worried

loppbunny

Feb 25, 2010
I have been living on and off with the same Dominican guy for 2 1/2 years. On more than off. He is married to one woman and has three children with her. He has nothing to do with this woman but sees his children often. He also has another child with another woman and he goes to their house every 12-14 days for 5 days and he sees all his children together.

This isn't my problem....what I need to know is...I own a condo and a house in the Dominican and am worried if after a certain length of time he is entitled to any part of my properties.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Do a search...this has been discussed before and my understanding is that common law husbands / wifes have no legal rights to their spouses property. There's a good explanation of the law that Mr. Guzman gave on this board a while back. Now just because he/she has no "legal" rights to the property doesn't mean he couldn't find a way to get possession of it.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have been living on and off with the same Dominican guy for 2 1/2 years. On more than off. He is married to one woman and has three children with her. He has nothing to do with this woman but sees his children often. He also has another child with another woman and he goes to their house every 12-14 days for 5 days and he sees all his children together.

This isn't my problem....what I need to know is...I own a condo and a house in the Dominican and am worried if after a certain length of time he is entitled to any part of my properties.

Why wait a second longer. OFF HIM. Has nothing to do with this woman??? I don't know any Dominican man that's not getting a little from his Ex. I'm getting too p*ssed off to continue. Someboby please talk to this woman.

Reactions: MikeFisher

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I think the condo is the least of your worries. Even your married spouse has no rights to property tht you owned before marriage. All the spouse is entitled to is half of the content of the house plus half of your liquid assets. If you are not married the guy has no claim.
Your biggest problem is contracting a venereal disease. Dominican men generally do not use condoms. Often they claim to be faithful to many women at the same time.
Aids is still rampand.
I know a Canadian teacher who lived with a Dominican man. First he got her pregnant then he gave her a venereal disease. She went home for a cure and the birth of her baby. Then she came back to live with the same man. He bestowed her with another bout of venereal disease. Now she returned to Canada permanently. Would you believe she was an educated women?
My advice is to worry more about your health than your condo

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Ditto Eddy. Except it doesn't **** me off anymore. The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limitations.

Reactions: drloca

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004

are you canadian ?

Reactions: whirleybird

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My advice is to worry more about your health than your condo

I agree but loppbunny posted her query as a legal question, so I think this thread should be moved to the Legal Forum for a definitive answer from Dr. Guzman.

If she wants to put herself at risk of disease or of being used by someone who clearly has other women, she is entitled to make that choice. If all she is worried about is her condo, it doesn't sound like there is much emotional attachment on either side.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

Either your story is complete BS used to generate posts or you have another name on this board. It is impossible that this is your 1st post!

That fact aside, if you have not agreed to an open relationship (where he can screw you ever he wants), I suggest you set up a test for him to see if he is faithful. After results of said test, change your locks!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Either your story is complete BS used to generate posts or you have another name on this board. It is impossible that this is your 1st post!

That fact aside, if you have not agreed to an open relationship (where he can screw you ever he wants), I suggest you set up a test for him to see if he is faithful. After results of said test, change your locks!

The "relationship" could hardly be more open as described. Most guys who live with a woman and go off for 5 days every 2 weeks to hang with their Babymommas could expect to come "home" and find what's left of their stuff out on the lawn or in the dumpster and the locks already changed. Some might make the mistake of sleeping there and wake up hitting all the high notes. The very least I would expect is a pot of steaming grits to the groin fresh out of the shower.

The op has described a very unhealthy relationship and as others have mentioned she has a lot more to worry about that her property. This thread doesn't belong in the Legal section. It belongs in the Clown Bin.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Since the OP appears to be MIA and has maybe figured out her life on her own, we can all save our breath!;)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In some countries and states, a concubine (party in an unmarried couple) may over time acquire some rights over property or assumed (shared) income.
The OP's question, while marred by other considerations many seem to have addressed extensively, is thus legitimate.

I am not a lawyer and I think the most appropriate person to answer to the OP's worries would be F. Guzman. However, I seem to remember that the question has popped up in the past and that the the answer was that a concubine does NOT acquire rights over property over time. On the other hand, it would seem that in recent times, my memory has somewhat failed me when it came to remember "consensus opinions". So OP, until you get legal advise, try to play around with the SEARCH feature of this forum.

I would also think, that the OP, being a home owner and apparently living here and having a "relationship" with a local, would be well advised to retain an ongoing relationship (professional) with a legal counsel. Your lawyer would be best suited as to recommend you how to keep your assets clearly separated and protected from your "romantic partner".

However, the OP should also keep in mind that locals have a very ego centric interpretation of laws and justice. When things go bad, they will always be quick to suggest themselves to the point of total conviction, that they are OWED at least part of what the "other" party has, had or shared. This conception can lead to reactions which can be way beyond just legal actions (arguments, rage, threats and even... their fulfillment!!).
If you put something (like a vehicle) to your "partner's" name, even if it's just on their recommendation so to make things "easier" and limit "paper work" or legal procedures, IT will be almost impossible to claim those assets back!
Besides the sentimental and health considerations already brought up by other posters, I think that your physical security is something you should always keep in mind first.

... J-D.