Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Any one know what the big fire between Cabarete and Sabaneta is all about. The smoke is clouding the sky even here in Sosua.

Bob k

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Could be they are burning the cane fields to get ready for harvest?

Cane fields around here?

A little ash falling on the beach in Cabarete this morning, and again after the wind died down about 4pm. Funny, just had a 3" piece of ash float down by my foot as I wrote this. Looks like it's snowing dirty snow.

May 29, 2006
Nah, it's short cycle CO2. The cane absorbed CO2 as it grew and it releases it burning or decaying. It's carbon neutral. Drink up.

May 29, 2006
I'm not on the island so I can't confirm or deny what happened, but it is the zafra(sugar harvest) until about May and I have seen them burning the fields this time of year before.

It might be a good idea to put a premium on sugar harvested in the next few months to create a demand for Haitian cane cutters. They sometimes let cane fields sit unharvested for years until the price makes it worth their while to cut it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Zafra!

I'm not on the island so I can't confirm or deny what happened, but it is the zafra(sugar harvest) until about May and I have seen them burning the fields this time of year before.

It might be a good idea to put a premium on sugar harvested in the next few months to create a demand for Haitian cane cutters. They sometimes let cane fields sit unharvested for years until the price makes it worth their while to cut it.

I am sure the Haitian cane cutters are trading Sugar No. 11 futures on The ICE to hedge the demand for the uncut cane. I recently overheard a guy putting on a swap in Mu?oz on his iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: whirleybird

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
OK, for those who doesn't know the way the Haitians burn a whole sugar field in one minute.

Here we go:
Take a big mouse and pour gasoline all over the animal then ignite the very end of his tail with a lighter and let him go running into the sugar cane plantation.:paranoid:

Smart

JJ

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Reason I questioned the sugar cane answer was that when I was at La Boca de Yasica today & saw the smoke, it appeared to be coming from an area near the mountains where I'd be somewhat surprised there is sugar cane. Could be wrong though ;)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
So now that every is off thier sugar "high" does anyone know what the fire was about??

Bob K

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
It is the grasses in the lagoon that are on fire. It happens about twice a year. The ash has stopped falling from the sky but yesterday morning the ash was everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.