SDQ Airport Smoking

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Smokers that use Las Americas Airport may have noticed that within the last year the smoking area in Terminal A of the airport was converted into a news stand. :surprised

I’d just like to share that last week I noticed a new smoking room in Terminal B. You can find it on the left wall between the Iberia Club Room and the Dufry. It also has a very good air conditioner.

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em. :smoke:

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
How things change. I remember on my first trip into SDQ many years ago, the line at the window for Tourist visas in the Reception hall for Migraci?n had about 200 people coming in from France, with the majority smoking after their long flight. (and I met a Rodney Dangerfield look-alike while waiting).

On my way out, the old Immigration Departures hall had a very low ceiling, about 1000 people packed shoulder to shoulder waiting to get stamped, and many in the crowd were smoking. The air was thick and blue.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
How things change. I remember on my first trip into SDQ many years ago, the line at the window for Tourist visas in the Reception hall for Migraci?n had about 200 people coming in from France, with the majority smoking after their long flight................... 1000 people packed shoulder to shoulder waiting to get stamped, and many in the crowd were smoking. The air was thick and blue.

They're all dead now. I have been a smoker for almost 4 decades but I used to get the worst headaches from smoke on planes and those little stinky ashtrays in the armrest. I can just imagine what non smokers went through.

I think it's a good thing that the DR is adapting to international concensus on smoking indoors at public places. It's not like we've got to go out and stand in the snow to smoke there.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The best place to buy smokes and booze is at the very small duty free shop in terminal A. Cartons of smokes and liters of booze are usually $5 less a piece.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
How things change.......... many in the crowd were smoking. The air was thick and blue.

I'm feelin' nostalgic. :cheeky:

I agree Greydread. I like that DR is maturing with smoking policies in general. I do not like that they removed the smoking section entirely from the airport within the last year. I am glad they corrected the situation.

Either way you want to look at it, whether you smoke or not, DR is a tourist destination and some of those tourists are smokers; it only seems logical that the airport would want to accomodate them.

I have a list of airports I avoid because of this, and Heathrow is at the very top of it. :eek:gre:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The best place to buy smokes and booze is at the very small duty free shop in terminal A. Cartons of smokes and liters of booze are usually $5 less a piece.
I need to clarify my own post. The prices for smokes and booze are $5 less than the prices at Duffy Duty Free stores.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
There is a correction to be made.

The smoking section is Terminal A, not Terminal B.

Thanks Bigbird.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Keep smoking.
Smoke yourself as thin as a lath.:bunny:;)

All the bouncing bunnies and winkies will not help me understand your post (and most of your other posts:bunny:), but I think it is anti-tobacco or some kind of public service announcement.

Thanks for sharing. :ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
All the bouncing bunnies and winkies will not help me understand your post (and most of your other posts:bunny:), but I think it is anti-tobacco or some kind of public service announcement.

Thanks for sharing. :ermm:

Odd little troll, aint he?

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Update as of May 1, 2010:

A box of smokes containing 4 cartons is $72 at the small duty free whereas at Dufry the same box is $84. Booze is $5 - $8 less a bottle.

Also in terminal B there is small internet center. I don't know the rental prices but if your flight is delayed it is a good way to pass time and keep in touch.

Ola now has two locations to either rent or buy GPS equipment. There is a booth on the arrival level and the departure level.

Reactions: Tamborista