Answer to Electricity Problems?

sandongero

Dec 22, 2009
Haven't read about this on dr1. In Florida, a sugar mill factory is powering their business and 60,000 homes with electricity generated by burning bagasse (fiber left over after the sugar is extracted from sugar cane.) Apparently it is cleaner than fossil fuels.

Anyone heard of this?

Sugar Can Make Electricity? | Care2 Healthy & Green Living

Lindsey

I have seen eco farms in Brazil where they literally reuse all waste, including the sugar cane residue. It is more than just cacha?a they make out of sugar cain there, they even make (bio)fuel for their cars out of it. In the DR it is used as cattle food or just burnt on the land as a fertilizer. In general, the process for making electricity out of it on a large scale is not cost effective, though this is a great example of how it can be done.

image_782.jpg

wind farms are the answer, we have now more than 300 running and more being built

Reactions: mike l

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think we forget the energy problems are part of the DR fabric for a reason. There are always countless choices, solutions, and opportunities to initiate improvements.
Does it happen?NO, and why doesnt it? Maybe the powers that be prefer no solution. Why??? maybe because of the amount of industry and there connected owners that profit from this deficiency.
Also keeping the people suppressed and in the dark as much as possible seems to be the only gameplan that makes any sense. Malls, metros, yada yada are just window dressing while trying to solicit tourism and foreign investment-while the residents suffer without a voice.
Excuse me while i get a flashlight so i can do a spellcheck since i currently have no power in the challenged barrio of Bella Vista. So much for paying higher rent to be in an area that has 24/7 or close to it power. This is the most expensive camping trip imaginable.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I think we forget the energy problems are part of the DR fabric for a reason. There are always countless choices, solutions, and opportunities to initiate improvements.
Does it happen?NO, and why doesnt it? Maybe the powers that be prefer no solution. Why??? maybe because of the amount of industry and there connected owners that profit from this deficiency.
Also keeping the people suppressed and in the dark as much as possible seems to be the only gameplan that makes any sense. Malls, metros, yada yada are just window dressing while trying to solicit tourism and foreign investment-while the residents suffer without a voice.
Excuse me while i get a flashlight so i can do a spellcheck since i currently have no power in the challenged barrio of Bella Vista. So much for paying higher rent to be in an area that has 24/7 or close to it power. This is the most expensive camping trip imaginable.

I like conspiracy theories but I don't buy into that one.

I remember hearing that the power companies are owed lots and lots of money by thee government. Which the government does not pay. Seems like the most reasonable explication to me, you know Ockham's Razor - Simplest reason is true.

OP: This COULD work here. Driving through POP at times throughout the year you can see huge fires and pillars of black smoke, sugar burning.

It's a sweet idea.

Couldn't help myself.

Reactions: mike l

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Anyone heard of this?

Not only heard of it, know of alot of power plants being built and operated based on consuming bagasse, including those in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Nicaragua and Uruguay. The IDB even created a special lending facility for such projects.

Brazil is taking it further still, making, among other things, ethanol from bagasse, packaging from bagasse, all while researching possible production of "green" plastics using chemicals derived from bagasse.

Could it be done here? Yeah, sure. In some cases, the Brazilians would even be willing to help and provide the tech. But will it be done here? Probably not anytime soon. :ermm:

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
These kites are ment to be up about 10 kilometers where there is a lot more wind. Problem is that you should have no fly zones for that. Cabarete will not be possible due to POP, but it's an interesting idea. Other ideas are the windbelt, but again you depend on wind over longer periods. I'm in NL at the moment and the amount of windmills that are idle is terrible. a few Big storms as well last few days and then they are stopped as well. You don't want to know what happens if the brakes on those windmills fail. Kites on high altitude don't have the problem of failing winds and DR is close to the subtropical jetstream. See bottom of this page: Untitled
Still, you need a no-fly zone.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
These kites are ment to be up about 10 kilometers where there is a lot more wind. Problem is that you should have no fly zones for that. Cabarete will not be possible due to POP, but it's an interesting idea. Other ideas are the windbelt, but again you depend on wind over longer periods. I'm in NL at the moment and the amount of windmills that are idle is terrible. a few Big storms as well last few days and then they are stopped as well. You don't want to know what happens if the brakes on those windmills fail. Kites on high altitude don't have the problem of failing winds and DR is close to the subtropical jetstream. See bottom of this page: Untitled
Still, you need a no-fly zone.

But what about all the small Cessna drug planes?

Who would tell them that there are giant kites now flying all over in 'random' spots of the country. It might start raining coke all over!

Somehow this idea of kites reminds me of barrage balloons used during WWII (plane catchers).

barrage.jpg

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
But what about all the small Cessna drug planes?

Who would tell them that there are giant kites now flying all over in 'random' spots of the country. It might start raining coke all over!

Ai, that would drive the prices of coke down. Can't have that happening ;)
And there would still be blackouts if those planes crash into the wires.
Silly me.

So back to burning the bagasse. Flipside of it would be that another source is needed for styrofoam. See, every idea has a disadvantage. ;)

Nov 25, 2008
Unfortunately you don't get the point... the problem is not wither the DR came find another type of cheaper energy; as long as their are crooks in the electric company, this is an ongoing problem for some and money making for others.

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com