US check

theshaolinclaw

Mar 20, 2010
Does anyone know where or how can i change a 3000$ US check my college refund me from the US. I have my passport only. I been living here for 8 months none, but for me to go cash it in the US I have to buy a two way ticket back to the states if I want to come back, so in total thats 3 tickets. What a waste of money. Thank you for your time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Open a bank account and deposit it in there - as soon as it clears you can withdraw the money. We've done that in the past.

AE

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Careful - it can take up to 3 months to clear (45 working days - Banco de Reservas; about 30 working days - Banco Le?n). I have no experience with changing such a large check at a cambio but if you can it's the best option.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Careful - it can take up to 3 months to clear (45 working days - Banco de Reservas; about 30 working days - Banco Le?n). I have no experience with changing such a large check at a cambio but if you can it's the best option.

We did ours through BHD - an existing account that we have. We needed that exact amount - $3000 - to finish a block wall. It took a couple of weeks to clear. Of course, that's never written in stone, you never know how long it might take. But unless the OP needs the money immediately, it's a better option than flying to the US and paying for all that airfare.

AE

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
OK ok ok...lets find out something first Jackson. Do you have an account with a bank in the United States? If you do! Then here is what you do.

A. It is not worthy to buy a round trip to go there and deposit it.
B. YOU find a FedEx office in Santo Domingo or Santiago(I hope you live here or there).
C. Put the check in the envelope. Address the envelope to your bank.
D. Mail it to your bank in the US. If you dont know the address, go online and look up whatever branch address wherever you want to.
E. Send it next day delivery or regular, who cares...it will get there in a day or 2 or 3 and thats that. Its like maybe $30-40. For a $3000 check thats sweet(and secure).

Now...if you dont not have a bank account with a bank in the US. I ask you do you have a US SS#? I hope so...well, you must because if you got a tuition refund they would have had to have a number to assign to you.
If you do...go to Allybank.com or ING.com o Greentree.com or TDonline.com, whoever and open up an bank account online. They will give you the information you ll need to establish the account, your account number and the address to send the money.

Now go back to the lettered section I wrote here and do that. You are using your tuition refund check to open the account. Now they are not going to send you a debit card or anything outside of the country. So if you got family there they will get the debit card but its useless until you activate it so dont worry. And set yourself up online statements in case your family is like "that".

BTW, how does a round trip = 3 tickets?

Last edited:

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
OK ok ok...lets find out something first Jackson. Do you have an account with a bank in the United States? If you do! Then here is what you do.

A. It is not worthy to buy a round trip to go there and deposit it.
B. YOU find a FedEx office in Santo Domingo or Santiago(I hope you live here or there).
C. Put the check in the envelope. Address the envelope to your bank.
D. Mail it to your bank in the US. If you dont know the address, go online and look up whatever branch address wherever you want to.
E. Send it next day delivery or regular, who cares...it will get there in a day or 2 or 3 and thats that. Its like maybe $30-40. For a $3000 check thats sweet(and secure).

Now...if you dont not have a bank account with a bank in the US. I ask you do you have a US SS#? I hope so...well, you must because if you got a tuition refund they would have had to have a number to assign to you.
If you do...go to Allybank.com or ING.com o Greentree.com or TDonline.com, whoever and open up an bank account online. They will give you the information you ll need to establish the account, your account number and the address to send the money.

Now go back to the lettered section I wrote here and do that. You are using your tuition refund check to open the account. Now they are not going to send you a debit card or anything outside of the country. So if you got family there they will get the debit card but its useless until you activate it so dont worry. And set yourself up online statements in case your family is like "that".

Racerx, I love you and all that but, this post is (don't ask me why) a recipe for disaster.

?

? bient?t

BTW, how does a round trip = 3 tickets?

Had to buy a round-trip ticket originally, and still has the one to go back. If going back to the DR, have to buy a round-trip ticket. That's 3 tickets.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Racerx, I love you and all that but, this post is (don't ask me why) a recipe for disaster.

How is it a disaster? He already has the check. It is addressed to him to be deposited. Sign the check, put a deposit slip in the envelope and Mail the check to the bank. FedEx or UPS, whatever. Its in a large envelope there is no customs nor duty.
If it gets any harder than this there better be a nuclear weapon somewhere.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
How is it a disaster? He already has the check. It is addressed to him to be deposited. Sign the check, put a deposit slip in the envelope and Mail the check to the bank. FedEx or UPS, whatever. Its in a large envelope there is no customs nor duty.
If it gets any harder than this there better be a nuclear weapon somewhere.
Prior to one's signature, write "For Deposit Only" and add the account number.

It is my understanding that this is more secure as the check then can only be deposited and not cashed by anyone, such as a third party.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Try using a Casa de Cambio to cash the check. Normally they will charge you 1 to 2 % or nothing, if you want to take the money in pesos instead of dollars

theshaolinclaw

Mar 20, 2010
Thanks

I call casa de cambios and banks, and the say one thing on the phone giving hope and than another in person. I am starting to think its becasue my last name which is Figueroa. People are scared to death of Jose Figueroa Agosto. I never even step foot in PR and my first time here was exactly a year ago. But thanks for you guys info, I am still trying.