Luxury Cars in the Dominican Republic?

Radiomaster101

May 25, 2010
I wanted to know how a business of Luxury Car Rental or Buy business would do in the Dominican Republic if it would receive customers from the upper class, tourists, government officials, etc. I would like to get some advice or hints that regard that type of business. And i'm talking about cars that havent entered the country as a market. Thank you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You may want to do a little research on the condition of the roads in this country first, then conduct your feasibility study.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in Santo Domingo.

We have a bunch of luxury car dealers. You will see more Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, BMW's, Mercs than you can poke a stick at. We have an official factory backed Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Porsche, Range Rover, Merc and BMW dealerships.

Unless you have exclusive dealer rights, you're going to be competing with the money launderers and their 2nd tier car lots. This tier is very hard to break into unless you are VERY well connected. Many will import cars by buying politicians and government official tax exonerations on imported vehicles.

As for the luxury car rental business... You're better sending an email to Tom at "Prestige Car Rentals" that does some business in this sector (see banner).

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there is one very silly stretch limo in sosua - no idea if it ever goes anywhere, I would imagine people would laugh at it more than it impressing anyone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in Santo Domingo.

We have a bunch of luxury car dealers. You will see more Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, BMW's, Mercs than you can poke a stick at. We have an official factory backed Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Porsche, Range Rover, Merc and BMW dealerships.

Unless you have exclusive dealer rights, you're going to be competing with the money launderers and their 2nd tier car lots. This tier is very hard to break into unless you are VERY well connected. Many will import cars by buying politicians and government official tax exonerations on imported vehicles.

As for the luxury car rental business... You're better sending an email to Tom at "Prestige Car Rentals" that does some business in this sector (see banner).

Please don't forget the Maserati franchise... SD and Satniago, I believe.

I have seen a Maserati at Porterhouse ( ?? I think thats the name) in SD

Cant figure it out..... those cars in RD ????????

Why bother... unless you run the new Samana road all day.

Of course, BabyDoc - our favorite Haitian- had a Ferrari.
He built a special highway for hisself to drive on...

Life in the fast lane..... hahaha

WW

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I have visited few of our clients - car dealers here in Santiago - and one of them has 2 Ferraris, MB SLR, several other Brabus and AMG, Porsche GT and Carreras, one of the other has a Bentley, and an older Ferrari and many newer Porsches.
They where complaining that the business is slow, and how the government makes it even worst by raising the import taxes. Right now there are 5000 imported cars sitting in POP, Haina and Boca Chica and the dealers are refusing to pick them up, blocking exits of the ports, this is how they try to put pressure on them to lower the taxes.
Car sales are not an easy game here. Also, I think there is the highest amount of luxury cars per square meter here - after Dubai. I don't really understand how, even money laundering has it's limits...... or not?

The Hun

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
On the other hand, whenever I have gone to Autozama (the Mercedes Benz dealer in Sto Dgo), their shop's lot is stuffed full of late model Benzs waiting for service and repairs. It is very common to have your car sitting there for two weeks before you get your car back.

Who really wants to drive around Santo Domingo in a Hyundai while your S500 is sitting at AutoZama waiting for a repair? It might work, especially if you can get their insurance to kick in something for the rental replacement.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have visited few of our clients - car dealers here in Santiago - and one of them has 2 Ferraris, MB SLR, several other Brabus and AMG, Porsche GT and Carreras, one of the other has a Bentley, and an older Ferrari and many newer Porsches.
They where complaining that the business is slow, and how the government makes it even worst by raising the import taxes. Right now there are 5000 imported cars sitting in POP, Haina and Boca Chica and the dealers are refusing to pick them up, blocking exits of the ports, this is how they try to put pressure on them to lower the taxes.
Car sales are not an easy game here. Also, I think there is the highest amount of luxury cars per square meter here - after Dubai. I don't really understand how, even money laundering has it's limits...... or not?

The Hun
The family got out of the used car business because they couldn't compete with the money laundering car dealers who sell at almost any price..