Obtaining Residency in the DR

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have decided to become " Legal " and start the residency process and was wondering if you still have to do this in Santo Domingo or have they they opened offices in Santiago or POP yet?

I know all the rest of what's required from the many threads on this topic but wanted to avoid a trip to the big city if possible.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have decided to become " Legal " and start the residency process and was wondering if you still have to do this in Santo Domingo or have they they opened offices in Santiago or POP yet?

You will have to go to SD. There is an office in Santiago where you can get your residency renewed when their camera is working, but it is out of service and may stay that way for quite awhile. But even if it is working, I don't think the Santiago office could prevent you from going to SD.

My recommendation is to get an attorney to help you. He/she can expedite the process of you get one that is reliable. I used Guzman's office and had no trouble. I'm sure other posters can also make recommendations.

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You will have to go to SD. There is an office in Santiago where you can get your residency renewed when their camera is working, but it is out of service and may stay that way for quite awhile. But even if it is working, I don't think the Santiago office could prevent you from going to SD.

My recommendation is to get an attorney to help you. He/she can expedite the process of you get one that is reliable. I used Guzman's office and had no trouble. I'm sure other posters can also make recommendations.

Thanks Ken,

I will definately do that when I come back to the DR.

I am going to the Bahamas next and may just move there as the boating and fishing are better.

Reactions: Tamborista

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very easy to get residency in the Bahamas if you buy property and promise not to work.

Otherwise its off to SD.... don't forget long pants, and women need closed toed shoes.

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Serious....... my lawyer made me change.

One of the departments doesn't permit shorts.... the other does.
All quite logical , really.... DR style.

WW

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Government buildings here have a fairly strict dress code. Ladies can't have bare shoulders etc!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Government buildings here have a fairly strict dress code. Ladies can't have bare shoulders etc!

Or open toed shoes....

There is a chart in the courthouse at Nagua that sets out all the rules..... simple really.
I have never seen posted rules in SD
It seems silly but imagine what could happen if the authorities took it the wrong way ? Goodbye paperwork.

WW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It isn't just here. In Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela, there is a public park with a statue of Bolivar in it. Police are stationed in the park to be sure women in shorts don't get near the statue and that anyone wearing a hat takes it off.

The insistence is on showing proper respect.

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
My wife wore a sun dress and sandals when we received our Permanent Residecia 5 months ago. Paid a friend 500 Pesos to meet us and the extra for Preferred treatment and were done with everything in 1 hr. and 45 min. No problem with the open toed shoes. I wore shorts when I went through the final screening (blood,exrays etc) 8 before we moved here permanently and traveled to Santo Domingo to receive our Permanent cards.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not a problem at Migraci?n - last time I renewed my residencia I played it safe and wore a blouse with sleeves, long trousers and my usual sandals, but some people there were dressed much more casually and no-one said anything.

The only place I've come up against the dress code is at the JCE in La Feria - I wasn't allowed in wearing a sleeveless linen blouse but the women in skin-tight lycra with half their boobs spilling out were fine - their tops had sleeves, I suppose. I don't recall the JCE at Plaza de la Bandera - where cedulas were issued - having any dress restrictions.

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Hi just wondering

Hi everyone, hope things are good in DR,. here in canada it's at least sunny and no rain, a change,..since the summer has been so rainy lately.
Quick question,how much is the total cost for one or two people, using a lawyer and how long is the visa good for. Thank for your reply
;)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi everyone, hope things are good in DR,. here in canada it's at least sunny and no rain, a change,..since the summer has been so rainy lately.
Quick question,how much is the total cost for one or two people, using a lawyer and how long is the visa good for. Thank for your reply
;)

For permanennt residency with a lawyer it's about $1000.00 U.S per person for the first year and then the same for the second year then i don't know what happens after that so figure $4k for 2 for residency

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I contacted the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa last week. They told for residency - Canadian birth Certificate - long form, and Police report ( from your local police) - bring or send to Ottawa - they translate and stamp with all the correct stamps/seals...etc. $140 per document - the rest is done in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I contacted the Dominican Embassy in Ottawa last week. They told for residency - Canadian birth Certificate - long form, and Police report ( from your local police) - bring or send to Ottawa - they translate and stamp with all the correct stamps/seals...etc. $140 per document - the rest is done in the DR.

Don't waste your time with the Embassy there, do it in the DR. You will get nowhere fast outside of the country with this.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I was wondering about bringing the birth certificate without sending it to the consulate in Canada. I don't want to get charged more times than necessary.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Can a USA citizen get the police report "legalized" here in the DR? Got the birth certificate done at consulate in USA but it took a long time; didn't know about the police report.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
you need at least to bring your birthcertificate and the police report from the outside.
your lawyer in the DR can get them legalized down here on the Isle.
Mike

I don't understand this, having a temporary and picking up my approved permanent in a few days, I, using 2 different attorneys, was never asked for a police report from my country of origin or a birth certificate. Did I just slide through the cracks twice or was there a major screw up 2 times here in the processing?