What are these tiny red bugs that that are so painful

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
With all the rain we've been having in Santiago lately I started to get a leak from the roof. I went up on the roof a few minutes ago to patch it up and I started getting these really nasty bites all over my feet and legs, but I couldn't see a thing. After getting down on all 4's and taking a really close look, I saw thousands of these almost microscopic red bugs scurrying around. What are they and how do you get rid of them? I couldn't believe something so small could bite so ferociously. They must be coming into the house because I'm always getting bit inside the house and I could never see a thing.
My neighbor says he thinks they are ants, but they are so tiny.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sounds like red ants...and they do have a ferocious bite for little critters!

I got off the roof immediately and wiped my legs and feet down with alcohol
and I now have some large very irritating bites.
I'm getting ready to pump spray the entire roof and outer walls with a strong ant and roach killing chemical.
It's amazing how such a tiny critter can bite like a fly.
I never knew an ant could be so tiny, almost invisible.

May 29, 2006
Sounds like pharaoh ants, which are locally called "pica." They are very tiny(2mm) and they swarm. Sometimes they will come into houses after rains when their nests are flooded. When you step on one, it releases a scent that tells the others to attack and suddenly you are running the shower to wash them off.

DON'T USE INSECT KILLER. The ants will simply scatter and then you will have 20 colonies instead of one.

The only way to be rid of them is to keep your house immaculate, esp of anything with grease or meat in it. There is an even smaller non-biting ant that is attracted to sweet foods and you might find them in an unfinished glass of orange juice if you leave it out overnight. They look like someone sprinkled fine pepper into the glass. Some ants are also attracted to electronics and they can short out computers and other devices. I've had them infest VHS tapes and ruin them.

I heard a story once that a whole town in the DR was abandoned because of these ants, but I don't know how long ago it was or where in the country it happened.

So go out and get some Fabulosa and swab the decks. About a cup to a gallon is enough to get rid of any scent that will attract them. Be sure to get your porch as well and also wash out any garbage cans you might have.

Pharaoh ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
red_bugs.jpg
ive got an infestation of these at the moment but I call them weevils

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What I am talking about is smaller than a pinhead. They are so small that you cannot make out a head or legs, just a dot running around. Unless you look from a distance of not more than 6 inches you will not see them and they are BRIGHT red in color.
I mean smalllllll..............

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Bites like that but not near as severe...thank god
They move around erratically like a spider changing direction unlike an ant.