Master of the Ocean 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Master of the Ocean once again takes front stage on the shores of Cabarete from 24-28 February. This year's competition will showcase more than 80 national and international athletes competing in surf, kitesurf and windsurf. Also, a new category, stand up paddle board, has been added.

Just like every year, there will be plenty of live music coupled with the competition.

I'll be in Cabarete from 26-28 February covering the event for dr1.com. Anyone else gonna be there?

For more information and for event schedules visit Home Master Of The Ocean

Reactions: mike l
May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Master of the Ocean

Holiday makers and residents of Cabarete/Sosua/Puerto Plata; get ready for the Master of the Ocean competition beginning today at Bozo Beach, Cabarete. Wind did not look so favorable, but now much better forecast and some really huge waves now on their way to make this already entertaining and difficult competition even better.

Competitors must take part in three different disciplines, kite-boarding, surfing AND windsurfing; the winner having to excel in all three, which is no easy task. It's a world class competition so if you are around Cabarete over the next two days, go to the main bay and watch talented sportsmen and women compete from all over.

The competition moves to Encuentro beach on Saturday and Sunday where conditions should be very challenging indeed - 2 metre waves heading for Encuentro on Saturday :nervous:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How close to Kite Beach is Encuentro? Can I walk to it from Kite Beach?

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
you can walk, but it will take a good 40 minutes when you keepp walkin in firm pass...

Take a motoconcho.. 10 minutes for $2,00

Reactions: mike l

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
you can walk, but it will take a good 40 minutes when you keepp walkin in firm pass...

Take a motoconcho.. 10 minutes for $2,00

I don't like motoconchos. Coming from Sosua by Publico or guagua, how will I know when I get to Playa Encuentro? I'm assuming it is before I get to Kite Beach; what landmarks do I look for?

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I don't like motoconchos. Coming from Sosua by Publico or guagua, how will I know when I get to Playa Encuentro? I'm assuming it is before I get to Kite Beach; what landmarks do I look for?

Do you know the Coconut Grove Condo project on the north side of the highway? Yes it is before Kite Beach, probably about 3/4 mile past Sea Horse. Turn in there and follow the road to the Ocean and that is where Encuentro Beach is.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Friday's lack of wind at Playa Encuentro forced the windsurf and kitesurf competitions to be pushed to Saturday. The only action at Encuentro was the surfing competition in the morning which included only "overall" surfing competitors. Overall surfers look to take the Master of the Ocean crown in all three disciplines instead of just surf. 16 overall surfers will head to the next round on Saturday. Included in the group is last year's Master of the Ocean champion Emmanuel David Rond?n and Luciano Gonzalez: Master of the Ocean champion in 2005 and 2006.

A dreary day at the beach was livened up at Lax Bar in Cabarete for the Master of the Ocean night party. Festivities included a bikini contest and a live performance by dj Mahogany.

There's plenty of pics to load. You can start seeing them as I load here: Master of the Ocean 2010 - DR1 Media Gallery

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
After a dreary Friday, Saturday was a perfect day for competing. Big waves in the morning for the surfers and strong winds all afternoon for kite and windsurf. The winds made for a great exhibition in the kiteboarding event with riders catching huge air and putting on a show for the crowd.

Everything comes down to Sunday. Judges have the results for the kiteboard discipline and will present them on Sunday afternoon. Still in limbo is the surf, windsurf and overall Master of the Ocean crown, which comes with US$10,000 in prize money.

Last year's champion, Emmanuel David Rond?n, along with the 2005 and 2006 champion, Luciano Gonzalez, are neck in neck heading into the final day of competition.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
As already mentioned, Luciano Gonzalez is the 2010 Master of the Ocean, taking the crown from the defending champion, Emmanuel David Rond?n, who finished second.

Much like Friday, Sunday was a great day for surf but a poor day for wind and kitesurf. All final results for the overall Master of the Ocean champion in kite and windurf were taken from Saturday as both disciplines were once again impossible to perform due to lack of wind.

Chilean, Manuel Selman, was named surf champion for the second consecutive year. Alex Soto took the crown for Master kite surf and Eduardo Castillo Torres for Master wind surf.

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Popito

Props go to young Popito Santana who knocked off some older more established surfers to take 3r place in as mentioned less than desirable surf. I watched one of his heats and he was pushing the older guys.

Took these a few days later (when the weather and surf improved) Popito was still sporting the rashie he wore in the finals, so proud he was.

IMG_0950_s.jpg

IMG_1134_s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.