newspapers

T

Tammy

I'm looking to find out what newspaper would service the area of Mao Valerde. I have a client who is seeking a divorce and I need to give notice to the husband by way of publication in a newspaper in the Dominican Republic. Any information would be very helpful.

K

Keith

Tammy,

The big three newspapers -- Listin Diario, El Siglo and Hoy -- have national distribution, and do not serve only one area. They're probably your safest bet.
Regards,
Keith

www.elsiglo.net
www.listin.com.do
www.hoy.com.do

T

Tammy

With respect to the three newspapers, if I were to call to place a publication in the newspaper, will it need to be in I assume spanish or can it be in english. If I were to call, do they speak english. It sounds like a silly question but we have no idea.

C

ciberstew

Do like the Dominican Divorce lawyers do Place it in the cheapest paper it doesn't matter if he reads it or not. You have complied by the law.

S

Sarah

Why not try emailing them?

www.elsiglo.net - elsiglo@elsiglord.com
www.listin.com.do - m.franjul@codetel.net.do; p.guerra@codetel.net.do
www.hoy.com.do - periodico.hoy@codetel.net.do

Good Luck, Sarah

K

Keith

Re: Why not try emailing them?

Tammy,

I think Sarah has the right idea. I taught English in Santo Domingo to many "bilingual" secretaries and professionals, including several journalists, and I must say that most do fine in written correspondence, okay conversing in-person, but poorly over the phone. In most big offices -- certainly at those three newspapers -- there's always someone on-staff who can reply to an English language e-mail. But if you call, chances are poor that the person in the office who speaks English well over the phone will be the one you actually talk to.
Regards,
Keith

J

Jo Anne

Re: Why not try emailing them?

If you have a language barrier, contact AT&T and ask for a Spanish translator. We use them all the time at work. As with anything, sometimes you get a fabulous translator, sometimes, not. For what you need, I think you will be okay using them.

S

Sarah

Good link: Newspapers from around the world...

http://www.playernet.net/newspapers/