when it rains, it floods (picture)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Rain that fell yesterday. I could not get home the proper way. Gustavo mejia ricart with Dr. Defillo was flooded.

21nmwer.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That's part of the "NEW Tourist 5 Year Plan"

If you can't come to the beach,
................. we will bring it to you!

The governments response to those that oppose "Privatization of the Beaches".

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is a shame that drainage engineering here is so far behind the times. If it isn't that it isn't the ayuntamientos inability to make needed upgrades to the drainage system or even the required maintenance to keep them functioning. Then again I was just told by an engineer here that nobody maintains the bridges so maybe that's understandable.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
L92

Rain that fell yesterday.

I am afraid there'll be much more of that this weekend when Invest 92 moves over the country.
We shall see how much to the south this system continues, but according to the computer model forecasts we shall get hit at least in some parts.

donP

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It is a shame that drainage engineering here is so far behind the times. If it isn't that it isn't the ayuntamientos inability to make needed upgrades to the drainage system or even the required maintenance to keep them functioning. Then again I was just told by an engineer here that nobody maintains the bridges so maybe that's understandable.
Try living across the river from downtown Santiago and make that statement.
They are always working on the main bridge in Santiago.
The one you cross to get to the golf course out my way Chip.

I might comment on the following part of your statement if I could understood what you said.
If it isn't that it isn't .....................
My mind is still going in a circle! ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR[/QUOTE]

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Try living across the river from downtown Santiago and make that statement.
They are always working on the main bridge in Santiago.
The one you cross to get to the golf course out my way Chip.

Hey I'm just repeating what Ing Edmundo Diaz of Mera, Mu?oz and Fondeur told me. He should know as they are the largest eng firm in Santiago and have built many of the bridges here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hey I'm just repeating what Ing Edmundo Diaz of Mera, Mu?oz and Fondeur told me. He should know as they are the largest eng firm in Santiago and have built many of the bridges here.
Just goes to show, don't believe everything you hear!

Just because they don't have a contract to maintain it, doesn't mean someone else doesn't.

Just the previous week had to dodge the sandblasting.
I just hate it when that crap gets in the air filter of my car.

As far as the flooding, never take Circuvalacion (sp) along the river in Santiago in a heavy rain, it's as bad or worse than the picture AZB posted.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just goes to show, don't believe everything you hear!

Rather, more than likely the maintenance plan they use here is when it appears there is a problem they will address it.

It's relatively easy to notice when a steel bridge needs to be painted. Hopefully they are are inspecting the concrete ones for cracks.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I want to say that in part is our fault also, we are so dirty and the most of the dominicans though up the garvage in streets, and drainage get stock and water can not run.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i see a little yellow arrow on a red sign, this must be a McDonalds entrance, i say this is all caused by McD's not cleaning out the grease trap, even if they have such a thing and who knows if anyone knows what it is for. McD's dumps more oil than BP anyday......

May 29, 2006
I've seen flooding like this at times in the DR and I don't think it's considered a major problem, at least when it's under 5 inches. They have only so much they spend on infrastructure and keeping the culverts clean of sticks leaves and trash is probably not high on their priority list. Funny how trying to save some money can lead to bigger problems (not that I'm referring to BP in any way :cheeky:)

Civil Engineering/infrastructure is one of the first things cut when governments want to trim a budget, esp when it comes to preventative maintenance. It's also often easier to get funding to build a whole new bridge than spend the money to prevent it from falling apart. Politicians do not elected by preventing potholes, but by letting them get bad first and then fixing them. When everything works, budget cuts follow.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Ok JD i will touch on it!!

Could it be possible that Dominicans who feel the need to throw garbage on the streets, which when a downpour occurs, this same garbage could possibly block some the drainage system. Should the government really be responsible for cleaning the litter maliciously thrown on the streets, or maybe fine the perpetrators similar to developed countries.

Funny when I show my GF pics of my hometown in Canada, her first response is how beautiful and clean the streets are-no garbage. I ask her why she think its different than here. "your government has more money to pickup the garbage". Sadly the truth is, its illegal to litter and we seem to have more respect for our surroundings.
these pics above are far from the tropical paradise of the DR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok JD i will touch on it!!

Could it be possible that Dominicans who feel the need to throw garbage on the streets, which when a downpour occurs, this same garbage could possibly block some the drainage system. Should the government really be responsible for cleaning the litter maliciously thrown on the streets, or maybe fine the perpetrators similar to developed countries.

Funny when I show my GF pics of my hometown in Canada, her first response is how beautiful and clean the streets are-no garbage. I ask her why she think its different than here. "your government has more money to pickup the garbage". Sadly the truth is, its illegal to litter and we seem to have more respect for our surroundings.
these pics above are far from the tropical paradise of the DR
Hey, wait a minute. This is not garbage dumped on the street, its the garbage collected from all over the barrio and has been concentrated here (the low lands) after the flood has been subsided. The garbage bags have been taken away by the water currents and have been collected in this area. Folks, there is always a river flowing there when it rains hard. This street is not really littered like this all the time.
AZB

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I can just hear the people who have come to this site for the first time and are thinking of either a vacation or relocating.........."Honey can you come here for a minute"..........."I think you might wanna see these photos"..........Talk about the real deal.......pretty hard to sugarcoat those pics.......................

Watnow78

Jun 2, 2010
Wow!!!

Damn!!! i will be in SD mid July and i was wondering where about is this mess to Ave. Independencia (Riazor)? I don't think i will be affected but im just curious know this location.

Thanks

Watnow78

Jun 2, 2010
Weather..

Also Does anyone have any insight on the hurricane season right now in the Caribbean? Should i be worried about the weather being very bad in mid July?