Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skype for SIP instead of Vonage

I was wondering if anybody has taken advantage of the Skype for SIP system in lieu of using Vonage to make calls abroad from the DR?

Skype released the SIP beta program to enable this recently and it appears one can buy a PBX for less than US100 and program it in order to use it with a regular phone instead of the computer to make calls a la Vonage. The advantages are cost and the fact that Skype has not been easily shut down by internet providers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know this Chip. Im using the ordinary Skype on my computer.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this one

www.tk6000.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andy_089 View Post
    Try this one

www.tk6000.com
    Andy

Thanks. I'm committed to going with Skype based on my research. The reason being is that I'm running a business and can't afford for the system to be down at any time. There are many VOIP providers but unfortunately few are good enough that one could depend on enough to run a business.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

??? gurus help please!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Betamax services for 7 years now and can't complain. For 5 Euro every 2 months you get 300 minutes of free calls every week to their FREE destinations. If you go over your 300-minute limit they will start charging you something between 0.5 or 1 cent a minute.

Here is web site you can compare the rates for different clones of Betamax -

betamax price comparison

Regarding nettalk box - crap-crap-crap. You can buy a regular Linksys VoIP adapter for less than 40 USD and program it to use with Betamax. Connect the box to the internet LAN, plug in any touch-tone phone and receive & make free calls without computer.

Yes, I have been also using it for business - no problem at all. Very reliable service.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Speak to AZB about this. He is the board "guru" when it comes to SIP phones, VOIP etc.

He set me up with free calls to USA, Europe etc

When you get into SIP phones, software, routers etc, it starts to get a little technical.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bred View Post
    I have been using Betamax services for 7 years now and can't complain. For 5 Euro every 2 months you get 300 minutes of free calls every week to their FREE destinations. If you go over your 300-minute limit they will start charging you something between 0.5 or 1 cent a minute.

betamax price comparison

Regarding nettalk box - crap-crap-crap. You can buy a regular Linksys VoIP adapter for less than 40 USD and program it to use with Betamax. Connect the box to the internet LAN, plug in any touch-tone phone and receive & make free calls without computer.

Yes, I have been also using it for business - no problem at all. Very reliable service.
    Excellent link, thank you!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazon.com: Actiontec VoSKY Skype Call Center ( USB07051C-01 ): Electronics

I am going to test this product soon. I didn't like Vongage.
    Big advantage of Skype is that I can use it anytime on my iphone, even over claros 3G network (needs additional software).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bred View Post

betamax price comparison

Thanks.

I'm really only interested in calling in the US. I did a Google search but can't find anything on their website about calling plans. Can you send a link please?

Also, the Linksys VOIP box you bought is a SIP device as far as I understand it. It is basically an instrument that allows one to make voip calls w/o using a computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast