PUJ to Santo Domingo

El Sammy

Feb 2, 2010
Hi,

I am flying into Punta Cana on a flight that gets in at 7pm on a Thursday.

I believe that this is after the last bus to Santo Domingo?

Whats the best way to get to Santo Domingo in this instance? Taxi?

Thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
By the time you clear imigrations and customs you will definately have missed the last bus. The only way to SD that night would be an expensive 3 hour cab ride. Guestimate $150 plus one way. Probably more.

If it's me, I spend the night in Bavaro and go to SD the next day. I rent a car every trip and have driven all over the country, but that is not a drive I would do at night if I didn't absolutely have to. Catch a bus the next day for a fraction of the cost.

janaluna

Jan 5, 2010
Hello!
I will have the same problem. Our flight will arrive at 6h45 p.m., but we can?t spend the night in Punta Cana, because our travel time is too short... so we need to be in Santo Domingo the same day we arrive.
I?ve seen the Dominican Airport Transfers, which was posted here http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-di...lear-info-bus-punta-cana-sd-3.html#post820232 , but the price is so expensive (195 USD).
Does anyone know a cheaper way? How could we get a cheaper taxi?
Thank you!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
No busses or guaguas at that hour. The only way is by cab, and I doubt you will find one for much less than $195 (and if you do, I'd think long and hard about riding with them).

As far as limited time is concerned, are you really going to do much after arriving in SD at close to 11:00? I may not be up on the latest with this, but aren't the clubs in SD still closing at midnight on week days? And keep in mind, that 11:00 arrival would be after a flight and a 3 hour ride. Not likely you'll be getting up too early the next morning after that.

You could get dinner and maybe even hit a club or 2 briefly in Bavaro and still get to bed at a decent hour. Get a good nights sleep and catch the first bus to the Capital, which will probably get you there before 10AM. Quite frankly, traveling the highways in the DR at night is something which is just not recommended unless there is no alternative. Riding in a cab may be easier than driving it yourself, but it's not necessarily safer.

Expensive and risky vs. cheap and relatively safe.
Not too hard a choice if you ask me:

janaluna

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you, sweetdbt!

But I think our only option will be taking the taxi... If we leave the next morning, we?ll have to wake up very early to get the first bus and will arrive in SD around 11 a.m. ... I know how my body is, I?ll be tired to walk around... And we have only 2 days in Santo Domingo and lots to explore (my husband is a Historian and he?s specially interested in the History of navigation). So we prefer to get late at SD and wake up a bit later, around 8 a.m., and have the rest of the day...
Besides, talking about money, I think we?ll spend almost the same if we stay in PC, as we couldn?t find a budget hotel there, only the all inclusive resorts...

Well, anyway, if someone knows a reliable taxi driver that could help us, I appreciate it!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
While I understand your reasoning to get to SD the same day, I have to be honest that I see the issue as safety vs $$. You can definately find cheap and cheerful lodging in Cortecito for the night (not sure if the B and B La Posada de Piedra is still open, maybe someone can confirm?) or Cortecito Inn.

The road from Punta Cana to SD is tough at night for even an experienced driver. There is little to no lighting except when going through some of the bigger cities en route and many vehicles on the roads dont have lights in working order.

To me, that would be the only real consideration but I hope you do whats right for you. Have a good trip.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
What drloca said about the road is my main concern about making the trip at night. The stretch from Punta Cana to Higuey, apart from some of the mountain roads, is one of the worst in the country. Deep potholes with sharp edges. I failed to miss one during the DAYLIGHT a couple of years ago and paid the price with a bent rim and flat tire. It gets a little better from Higuey, through La Romana and on to San Pedro. The last stretch from San Pedro to SD is actually very good road (if you get that far.);).

I have driven literally everywhere in the DR over the past 10 years I have been going there, and trust myself more than a cab driver I've never met. This is not a trip I would take at night. There are lower cost accomodations in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area, and I believe a search of DR1 would provide some options, or perhaps someone can recommend some here.

Of course you know what works best for you as far as schedule is concerned. While each person has their own priorities and has to decide what is best for them, it's always good to make informed choices. Have a great (and safe)trip.

janaluna

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you, sweetdbt and drloca!
After reading your statements I wondered if I still wanted to go to SD in the evening...Then I caught sweetdbt?s tip, about Cortecito, and thanks to the "god"
google, I found a very nice place to stay in Punta Cana, at reasonable prices (50 USD for 2 people):

Guesthouse Punta Cana Dominican Republic

Their website has only the telephone number and email, but I?ve checked at tripadvisor, and there some picutres of the place. Besides, it is a very well quoted B&B:
A nice B&B at a reasonable price - Review of Guesthouse las piedras, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor

I?ve sent them an email today in the morning, and they?ve replied very quickly. Florian, the owner, was very gentil in the email.

Ah, this B&B is called Las Piedras, but I think they have changed the name (to Guesthouse Punta Cana), because there is a bar with that name, and the taxi drivers sometimes don?t know where the place is.

Well, when we come back, I?ll write about it to let you know how it was.

Thank you again!
PS: now we have safety + economy, hehehe...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thank you, sweetdbt and drloca!
After reading your statements I wondered if I still wanted to go to SD in the evening...Then I caught sweetdbt?s tip, about Cortecito, and thanks to the "god"
google, I found a very nice place to stay in Punta Cana, at reasonable prices (50 USD for 2 people):

Guesthouse Punta Cana Dominican Republic

Their website has only the telephone number and email, but I?ve checked at tripadvisor, and there some picutres of the place. Besides, it is a very well quoted B&B:
A nice B&B at a reasonable price - Review of Guesthouse las piedras, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor

I?ve sent them an email today in the morning, and they?ve replied very quickly. Florian, the owner, was very gentil in the email.

Ah, this B&B is called Las Piedras, but I think they have changed the name (to Guesthouse Punta Cana), because there is a bar with that name, and the taxi drivers sometimes don?t know where the place is.

Well, when we come back, I?ll write about it to let you know how it was.

Thank you again!
PS: now we have safety + economy, hehehe...

I am pleased to see you have decided to spend a night in Punta Cana before leaving for the capital.

I am wondering if this B & B was formerly called La Posada de Piedra? We stayed there many years ago and in more recent years I heard they had closed to remodel the place. If it is in fact the same place, it was wonderful then so am sure is even better now.

Enjoy!

E

engineerfg

Not sure if this helps, but I was in this predicament a while back and I called Aerolineas Mas... my ticket was $125USD, but the plane was very cozy. It was just the pilot, me (sitting next to the pilot) and one other person behind us -- no room for anyone else. Just our bags.

So worth giving them a call in case they can arrange the same.