Lap band surgery

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My coworker who is an American guy want to go to Mexico to have this surgery done, I told him that I'll try to find some advise in the DR about this, any info will be appreciated.

JJ

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The only advise I can give is that it is a dangerous procedure and it's complications are also complicated.

These procedure is usually done only if the morbidly obese is in a life threating situation

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Well he knows the risk, the reason I'm trying to find more info for him in the DR is because he doesn't know nobody in Mexico, I'm thinking in the DR he can find help in my family just in case the surgery gets complicated, but he already have the decision to do it.

Check, this is the last Email he sent me:

I found a company that that's all they do,and their price covers everything,Dr.,hospital,courier van,two nights in the hospital,one year of adjustments,everything but the plane ticket.
I've already checked out their references and they all check out.
I don't think any ones going to beat their price of & 5,400.00.
See what you can find out,the name of this company is Welcome to Beliteweight.
When I go down there I won't even leave the Hospital,I'll fly down,have the surgery the same day,stay in the Hospital for two nights then come home.
I'll only be out of work for one week.I've never flown before so that bothers me a little,but I hope it won't be that bad?

XXXX

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hope this guy has done his homework. This surgery is not a tummy tuck that many go to DR for.

One of my cousins had the lap band done. First she had to be 'mentally' approved by a psychologist [even though she IS one], then she had to have substantial medical testing, and had to be on a strict diet for some time [4 weeks I think] before it was done. Afterwards she had to have it adjusted several times - they stick a needle through the skin into the band to add or remove saline to tighten or loosen the band. She had so many problems that they had to remove all the saline [the band is still in there, I guess]. What's this guy going to do, fly to Mexico every time he needs an adjustment? Kind of scary to think about that, and those plane tickets can add up quickly. And what will he do if he has an emergency and no US doctor?

In the USA most insurance companies will pay for the lap band if the person has any medical conditions in addition to being [I think] 100 pounds or more overweight. I have no idea what the lap band costs in the US, but this is serious stuff, and I'd really recommend your friend get it done close to his home and forget Mexico and/or DR.

Reactions: Bronxboy

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That doesn't sound right...he's going to fly in and have the surgery the same day? I thought a bunch of studies needed to be performed first/

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
That doesn't sound right...he's going to fly in and have the surgery the same day? I thought a bunch of studies needed to be performed first/

$5,400 for surgery in Mexico????

Make sure they put down a deposit of no more than $100 and the other $500 is due if he wakes up from Anathestics ( Tequilla is not ether ).

Then you can negotiate paying the balance without infections over the next 30 days.

Bottom line....never pay up front for your funeral.

You may or may not get buried!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
While I support the lapband procedure for morbid obese folks in which their health is at risk, there's nothing that can't be fixed by a couple of months in Atkins.