Driving in Puerto Plata

S

StrayCat

I have been reading that driving in DR can sometimes be treacherous. I have had a rental car in Punta Cana area before, but then there is not so much traffic. I am going for the first time to Puerto Plata. Is this a bad area to drive? How is the bus system? where do the routes go? I wanted to go to Sousa, but wouldn't a taxi be expensive?

H

hillbilly

That can be an interesting drive!!

You will have to budget about 8 hours for it.

If you stick to major roads, drive defensively, and use your head, you should have no problem whatsoever.

Us "old hands" always like to warn "newbies" about the very real hazards of driving here, and I totally agree.

The route is very easy to Santiago. Then you have to choose between the Tourist Hwy or the Duarte Hwy. Tourist Hwy is shorter, lots of curves, plenty of views, less traffic.
Duarte Hwy is busy, under construction, heavily travelled.

To take Tourist Hwy, after the light at the entrance to Santiago (across from Plaza Monumental), look for a sign directing you to Puerto Plata--bear right off the hwy, but keep going parallel to the hwy, taking the second right, towards the north. At the second light on Ave Estrella Sahdala (Hach?), you have to choose:
Go straight to Duarte Hwy, or turn right for Luperon Tourist Hwy.
If you take the latter, when you get to the end, turn right to go to Sosua...

For bus service, take Caribe Tours from Santo Domingo to Sosua. Simple!

HB

N

Nancy

My sister and I drove in Puerto Plata a little over a year ago (A large van. NEVER AGAIN. I have driven all over the DR, but have never experienced anything like that. Besides all of the traffic, the streets are narrow. Also, to further complicate matters, they were having some kind of a march that day. My suggestion would be to take a taxi if you are only going for the day or portion of a day. It really isn't that expensive and the taxi drivers have the experience.

S

StrayCat

Thanx HB and Nancy!

but, after reading the earlier posts of the accident consequences, I don't think that I will be driving! Now, if only I can figure out the other transportation, I am set!

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

it's not that bad......

I drive almost since 20y here. Never a accident, never jail, never probs....
If family or friends visit me, they get a lesson (like Hillbilly say)and they drive. Never..............*lol*.
cu/charly

D

DeanO

Advice:Don't drive thru San Pedro de Macoris....

Don't drive thru San Pedro de Macoris, the cops there are looking for Ben Dover. A French national, went thru that ordeal a few months back.
Deano

S

StrayCat

Re: Advice:Don't drive thru San Pedro de Macoris..

Ben Dover!!! hahahahahahahaha

H

Helga Fritz

Keep your eyes open and expect the un-expected

I've lived here just over two years in Santo Domingo and have to say I love driving here. I've driven all over and seen some amazing driving 'skills' not. It's mad and bad, give me Dom Rep over UK any day!