Any idea how long it should take for a letter to make it from Canada to Puerto Plata

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how long it should take for a letter (containing card and pics)to be received in puerto plata from Canada. Canada post advised me it should take about 7 days but I'm not to confident in the DR postal efficiency...LOL

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Back in 2006 I sent several cards and letters on various occasions and even a small bubble pack envelope with a used cell phone in it to Sosua and it made it within 14 days...I haven't sent anything lately now that I actually live in the DR...so this post may not be entirely helpful

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
one month would be considered fast. Two months not all that bad. Three months is about right. I have see as much as 8 months..which is why nobody that can avoid them, would use them!!

HB

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
thanks

Back in 2006 I sent several cards and letters on various occasions and even a small bubble pack envelope with a used cell phone in it to Sosua and it made it within 14 days...I haven't sent anything lately now that I actually live in the DR...so this post may not be entirely helpful

Thanks I just wanted to have some idea. I guess my attempt to have it there for Valentine's Day was a pipe dream. LOL as long as it gets there eventually...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
sounds like email is the way to go then

one month would be considered fast. Two months not all that bad. Three months is about right. I have see as much as 8 months..which is why nobody that can avoid them, would use them!!

HB

I guess emai is always better than snail mail. Problem is my friend has no email address at the moment. I once received a mother's day card from Colombia in December. So I guess DR mail service is about as crappy.:knockedou

Sunflower333

May 25, 2009
I have mailed 3 different times in the past 2 years (1 of them was registered mail) and nothing ever reached their destination so I don't have much luck that way....

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
canada post bubble mailer 7 day service actually takes about 5-7 weeks to reach POP.

make sure you send things to an address in POP because anything in the campo may never get there.

i have sent a few packages containing dvds and all arrived intact within that timeframe.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I got my companies Xmas card that was mailed in the US November 1st and arrived here the end of March. Better then last year which took till April to arrive.

Bob K

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have mailed 3 different times in the past 2 years (1 of them was registered mail) and nothing ever reached their destination so I don't have much luck that way....

Still waiting for my grandsons pictures going on 6 years. Don't hold your breath. These were sent from the US to a PO box in Santo Domingo.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
mail

i am still waiting for mail sent 5 years ago. just letters with a couple of photos... none of them has ever arrived

Jan 22, 2010
daily there are flights from Canada, so why just not give the envelop with another tourist and put a phone number on it

easy and simple

T.E.

:smoke:

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks everyone

Wow, I guess I'm glad I have the originals of the pics here. With such unreliable mail service, I feel sympathetic toward those who are attempting to sponsor individuals and have paperwork ongoing etc. I have posted the pics on facebook now and hopefully my friend will be able to get online and have a look. Cheers to all who provided feedback.

May 29, 2006
What you can do is set up a new email account for them and then have them go to a cybercafe and log in with the password you give them. I think it's about 60 pesos an hour for most cafes and maybe cheaper in non tourist areas. Be sure to set up an account in Spanish language website like this:

Yahoo! Espa?a

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Email account

What you can do is set up a new email account for them and then have them go to a cybercafe and log in with the password you give them. I think it's about 60 pesos an hour for most cafes and maybe cheaper in non tourist areas. Be sure to set up an account in Spanish language website like this:

Yahoo! Espa?a

Thanks that's a good idea. I will try and get this set up asap.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
anyone sponsoring their spouse wouldn't rely on canada post or the local dominican mail system to send paperwork.

in this case you would use DHL or UPS and get it there within a few days.

this costs about $60 per envelope.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I tried this once...

Yahoo! Espa?a

After experiencing a two month delivery time for a letter which I sent from Washington, DC to Santo Domingo several years ago I went with the intended recipient and set up an email accout for future correspondence. I had them write down the new username and password as we went through the account setup together at the internet cafe. We did test emails back and forth and it all worked.

What I noticed during this process was the extreme difficulty and discomfort which our new email account user was having with the written word. I had never even considered that reading and writing simple sentences could be a problem for an adult (40 y/o) who is otherwise very intelligent and very capable. I guess there is a vast difference between "book" literacy and "stop sign" literacy that doesn't show up in the official statistics. I now take care to determine the level of a person's education before possibly embarrassing them by referring to written methods of communication.

I had no idea how poorly prepared the general population was to communicate in written form before this. Apparently this is getting better where the current public school student population is concerned because we resumed correspondence via email with the help of their (then) 9 year old daughter who writes well and is coming along very well in English language writing and comprehension as well and is very comfortable using computers.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Good to know

anyone sponsoring their spouse wouldn't rely on canada post or the local dominican mail system to send paperwork.

in this case you would use DHL or UPS and get it there within a few days.

this costs about $60 per envelope.

That's a pretty hefty cost for an envelope. It's almost as expensive as trying to ship anything up to the NWT here in Canada.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
written responses

After experiencing a two month delivery time for a letter which I sent from Washington, DC to Santo Domingo several years ago I went with the intended recipient and set up an email accout for future correspondence. I had them write down the new username and password as we went through the account setup together at the internet cafe. We did test emails back and forth and it all worked.

What I noticed during this process was the extreme difficulty and discomfort which our new email account user was having with the written word. I had never even considered that reading and writing simple sentences could be a problem for an adult (40 y/o) who is otherwise very intelligent and very capable. I guess there is a vast difference between "book" literacy and "stop sign" literacy that doesn't show up in the official statistics. I now take care to determine the level of a person's education before possibly embarrassing them by referring to written methods of communication.

I had no idea how poorly prepared the general population was to communicate in written form before this. Apparently this is getting better where the current public school student population is concerned because we resumed correspondence via email with the help of their (then) 9 year old daughter who writes well and is coming along very well in English language writing and comprehension as well and is very comfortable using computers.

My friend is actually quite fluent in English and is avidly studying to expand his vocab. I'm sure in this case he will be able to converse via email and if he can't find the words in English I also have a limited abililty to converse in Spanish. With all the online translation tools out there we will get by just fine I'm sure. The trick right now is just trying to get in touch at all to set up an email or get passwords working etc... we've been playing telephone tag for weeks.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Wow, I guess I'm glad I have the originals of the pics here. With such unreliable mail service, I feel sympathetic toward those who are attempting to sponsor individuals and have paperwork ongoing etc. I have posted the pics on facebook now and hopefully my friend will be able to get online and have a look. Cheers to all who provided feedback.

There are several Internet Cafe type places in Puerto Plata & setting up a Yahoo or hotmail account will be very simple. Virtually ANY of these places will be able to show your friend how to set up an account for himself.

Re mail to the DR (& Puerto Plata in particular for you & your friend) might I suggest he sets himself up an account with Business Mail in Plaza Turisol (opposite the Brugal Warehouse) on the Playa Dorada side of town. You can then send normal mail to their Miami address (you pay that postage) & he collects once they deliver to the Puerto Plata office . This normally takes two weeks door to door & HE pays the Miami-Puerto Plata fee (RD $20 for a letter/card or per pound for larger items!!). You'll have to advise him when you have sent cards/letters etc. so he can check its/their arrival, as they do not call clients unless there is a PACKAGE to be collected! ~ Grahame.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i'm a big fan of things working out with dominicans, i would just like to mention one red flag that comes up from living here since 2001 and going out with quite a few dominicanas.

if they don't have an email address/regularly use the internet, its a big red flag as to their educational level. its probably a lot lower than you are used to. pretty much everyone in the puerto plata area can get online whenever they want to.

its fine if you are comfortable with it, just be aware that educationally he might be quite a long way behind you.

Reactions: mike l