Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default painting a house - costs

I have been told by a Dominican friend that he can get a gallon of amarillo claro for the front of the house for 700 pesos a gallon. He will need about 6 gallons he says. Does that sound a good price or am I being taken??I rent a house in laCaleta and told him he can paint the front if he likes.. but now a Domincan here says it is too much, and he is taking advantage... any thoughts.. to me living here in the States 20 bucks a can for a gallon sounds about right... but over there??

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

6 gallons is a lot of paint. The rule of thumb for smooth surfaces is 400 sq ft per gallon per coat, but I don't know what your building size is or the material. Most people who know what they are doing with paint know this, so the guy is either inexperienced, thinking a couple coats, or not being honest. If he is scamming you for three gallons, that is 60 bucks so it would be a very nice day's pay for him.

It could be some other guy thought he needed 12 gallons and only needed 6 so your friend was able to buy the stuff off of him for 300 peso, who knows.
    Last edited by PeterInBrat; 03-23-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

700 for one gallon is a lot I think, but maybe it is the magic paint that doesnt need 27 coats

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

why doesnt he buy a five gallon container which is cheaper than 6 one gallon ones

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A gallon that is not specially prepared runs about 420.00

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i imagine his house isn't big enough to warrant 6 gallons... and especially "amarillo claro" isn't going to cost that much,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with jrhartley or only buy a couple of gallons and see how it goes, if you have someone here you can relay the information. Or wait til you come back.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why dont you go yourself and buy the paint and pay this guy just for the labor?
    A gallon of good exterior paint cost around 490.00 in Matices or Terminaciones (which are the most expensives places). I do not recommend to buy paint in small ferrreterias.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amstellite View Post
    I have been told by a Dominican friend that he can get a gallon of amarillo claro for the front of the house for 700 pesos a gallon. He will need about 6 gallons he says. Does that sound a good price or am I being taken??I rent a house in laCaleta and told him he can paint the front if he likes.. but now a Domincan here says it is too much, and he is taking advantage... any thoughts.. to me living here in the States 20 bucks a can for a gallon sounds about right... but over there??
    Six gallons for just the FRONT! Must be a very big house or he is taking you for a fool. Start hanging out on the north coast and drop that family out of your life.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

if your talking about the family you are helping, please amstellite, please stop!

and yes you are being taken for a fool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast