Entrepreneurs object to street vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This recent article appeared in the Sosua News

Sos?a-News

If local restauranteer's feel threatend by the guy who peddles his bicycle with a boiling pot of corn then that's sad!

Some of the street food like the leg "o" pork sandwiches are quite good so why don't the restaurants sell those.

There is one guy that has a tropical fruit salad on wheels and that's the kind of stuff I like to see when I am visiting but more importantley living in the Caribbean!

Last edited:

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
I believe the restaurants and the streets sellers are two different marked.

If I am in the mood to eat outside my apartment, will go to places where it is good food and also with other friends or to places where I can meet others .

The street food is often food I take with me home and eat, like this very fried chicken sold in front of hotel Europa, or a sandwich if I are hungry at night before i go home from a bar or disco If I had not bought street food, would I not go to a restaurant , but instead make some food home.

I see must of the street food hygienic, but I have meet people that has got some kind of food poison from eat from a street vendor.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
if a restaurnat is concerned about a street vendor... then they should take a closer look at thier own business.

1. they are two different markets. if someone is ready to sit down and eat, they are not going to cancel and settle instead for cold bbq chicken or corn on a stick.

2. they should not meet the same requirements as a restaurant, because they are a different type of business. it's not a restaurant on wheels and they are not providing a dining area.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I see must of the street food hygienic, but I have meet people that has got some kind of food poison from eat from a street vendor.

Things cooked in boiling fat are often the culprit because the street vendors reused the fat too often.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Things cooked in boiling fat are often the culprit because the street vendors reused the fat too often.

Darren who owned the now closed Portofino Restaurant in Boca Chica used to sell his used fat to street vendors. :eek::cross-eye

Reactions: Bronxboy

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You guys that live in Sosua and thereabouts know better than me, but from reading the article in the link they are not objecting to the street vendors themselves but to the lack of regulation and the contrast with how easy it is to set up a hot dog stand without having to conform to any hygiene or safety standards while restaurant owners have to jump through hoops for months to set up shop.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You guys that live in Sosua and thereabouts know better than me, but from reading the article in the link they are not objecting to the street vendors themselves but to the lack of regulation and the contrast with how easy it is to set up a hot dog stand without having to conform to any hygiene or safety standards while restaurant owners have to jump through hoops for months to set up shop.
I'd rather starve than eat food from those vendors. At worst I'll have the chicken from a decent cafetaria. Spend a few minutes watching they guy selling his chicken from a barrel and you might regret if not vomit the food you had there is the past. Grabbng his ball and nose picking are not uncommon. Bon Apetit.

Reactions: Celt202

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd rather starve than eat food from those vendors. At worst I'll have the chicken from a decent cafetaria. Spend a few minutes watching they guy selling his chicken from a barrel and you might regret if not vomit the food you had there is the past. Grabbng his ball and nose picking are not uncommon. Bon Apetit.

If I was actually starving, I might eat their food. But have lived here 25 years and yet to eat food sold by a street vendor.

I don't play Russian Roulette either

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com

i've seen that in plenty of kitchens as well. its not exclusive to street vendors.

i've watched well known cooks in well known restaurants in sosua, wipe the sweat off thier dripping faces with thier hands, wipe it onto thier apron, and then proceed to arrange plates of food.

i've watched a cook in sosua, wipe the seat off his forhead, then scratch an itch on his chest (under his shirt) then reach around and scratch his backside (inside his pants) then put his hand to his face, to inspect whatever was left in his fingernail, wipe it off with the other hand, then reach over and grab some food and place it on a plate...

and im not talking about "paid cooks" im talking about chef/owners...

definately not exclusive to street vendors.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com

and they shoudlnt have to jump through the same hoops. and restaurant owners should be aware of that.

no different than here in the states..

its MUCH easier to setup a stand than it is to set up a restaurant.

its much easier to setup a take out joint than a place with a dining area.

the hoops are proportionate to the business.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I don't eat out much.

Since I moved here I've realized that cooking is easy.

Start with water or oil and throw stuff in.

All this talk reminds of the videos of what disgruntled employees do in restaurant kitchens.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i've seen that in plenty of kitchens as well. its not exclusive to street vendors.

i've watched well known cooks in well known restaurants in sosua, wipe the sweat off thier dripping faces with thier hands, wipe it onto thier apron, and then proceed to arrange plates of food.

i've watched a cook in sosua, wipe the seat off his forhead, then scratch an itch on his chest (under his shirt) then reach around and scratch his backside (inside his pants) then put his hand to his face, to inspect whatever was left in his fingernail, wipe it off with the other hand, then reach over and grab some food and place it on a plate...

and im not talking about "paid cooks" im talking about chef/owners...

definately not exclusive to street vendors.

Now that one got to me. How do you clean barf off a keyboard? LOL

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
no different than here in the states..

its MUCH easier to setup a stand than it is to set up a restaurant.

i

Permits to operate street food stands in the States especially NY are very hard to come by. Also, you are subjected to random health inspections and the fines are VERY expensive if rules are violated.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The only problem I would have with these vendors is if they set up shop on the street in front of my business and take up parking spots for my customers.
Worrying about them as competition is ridiculous.

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
I'am tried to find out if restaurants in DR are suject to health inspections---bet nobody will touch that with a 10' pole

Status
Not open for further replies.