Adult english school/s in Puerto Plata??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Just wondering if anyone knows the name/s of the school/s in Puerto Plata that teach English to adults? Also, the cost of the courses? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Ok so I am just going to ask straight out...I have a friend who is Domincan, in Sosua, who says he is going to the Tropico Ingles (English) School and it costs him 3000 pesos for one month, three days a week with books and dictionary included. Does this seem right?? I feel like that is a lot of money.
Any insight here....
Thanks

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Ok so I am just going to ask straight out...I have a friend who is Domincan, in Sosua, who says he is going to the Tropico Ingles (English) School and it costs him 3000 pesos for one month, three days a week with books and dictionary included. Does this seem right?? I feel like that is a lot of money.
Any insight here....
Thanks

I have never heard of this school but that fee sounds impossible. I have a friend from Spain who was on a work contract in POP and she studied German at "Success Institute" on Manolo Tavares. If I recall, each class was around RD$150 and included books and that was just last year. They also offer English at this school.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Any insight here....
Thanks

That seems unusually high. The guy on the delicatessen counter at Tropical Supermarket in Puerto Plata attends a school in PP for English classes; he is married with two children & earns around 7000 pesos a month so I doubt if he spends 3000 a month on classes, but I'll ask next time I see him.

Out of interest where is this school? I haven't heard of it. Can you get a street location? ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I spoke to the guy on the deli counter this morning. He has never heard of Tropico Ingles either, btw. He goes to a school on Duarte, (not Renovacion) his is just past the Amber Museum, Duarte & Villanueva & its called Prominem, on the first floor above a shop.

He does one hour a day for 3 days of each week plus 4 hours each on a Saturday & Sunday. Cost is RD$300 a month and inscription was free. That seemed incredibly low to me, so I double checked (& in both languages ;) ) and he confirmed it was correct.

My guess is any school charging waaay above the odds would quickly go out of business because it would have no students. Like I said, Jessiejayne, get a street location and if it is somewhere convenient on my travels, I'll pop in and ask them what they charge. Then you'll have it from the horse's mouth so to speak :cheeky:.

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Hey Lambada, thanks for you all your help! You're amazing!
I am still waiting for a reply back about the address of the school. Maybe it's not in Puerto Plata at all and I am mixed up but if I find out, I will let you know.
I am just trying to understand why he would go to an expensive school that he cannot afford when there are clearly other options?!
So either he's crazy or lying about it for some strange reason...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If it's not in Puerto Plata then you'll need to ask another helpful soul on here, but there are plenty so someone is sure to volunteer.

Ah, well if you know he can't afford the school then this could be the beginning of a pitch to get your assistance. Such a worthwhile cause, you know, learning English................;) you surely would want to help out with tuition bills, etc etc etc. You've seen the Mars & Venus forum, yes?

Let us first establish whether the school exists, then where it is, then if PP somewhere central I will make enquiries. If you PM me his full name I'll also find out if he is enrolled as a student there. Just because a school exists, (if it exists), doesn't mean someone is attending.

And if anything I find out doesn't stack up with what he has told you, drop him. Maybe after you have played a little game of your own...........:cheeky:

There are, after all, plenty of others out there.

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Oh yes have have seen the Mars and Venus forums :ermm:...don't worry, that's why I am asking these questions and I love that you are willing to help investigate for/with me. Maybe you can get yourself a new job as a PI?? ;)

I started a new thread to find out if anyone has heard of this school so hopefully I hear back and can go from there!

I'll keep ya posted! Thanks! :bunny:

Jessiejayne

May 17, 2010
Hello Lambada,
I asked about a street address and all he said was that the school is a private school called Tropico English, "en el silensio", in Puerto Plata.
He's not actually enrolled there anymore because of the cost, and is finding a different school in Charamicos....:paranoid:
The thing is, he is well aware that I will not send money, EVER, nor do I have it to send so I don't see why he would lie about it...confused! :ermm:

Either way, thanks to all for the help and insight!:bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
who says he is going to the Tropico Ingles (English) School and it costs him 3000 pesos for one month

He's not actually enrolled there anymore because of the cost, and is finding a different school in Charamicos....:paranoid:

H'mmmm. Wonderfully flexible, some young Dominican men. Clearly a rapid response on his part to his economic situation :laugh::laugh: in less then 2 days.........

OK you won round one. Question you have to ask yourself is, do you want life in an emotional boxing ring......

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.