Setting up Business in DR possibly.

markbrown

Mar 26, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am involved in many types of businesses of my own as well as a consultant and owners representative for several other companies. I have worked very hard during my career to obtain the network I have and try to make good business decisions which are profitable for everyone involved with me.

I have studied very long about countries outside the US to move operations. I have researched many possibilities. But I have come to the conclusion there is only one place that is at the very top of my list and that is the DR. I believe the DR has the right combination of opportunity and risk I am willing to take.

I am accumulating contacts and information towards taking the next step and actually trying to get something on the ground in DR. I want to make sure though I am dealing with the right groups who will consider the long term benefits to being fair over the short term profits they may gain by not being forthcoming.

For me this will not be a one time one business move. This will entail many companies bringing many opportunities to the DR over several years. So with this level of responsibility I have to be cautious but I am very optimistic to see what is happening in DR right now. I am very impressed with the DR.

I appreciate all the information here as it has been a wonderful resource for me to see an accurate diverse account of what I can expect.

Thank you all,
Mark Brown

markbrown

Mar 26, 2010
Well I was trying to respond twice and I'm puzzled - I guess I can not quote anyone without moderation or something. It is very difficult to be part of a forum where you have to wait OVER 24 hours for someone to approve your post and they still don't get approved. But by using the quick reply my post went right through and I didn't get the post will have to be approved by the moderator message. I was wondering why there was so little traffic here now I know. 4th post 2 showing.

Mark

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ian,
HE knows he's the OP,
looks like he tried to answer with quotes of prior posts shown and that didn't work for what ever reason.
on the other side, i fsuch quoting is temporarily out of service questions also can be asked and answered without the quoting feature, just copy/paste the part you wanna 'quote' and write ''quote'' above it.
cyberspace can be a weird toy sometimes, but there's always a way for each to express himself/herself.
so to Mark:
what kinda operations/business you plan to do?
there are thousands of business opportunities to set up around the globe and DR is a part of that globe, yes.
in case of Tax saving the Virgin Islands are the much better place to do so for US businesses, but let us know what you are looking on so we may be able to answer some upcoming questions or give advice etc etc.
Mike

markbrown

Mar 26, 2010
There are several things I would consider in DR. Immediately I wanted to try and setup a combination computer lab, cafe, business center. It would sever my own business needs as well as be available for public use. I am fishing around here that's what most entrepreneurs do right?

Mark

ps wow tough crowd here all trying to hurting my feelings and such lol.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What am I seeing moving in Santo Domingo right now, for gringos anyway.

1) Virtual type business centers. Rent the booth space, offer the office services.

2) Rental apartments done the right way. 1 or 2 bedroom, IKEA type furniture, fast internet, secure, located within 20 mins of the Colonial Zone.

My advice if your serious about doing business here:

1) Avoid the tourist related areas, cut your teeth in the capital. The money is here.

2) Know the language and culture, well!

3) Be very careful who you network and deal with. Use your gut and usual due diligence. This goes for both gringos and Dominicans. (This site can help).

4) Do not invest 1c unless you have been here for at least 6 months or have been visiting often for a very long time.

5) Don't assume you know anything about doing business in the DR, because you don't!
It's not like anything you have ever experienced, I don't care how well travelled you are. See #4.

6) The #1 killer of gringo businesses here, ignorance. See #4.

7) Dominicans can be your biggest asset. Learn who's who and how to navigate the social circles. Network, network, network!

8) Utilize DR1, it will be your best friend and can offer more than you ever imagined, if you learn to use it and give back.

The above is based on 12 years of living and doing business here, and seeing more businesses fail than I care to mention.

markbrown

Mar 26, 2010
Robert,

Thank you I plan to consult highly qualified persons to setup my businesses. I am yet to find those professionals and so I have started my fishing expedition. I didn't become successful by not adhering to the disciplines you so were good enough to recommend. I take everything you suggested above to heart and again I thank you.

Mark

markbrown

Mar 26, 2010
Windeguy,

I appreciate the advice and concerns and take them seriously. I will not be coming to DR without experts who I expect to be well versed in how to work within the guidelines of the country's nuances. I just need to make sure I have the right experts that's all and that is why I am here fishing around.

Mark

P

poponlaburra

What am I seeing moving in Santo Domingo right now, for gringos anyway.

1) Virtual type business centers. Rent the booth space, offer the office services.

2) Rental apartments done the right way. 1 or 2 bedroom, IKEA type furniture, fast internet, secure, located within 20 mins of the Colonial Zone.

My advice if your serious about doing business here:

1) Avoid the tourist related areas, cut your teeth in the capital. The money is here.

2) Know the language and culture, well!

3) Be very careful who you network and deal with. Use your gut and usual due diligence. This goes for both gringos and Dominicans. (This site can help).

4) Do not invest 1c unless you have been here for at least 6 months or have been visiting often for a very long time.

5) Don't assume you know anything about doing business in the DR, because you don't!
It's not like anything you have ever experienced, I don't care how well travelled you are. See #4.

6) The #1 killer of gringo businesses here, ignorance. See #4.

7) Dominicans can be your biggest asset. Learn who's who and how to navigate the social circles. Network, network, network!

8) Utilize DR1, it will be your best friend and can offer more than you ever imagined, if you learn to use it and give back.

The above is based on 12 years of living and doing business here, and seeing more businesses fail than I care to mention.

Greatly put!! Thanks.

Can you stablish a business without incorporating it first?
Does one have to incorporate first and if so what are the different type of business catergories in DR? For example here in US you have: Sole proprietorship, Corporation (Few types), ect, all these based on what type of taxes you want or can afford to pay? What is that the goverment allows you to have?
Is that base on taxes?