laptop questions

M

Marvin

My wife wants to bring her laptop with us to Puerto Plata in March. Is there anything special we should do to prepare it for there. Getting through customs, electrical requirements, extra surge protection, security? I know, it's supposed to be a vacation, believe me, you won't catch me within 10 feet of it. I'll probably have plenty of time to cruise. :) LOL

K

Keith

Marvin,

Even though I too have a tendency to take my laptop wherever I go, I can't see hauling it along on vacation to PP!!! Maybe your wife needs a vacation away from the keyboard...

Well, if she insists on bringing it along, your wife probably will not have problems getting through Customs with the laptop, esp. if carried in a shoulder case. I lived and worked four years in the DR, came and went numerous times with my laptop. Only asked about it once, and I said it was a computer I use in my work, that I'm a writer (easier than explaining writer/consultant/researcher). The officer nodded and that was that. If you wish to be on the cautious side, take a copy of her sales slip for the computer with you, or go to the Customs office at the airport you're departing from in the US (presume Canada can do this too) and ask for the declaration form that shows they stamp that attests that the item in question is a personal use item which was in your possession when you left the US. Probably won't need it, though.

As for other things to know, I would STRONGLY suggest full surge protection for both the electrical connection and modem connection. Most telephone lines in DR get surges; I fried two modems and a fax while living in the DR, and once that was when I supposedly had line surge protection.

If she really plans to use the laptop much, I would also urge using a Lithium Ion battery, or if that is not possible, take a second battery along. Blackouts are unpredictable, and even hotels supposedly equipped with generators can be affected. Low voltage can also affect some computers. She'll need the batteries to tide her over through such periods.

Last but not least, protect the laptop. Don't leave it lying around you room. It may not be there when you get back to your room. A good laptop can sell for quite a bit in the DR and would prove a tempting target for a thief.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith

D

Duck

Marvin,

There should be no problem bringing the laptop into the country - I do it all of the time. The electricity is 60 HZ (kind of), supposedly 110v, but this varies ........ Most newer laptops have some kind of surge protection on the power supply, but I still only charge mine on the grid, but run it off of the battery when I'm using it.

If your wife needs it primarily for communicating, I would suggest using an internet cafe (if possible for her needs - use web-based e-mail, it works great!) for e-mail as opposed to dragging the computer. Internet cafes are plentiful around most tourist areas on the island. The lines may be better and faster than you will find hooking up your own computer.

I was just down there for 5 weeks in Dec/Jan, and looking back -- I am very glad that the I couldn't use my cell phone, and the phone lines in Montecristi were very, very, very slow, so I COULDN'T communicate TOO much with work. They even survived without me ...... (..... and I without them!)

Anyhow, if the choice is staying home or working a bit in Puerto Plata - I think I'd bring the laptop!!

Cheers!

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

hola Marvin,
There is no problem bringing the laptop into the country - I do it all of the time(since 3 y) to, never ever a prob.
Even not with the power (if its lower than 89V no recharge or suply)and the phone conection(if codetel works*lol*).
Where I life (a dominican/haitiatian part, gues Iam the only one....)I get a good speed in the inet and fast conectet. Better than every inetcafe here around.
But close by is the "Gringoarea" Costambar (less than 1km) and they have probs and very bad speed.......
so its realy up, where you stay.
cu/charly

B

Bob Morris

Just another Positive note. I had NO trouble with my laptop last year, at either airport (making certain the security people KNOW it's a laptop) nor at the hotel. Granted I didn't leave it out in plain sight when I was out of my room but I still wasn't concerned.

I did use an Internet cafe type of operation nearby when I wanted to check the markets or send and check email. It cost a bit and was terribly sloooooow but it was preferable to trying to find an ISP for a short period down there.

Enjoy yourselves - both of you.

M

Marvin

Thanks to all of you for the insightful comments. It's hard to imagine not having the convenience of being able to communicate with so many people with the experience you need. Are forums great or what? :) Anyway, my wife is writing a memoir (unpublished so far), and she needs to finish it. Staying an extra week was her way to get it done. Who am I to argue?
Thanks again.

S

Sue

Are there internet cafe's in Santo Domingo ro Boca CHica? Can you explain how they work? Thanks

E

Eddy

I've never seen a thread this long where everybody agreed. I guess that's what happens when everyone is correct.

D

Duck

I assume there are, you just go in and tell the clerk/waitress/whoever looks like they work there, that you need a computer. Most places do it in 15 min. periods, so you tell them how long they should give you access, and then pay afterwards. Other places dop it according to the minute. Web based e-mail (like hotmail) works great to communicate this way.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: laptop questions *PIC*

There are lots of places in Boca Chica. The most recent setup I've seen is right on the beach at Terraza Club (info at http://www.bocachicabeach.net/beach_bar_and_dining.html).

You also have Codetel on the main strip, and many hotels. For example, the Hamaca has a business center for use by guests and there is an internet cafe at the Costalunga Hotel with several terminals.

Check the archives for Santo Domingo. The many locations have been posted in the past.

You just sit down at the terminal and use it. They are already connected to the Internet. You pay for the time you use, and also any extra services such as printing. In some, they have a little more sophisticated setup. You fill out a form and they give you a user-id and password. When you go to the terminal, you must logon first and logoff when done. When you go to pay, they look up your time via your user-id. The smaller shops track time informally.

There's nothing like checking your E-mail on the beach while drinking a cold Presidente though.