number of deadly traffic accidents in DR

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I was trying to find any statistics (google) about the number of deadly traffic accidents in the DR. I could only find a post from somebody saying that its about 1800 a year. While this number is really high, (about a 1000 more then in my country with 6 million more citizens) I think its surprisingly low, considering the state of the roads, the reckless driving and the number of motos. Does anybody know where I can find (more or less) reliable statistics?

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
This 2002 report does not have hard numbers, but ranks causes of death by age group in the DR. For people aged 15-49, "external causes " were responsible for 44% of all deaths, followed by communicable diseases including HIV and tuberculosis at 21.6%. There is some ambiguity between their chart and the explanations which follow this chart on page #293. I believe they lump vehicle accidents, homicide, etc under "external causes".

For women aged 15-49, AIDS was #1, "external causes" was #2, and "undetermined" was #3. For men aged 15-49, vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death, followed by "undetermined causes", and 3rd by HIV/AIDS.

See page #293 of this report at the Pan American Health Organization:

http://www.paho.org/HIA/archivosvol2/paisesing/Dominican Republic English.pdf

On Wikipedia, they list the death rates per 100,000 population by traffic accidents by country:

DR : 17.3 per 100,000
US: 11.2 per 100,000
UK: 5.4 per 100,000
Canada: 8.8 per 100,000
Poland: 14.7 per 100,000

at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Last edited:

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
That's a very interesting read, I had no idea HIV/Aids was such an issue here. Education Education Education, seems no other way, but when you look at the stats for those finishing school, no wonder they aren't getting the education they need.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Thanks el forastero, I read somewhere else that the dr had around 30 deadly traffic accidents for every 100.000, but its impossible for me to know which numbers are correct or even more reliable...

If i see the list from wikipedia I do think the numbers are quite low for the dr. That is if I just think about the number of deadly accidents I?ve seen and the number of people that i know who have died in traffic accident...

DRNED: i did research in the DR a few years ago in the DR (teenagers from 13 to 22), you would be suprised. It appeared that most teenagers had quite some knowledge about HIV/AIDS; how to get it and how to prevent it. BUT there were also soooooo many wrong assumption, that existed next to the right ideas. For example somebody knew that having sex with a condom prevented AIDS, but at the same time this person thought u could also get Aids through a mosquite bite or by swimming in the same pool with someone who has Aids and cure it by sleeping with a virgin....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was trying to find any statistics (google) about the number of deadly traffic accidents in the DR. I could only find a post from somebody saying that its about 1800 a year. While this number is really high, (about a 1000 more then in my country with 6 million more citizens) I think its surprisingly low, considering the state of the roads, the reckless driving and the number of motos. Does anybody know where I can find (more or less) reliable statistics?

What country would that be if you don't mind me asking? Also how's the Motoconcho and Pasola situation in your country?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
What country would that be if you don't mind me asking? Also how's the Motoconcho and Pasola situation in your country?

The Netherlands, in my country the roads are good,traffic rules are enforced, not too many pasola?s (they go on bicycle paths mostly) and wearing a helmet is compulsary. But thats exactly my point, if you look at the traffic situation in the DR i think the number of 1700/1800 in the DR is really low.

Mar 2, 2008
As DonP pointed out, the statistics in the DR are iffy, at best.

In the Netherlands, where data and statistics are taken seriously, you tend to get a clearer picture of what is actually happening. In the DR, you have to take the 'official' statistics with a grain of salt, or perhaps an entire salt-lick.