Wedding paperwork issue

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
Hi,

Im getting married in April and understand that I need my passport, birth certificate, and status letter ( single status or wtv) to do so.
Now the Office i went in to inquire this info at told me that I need to translate all these documents to spanish since they are all canadian documents.
No problem.
BUT, they said the only one I HAVE TO translate to spanish in CANDA is the birth certificate.
Apparently I cannot translate this here, they say I need to translate it at the dominican embassy in Toronto.
Does anyone know if this is true and if there is any way to have the translation done here in the DR?

any advice is appreciated,
Thanks

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
translation

Hi,

Im getting married in April and understand that I need my passport, birth certificate, and status letter ( single status or wtv) to do so.
Now the Office i went in to inquire this info at told me that I need to translate all these documents to spanish since they are all canadian documents.
No problem.
BUT, they said the only one I HAVE TO translate to spanish in CANDA is the birth certificate.
Apparently I cannot translate this here, they say I need to translate it at the dominican embassy in Toronto.
Does anyone know if this is true and if there is any way to have the translation done here in the DR?

any advice is appreciated,
Thanks

Yes you take it to a translation lawyer... it is cheap and easy to do and then it gets certified at the domincan embassy... lawyer can do that for you also. Very easy and I am Canadian

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
ok..but my question is, can I do that here in the DR? or do I have to have that done in CANADA like I was originally told?...I dont plan on going back to Canada before my wedding..will it be accepted if the translation is done here?

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
I just got married here last weekend, I went to a notary and had the single paper made up, with all the stamps and ribbons. Then I gave it all to the person marring us, copy of US pasport, copy of my US birthcertificate and the single testiment. Nothing needed translation.

ngc911

Jul 30, 2008
I am getting married in Puerto Plata beginning March. I live in Toronto and based on the Dominican Consulate in Toronto, I had to get my birth certificate, statutory declaration of single status, (and in my case my divorce certificate) all translated in Spanish. This was mandatory, and all for 420$USD.

Hope this helps....

INFO FROM CONSULATE WEB SITE:

In order to celebrate your wedding in the Dominican Republic the bride and groom will need the following documents:

Valid Passport*
Original Birth Certificate*
Single Status Affidavit & Divorce Act**. (Original and notarized)
Four witnesses over 18 years old
Translation into Spanish of the Birth Certificate, Single Status Affidavit and/or Divorce Act. In order to avoid serious legal mistakes, we highly recommend to make them translated by this Embassy or by a certified English-Spanish translator.
Legalization of the Single Status Affidavit and Divorce Act by the Consular Section of this Embassy.
If you are able to sign your Single Status Affidavit & Divorce Act in front of a Dominican Consular representative (at this Embassy or your nearby Dominican Consulate General), you do not need to have them notarized. Please book for an appointment in advance by calling Glenis Guzman ext.232 (gguzman@drembassy.org) or Maria Leyba (mleyba@drembassy.org) ext.229.

Fees (USD)

The cost to translate a document is 40$ per document
The cost to legalize a document is 100$ per document

This fee is related to:

40$ x 4 to translate both Birth Certificates and two Single Status Affidavit = 160$. 100$ x 2 to legalize two Single Status Affidavit = 200$. If you have not been married before, the total amount is 360 $USD.

On the other hand, if one of you is divorced, the person concerned should pay an additional 100$ in order to legalize the Divorce Certificate and 40$ for its translation into Spanish. Therefore, an extra 140$ for each divorced candidate.

* For legalization purposes at this Embassy, a photocopy of your passport and Birth Certificate will suffice. The latter does not need to have your parent's name on it. However, you must bring all your documents to the Dominican Republic, including those already legalized with us and the originals.

** Translated into Spanish and legalized by this Embassy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Please take into account that once your documents are legalized by this Embassy or a Dominican Consulate, they will be valid for three (3) consecutive months from the legalization date. A divorced bride cannot get married until 10 months have passed after the divorce is official, unless her intended husband is the same person she has divorced. If this is your case, please keep in touch with us as there may be new legal changes on this matter.

It could take five (5) business days for the documents to be ready.

You should send your documents to:

Consular Section of the Dominican Republic Embassy
130 Albert St. suite 418
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5G4

You need to send us a pre-paid envelope to return back your documents. Payment must be done by certified cheque or money order in US funds.

tinkerbash

Feb 2, 2010
Hey there i strongly reccommend that you use wedo (google search them) they dealt with all of the legal stuff and are the cheapest around so all i had to do was worry about planning my wedding. i got married this time last year In Rio san juan to my dominican husband and would reccomend them to anyone they sent everything i needed to to consulate translated averything and by the time my wedding came it was all done and i didnt hav to do a thing!