Lionfish near Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looks like it... found in front of D'Reem Hotel east of Cabarete.
Three in this video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dq8oLZMCDe4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dq8oLZMCDe4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

From Wiki:
250px-Pterois_volitans_Manado-e_edit.jpg

The NOAA encourages everyone (divers and fishers) to be extremely cautious and avoid contact with the venomous spikes of the lionfish. Usually, lionfish are not aggressive toward humans and will almost always keep their distance when given the opportunity, so they pose a relatively low risk. In addition, their stings are not deadly, but they are very painful.

Venom
The lionfish is one of the most venomous fish on the ocean floor. Lionfish have venomous dorsal spines that are used purely for defense. When threatened, the fish often faces its attacker in an upside down posture which brings its spines to bear. However, a lionfish's sting is usually not fatal to humans. If a human is envenomed, that person will experience extreme pain, and possibly headaches, vomiting, and breathing difficulties. A common treatment is soaking the afflicted area in hot water, as very few hospitals carry specific treatments.[8][9][10] However, immediate emergency medical treatment is still advised, as some people are more susceptible to the venom than others.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The kid should sell them. They go for $30-$50 each in pet stores in the US.
They need to be destroyed on site. Lionfish are incredibly invasive with voracious appetites...they eat everything and cause reduction or enitre loss of species on the reefs.

They are in the Bahamas, the Florida Keys and along Florida's east coast...

I've heard they are edible, yet those spines are dangerous, so I'd imagine there's a technique to cleaning them..

Probably a good job for Dominicans who can snorkel and dive...pay them per lionfish that they net and bring in. A quick kill would be to heavily bleach the water in the bucket, then bury the carcasses.

May 29, 2006
Wow, I've been reading up on it. Sounds like they can be really bad news. I'm worried the crown of thorns starfish is going to end up in the Caribbean when some ship discharges bilge water somewhere.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Lots of them on the south coast, I had never seen one until last year now they are all over, they tend to stay in groups of three or four, I've seen nine of them on one dive, smallest 3 -4 inches up to a ft.

Last edited by a moderator:

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Lionfish, tigers, and bears....oh my!!!!!!!!!!!

:chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell the Haitians that people will buy them!!! They'll suck them up...so will local fishermen..God willing it might work.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.