which could be substantially better than Dominican security... :cheeky: ) I find 700 RD$ baratisimo.

If not taken care now, sooner or later every of us will have this nice $700DR pleasure.
Why?
If the AMET guys get rid of the traffic cowboys why should you be concerned?

donP

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
Wonderful

I think it is great that they tow away illegaly parked cars. I wish they would do it here in Cabarete, then we would not have the traffic problems we have. The more it costs to get your car back, the stronger the deterent. Don't park where you don't belong and you will have no problem.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I think it is great that they tow away illegaly parked cars. I wish they would do it here in Cabarete, then we would not have the traffic problems we have. The more it costs to get your car back, the stronger the deterent. Don't park where you don't belong and you will have no problem.

I don?t have a problem with illegally parked cars being towed away. It?s just the way they do it. They don?t use the proper equipment. If you?re in ?Park, have the brakes on, wheels turned? You might have other expenses i.e. alignment, transmission etc. As for the boys renting the parking space to Amet, just another business venture. Amet had no storage area. I wish there was a number we could call to have cars blocking driveways or parked in a private area towed.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I agree with Eddy! I watch the AMET towing cars from outside my office on a regular basis. They are all parked in a "no parking" area which is clearly marked and all cause an obstruction every time a large delivery vehicle or coach wants to get through! How much does it cost to re-claim a towed vehicle in NYC or London?

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I agree with Eddy! I watch the AMET towing cars from outside my office on a regular basis. They are all parked in a "no parking" area which is clearly marked and all cause an obstruction every time a large delivery vehicle or coach wants to get through! How much does it cost to re-claim a towed vehicle in NYC or London?

When yours will be towed without any reason and mechanically damaged and vandalized and windshield broken you will say differently.

"How much does it cost to re-claim a towed vehicle in NYC or London?"
- What is average monthly salary in Dominican Republic?

Lots of local "businesses" are trying to jack us up the high prices of the civilized developed World.

Average salary in this poor country is ten times less than "in NYC or London", So prices must be ten times cheaper as well. Simple as that.

May 12, 2005
Sosua seems to have made a turn for the worst the last year or so. At this point, I really have no desire to visit unless things turn around.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
When yours will be towed without any reason and mechanically damaged and vandalized and windshield broken you will say differently.
has this actually happened- you would think there would be a lot of people posting , if they were towing cars away indisciminately

I thought Afgan was staying away from the Dominican Republic because of the threat of earthquakes

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
So that ones gone and another has just parked in the same place and these are very new 4x4s. And this one is 4 feet from the pavement, more like abandoned than parked!

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
A while ago I posted "me no like russians" when Judi's restaurant wa staken over by them and the gringos sent me many messages along the lines of "how dare you"...wait 'till albanians turn up...the pattern fits perfectly so far

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've got to know several Russians over the last six months and most of the ones I've met seem OK. I think there's good and bad in all countries, actually I think there's good and bad in all people! Deep!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

"How much does it cost to re-claim a towed vehicle in NYC or London?"
- What is average monthly salary in Dominican Republic?

Lots of local "businesses" are trying to jack us up the high prices of the civilized developed World.

Average salary in this poor country is ten times less than "in NYC or London", So prices must be ten times cheaper as well. Simple as that.

Disagree, for them to learn the rules of the road when the enforcment starts it needs to be equal, no pain no gain. after they learn and obey, then lower the rates!! 25 peso fine does not cut it.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Sosua seems to have made a turn for the worst the last year or so. At this point, I really have no desire to visit unless things turn around.

i haven't vacationed in sosua in almost 2 years. i may have to reapply for my classico's membership....:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.