Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
anyone got any or what -?
republique-dominicaine-la-poste-et-la-capitainerie.jpg

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
totally not sure if they are legit or not, but casa marina gift shop sells old postcards and stamps. regardless, they are neat looking! when im back in canada i will try to scan the one i bought.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
anyone got any or what -?

In our lounge we have an old sepia pastel coloured print of Puerto Plata town centre at the turn of the last but one century (early 1900's), showing the Casa de Cultura, Ayuntamiento & Parque Central. BushBaby had it framed & glassed for me as a Christmas present one year - one of the nicest presents I've ever received :). LindseyK & drloca, the sofa you sat on (separately!) was under this print.

It came from a company in the US, I'll ask BushBaby if he still has the information.

Meanwhile, how about a pic of Lindbergh landing in the DR in 1928?
Lindbergh en Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana

In February 1928, Lindbergh carried a small amount of special souvenir mail between Santo Domingo, Port-au-Prince, and Havana, in the Spirit of St. Louis. This was part of a 7,800-mile Good Will Tour of Latin America and the Caribbean between December 13, 1927 and February 8, 1928, during which he flew to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba, spending 125 hours in the air.

Lindbergh's diary appeared in the May 1928 issue of National Geographic
TO BOGOT? AND BACK BY AIR By Charles A. Lindbergh

I know he didn't land on the north coast but he did fly over it!

The pic comes from this website:Old pictures of the Dominican Republic, Montecristi 1906

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry but I can't remember the name of the company I bought those sketches & the reprint from but it WAS off a store showing on eBay. They don't appear to be posting there anymore.

I did a quick search on eBay & came up with these suggestions
Puerto Plata, Travel, Coins Paper Money. Great deals on eBay!
Page two has a couple of pictures of the fort & the beacon!

Hope this helps! ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I love looking at old photographs like these!!! While growing up during my many trips to Sosua it was a rare to see tourists. Whenever we saw a white person with blond hair and blue eyes we would say...mira mira...un gringo lol. My mom has some pics of us in the early 80s in Sosua. I'll see if I can bring my scanner and laptop over her house one of these days.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Change

Atlantico in Charamicos was called Top Memories when the old fotos were up but it's change hands again and no more fotos there. The Jewish Museum has the best old foto collection I've seen of the area. Don't know if it's always displayed, but well worth seeing.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
The Jewish Museum has the best old foto collection I've seen of the area. Don't know if it's always displayed, but well worth seeing.

That's good to know - I'll make a point of stopping by when we are in Sosua. Sadly, my husband has no pictures from his childhood and growing up in the DR because what few his family had were all ruined years ago when the house was flooded. I've never seen a picture of him under the age of about 18.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Advertisement from 1945 issue of Life Magazine (purchased from EBay) showing crocodile hunt at Lago Enriquillo.
a2apev.jpg

& some sketches from April 1873 Harper's New Monthly article that I also purchased off EBay
30uvjsx.jpg

34gagp5.jpg

oejde.jpg

2dlrtqa.jpg

acbf3a.jpg

15s50sy.jpg

21bnhpc.jpg

2417aqo.jpg

2rr76za.jpg

2q16kck.jpg

w0n7uv.jpg

35iohue.jpg

iqk56s.jpg

2uh8y89.jpg

344xg7q.jpg

ajnv3s.jpg

34ew0i9.jpg

And a couple of sketches from Haiti in the same article
24145fn.jpg

1z5uk5u.jpg

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The Jewish Museum has the best old foto collection I've seen of the area. Don't know if it's always displayed, but well worth seeing.

I agree, it is a great collection. From what I understand from having spoken to the lady there when we visited last year, it is a permanent exhibit.
You would be hard pressed in NA to see such an exhibit for the RD$50 entrance fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.