Chinese restaurant?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I would appreciate any recommendations for a good Chinese restaurant in Santo Domingo. There are many around town but I want the real Chinese flavor?not the Dominican version. I have a major craving! :ermm:

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
Finally, a chance to answer a question (badly)

If you walk up Duarte, somewhere just north of Mella and close to the Barrio Chino arches, there's a couple places on different sides of the same intersection.

One of them has "sushi" in the name and appears to be a pricier pan-Asian kinda joint. I haven't been there so this isn't what I'm recommending (and I'm aware that sushi isn't Chinese) - it's just the one I remember how to describe.

Now, at the same intersection but across the street, there's a Chinese joint that's legit (except for the fact there are no chopsticks in the house). Really tasty and you can get lunch for about 250 a person.

MSG as f&*k though, but I guess everything here is.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cristals on R.Pastorini (not sure of spelling) between Lincoln and Churchill.

Real Chinese, run by real Chinese, with a lot of real Chinese eating there. AC, bar, etc. For me this one is the best in SD.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Cristals on R.Pastorini (not sure of spelling) between Lincoln and Churchill.

Real Chinese, run by real Chinese, with a lot of real Chinese eating there. AC, bar, etc. For me this one is the best in SD.

I second this vote but the name is Bella Cristal on Roberto Pastoriza btw. Churchill and Manuel de Jesus Troncoso. You feel like you're eating in a dining hall and they have no delivery which is mind boggling to me but the food is solid.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

If you walk up Duarte, somewhere just north of Mella and close to the Barrio Chino arches, there's a couple places on different sides of the same intersection.

One of them has "sushi" in the name and appears to be a pricier pan-Asian kinda joint. I haven't been there so this isn't what I'm recommending (and I'm aware that sushi isn't Chinese) - it's just the one I remember how to describe.

Now, at the same intersection but across the street, there's a Chinese joint that's legit (except for the fact there are no chopsticks in the house). Really tasty and you can get lunch for about 250 a person.

It upstairs west side of duarte called the dragon. really good and chinese half a block down from mexico.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Dragon House in Gustavo Mejia Ricart. Medium Level Restaurant with really low level prices. Pretty good food there.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
So we went to try out Bella Cristals last night. Sorry to say but I was a bit desapointed, didn't find the food all that great. We ordered eggrolls, Ja Cao, fried wonton, chow fan and Chow Mein. The search continues for a good Chinese resto....

Juanitita going at it with the sticks
2zsmyog.jpg

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

there are 3 or 4 good chinese restaurants on the street,coming down duarte from mexico,the first intersection,they are on the left,which is one one,so you either park on duarte and walk there or go to Mella,go left,and left and left again...there is vale parking there also...the restaurant on the right,when you make your 3rd left,is my favorite...nice atmosphere and many items to choose f4rom...very clean and service is great....
I have to find the name of that street.....I am terrible on street names,even though I walk up that way almost every day....
bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
let me see if I can find a real chinese restaurant where they serve real vira lata meat dishes.
AZB

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
E

engineerfg

Not to spin this question, but does anyone know of a Chinese restaraunt that serves more than just just gwai-low Chinese food? And smiliarly, is there one that does a good Dim Sum menu?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Not to spin this question, but does anyone know of a Chinese restaraunt that serves more than just just gwai-low Chinese food? And smiliarly, is there one that does a good Dim Sum menu?

Just great! Now you're gonna have me craving some Dim Sum :ermm:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hint: if the menu has chuleta de perro then its an authentic Chinese restaurant.
AZB

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I already told her where to go, Chinese de Mariscos on Sarasota... or Romulo Betancourt. I don't remember which now...

Also, the chinese restaurant right in front of the Pricesmart entrance on Charles Sumner is supposed to be really good.

In my neverending quest to find a decent chinese restaurant in S.D., I tried Chinese de Mariscos on Sarasota a few years ago and had one of the worst meals ive ever had in this country.

Also, unless im confused, the restaurant right in front of Pricesmart is a seafood restaurant (one of the best restaurants in S.D. btw).

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
The Chinese restaurants locate in China town in Benito Gonzalez between duart and jose marti. the small street fill with chinese restaurants and store. you have to ask chinese menu otherwise you will be supplied with fried rice kind of dominican menu. you can buy cheapest beer in whole island in the store.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Chino de Mariscos

Chino de Mariscos on Sarasota is a complete fiasco. I was there yesterday, it's terrible. The place is dismal, the service is so bad you think you're in hidden camera show and the food is horrible.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Chino de Mariscos on Sarasota is a complete fiasco. I was there yesterday, it's terrible. The place is dismal, the service is so bad you think you're in hidden camera show and the food is horrible.

and has always been. Ate there years ago never went back.
chuleta de perro, is korean, sopa del gato es chino jaja