metro and earthquake

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Was the metro designed to be earthquake proof or will it be a death trap? I can't imagine putting a underground metro in a country which has earthquakes. Did they do a study before they spent all that money?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What DID happen in Mexico's subways during the earthquake in '85?

Nothing!!! They halted service for obvious safety reasons over potential electrocutions. Also some lines were shut down for longer periods to allow the rubble to be removed from the surface above, without adding for straphangers spilling all over the place.

The SD Metro infrastructure is by far the one with the latest seismic and safety codes in the western and much of the eastern hemisphere!!!!!

Even flooding controls that ARE NOT present in large systems like the NYC Subway, were provisioned in the SD Metro...

The safest place to be during a temblor in the DR might as well be in an underground station of the SD Metro. Even the elevated spans were built with the latest available seismic resistance codes in use by California, for that type of balanced load columns.

The concrete guards that surround the elevated are fully flexible, able to move independently to disperse vibrations and stress forces.
The overhead catenaries are fitted with circuit interruptors inserted in the poles (risers), which will set off a safety breaker to automatically shut the power off, if the lines were to make contact with anything other than the train car's feeders.

During Haiti's temblor that was felt in the DR, several safety systems initiated in the SD Metro. Reason why it was evacuated and shut down completely, in an orderly and safe manner.

Last edited:

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Was the metro designed to be earthquake proof or will it be a death trap? I can't imagine putting a underground metro in a country which has earthquakes. Did they do a study before they spent all that money?

I don't think there are many locations on Earth immune to earthquakes.