One way streets Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Is it time to end the one way street experiment/fiasco?
Was this a deliberate plan to add further confusion to the already confusing "Rules of the road DR style"?
Or is it time for the city to start hauling in a fortune in fines for all the violations?
Mack.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
That's a good question Mack! I think they should enforce it better. I know the AMET have limited recourses but if they spread the officers out around the town for a couple of months and really enforce the traffic laws people might start to get the message. Some larger signing would help as well, some of the no entries aren't very clear.

Mar 2, 2008
Let's face it, the only ones who are held accountable for the 'one-way' violations are the gringos who are foolish enough to follow the motos the wrong way up a one-way street.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is it time to end the one way street experiment/fiasco?
Was this a deliberate plan to add further confusion to the already confusing "Rules of the road DR style"?
Or is it time for the city to start hauling in a fortune in fines for all the violations?
Mack.

It is really not that confusing, use Alejo Martinez to go west and Pedro Clisante east.

I admit it gets a little tricky past Super Super where PC is two way!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Tambo is right, they should make the entire length of both roads one way so you have a complete loop and then the roads that criss cross alternate in direction, simple!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
The majority are motos that dont follow the rules, which they dont do on the main roads either. Is there a different law for them ? It would appear so the looks that some give you as you travel the correct way

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
It is really not that confusing, use Alejo Martinez to go west and Pedro Clisante east.
Maybe not for you Tambo but it sure must be for all the motoconcho's and most of the tourists. :laugh:
Mack.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The signage is indeed poor, the motos seem to be telepathic when AMET is out making their month-end quota.

Mar 2, 2008
While I agree with both Tambo and Black Dog in principle, nothing is ever 'simple' here.

As we all know, they are certain individuals who are permanently excluded from following the rules.

Then there are those who are excluded during their term of office.

And then there are those who will be allowed to elude, by-pass, or ignore the rules during certain 'times' of the year, such as Navidad, Semana Santa, Duarte day, Carnaval, etc.

And of course there are those who allowed special dispensation upon receipt of an appropriate propina.

And finally, everything might change with the election of a new mayor. So, keep smiling, and follow the signs, as long as they are posted, which is often questionable.

Just stay on your tippy toes! Isn't that the reason we love it here?

tsg

Mar 25, 2007
Let's face it, the only ones who are held accountable for the 'one-way' violations are the gringos who are foolish enough to follow the motos the wrong way up a one-way street.

Not true!

I have seen Amet working in Pedro Clisante many times, but I've never seen them distinguish between Dominicans and Gringos.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is hard to take the one way signage seriously when the AMET and PN are constantly driving the wrong way.

Besides I thought one "one way" meant that you could only drive in one direction at a time!

Bob K

Reactions: waytogo

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've seen Policia setting up one-way check points right on the corner of Pedro Clisante and David Stern, right across from the "Una Via" sign. If you get caught, expect to be shakened down.

Mar 2, 2008
"The street walkers seem to be a bit more organized now"
Tambo

They are certainly 'one-way', and remember, all ways here are the queen's way.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
It is hard to take the one way signage seriously when the AMET and PN are constantly driving the wrong way.

Besides I thought one "one way" meant that you could only drive in one direction at a time!

Bob K

Bob you are the only one that seem to have a dominican drivers license, I learned exactly the same when I was in driver school. And when it goes from unbroken line to dotted line on the roads, it is because they are trying to lower the public expenditure.

Don?t worry be happy. :cheeky:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Haul them away and charge...

It would be nice for some of the people that were coming here some years ago and that HAVE LIVED HERE FULL TIME for some time give some insight and opinions. Those of us that have seen the changes. Some that post on DR1 live here part time as tourist, don't own property nor a car. Yet they post as being long time and all knowing. Their view is so out of a real living context that I don't know how they have the guts nor the right to be such experts. Others that are in Sosua for the weekend just don't count.

The one way streets are not perfect but are a big improvement to what we came to after several years of a mass increase of gringos, businesses and the money that provided the Dominican up-tick to develop Sosua. In short, the amount to cars on the streets went beyond anything that was planned for and more.

I must say that most of the traffic and parking problems have come from the Gringos that are above “everyone else” and a few Dominicans that prospered. Most have a sense of themselves that they are above everyone else, everyone else. It seams that just about everyone of them have the same …. delusional lack of reality nor care.

HUAL THOSE CARS AWAY AND CHARGE... NEW YORK PRICES.

No, the signs are not perfect but I've not had a problem with them... nor my wife and guests. (Perhaps some should put the beer down a little earlier... or not start so early?)

(We only go into So-sewer when we have to and get out.)

Ringo

Mar 2, 2008
It would seem to me, as a person who lives in Sosua full-time, owns property here, owns and operates a car here, and more importantly, does not feel the need to rush in and out of town, that the traffic is not particularly better or worse than it was four years ago, and those who travel any way they wish on the one-way streets will do so regardless of how many cars are towed or how many one-way violations are given out.

Status
Not open for further replies.